Equation for a Basketball Shot

• Thread starter Leonof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary, the relevant equations for finding the velocity needed to make a shot under ideal conditions are: v_y(t) = v0 sin(a) - (g*t) and y(t) = y0 + v0 sin(a)*t - (1/2)g*t^2.
Leonof

Homework Statement

I don't know what equation to use. i am trying to find out the velocity need to make a shot. the conditions are ideal.
initial height: 6 feet
initial vertical velocity:unknown
angle of trajectory: 45 degrees
range: 14 feet
time:2 seconds
basketball hoop height: 10 feet

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Leonof said:

Homework Statement

I don't know what equation to use. i am trying to find out the velocity need to make a shot. the conditions are ideal.
initial height: 6 feet
initial vertical velocity:unknown
angle of trajectory: 45 degrees
range: 14 feet
time:2 seconds
basketball hoop height: 10 feet

Welcome to the PF. The Relevant Equations are the kinematic equations of motion for a constant acceleration (the acceleration due to gravity). Can you list those for us?

v_y(t) = _________

y(t) = __________

And you have a constant velocity in the x direction, so you can write:

x(t) = __________

xt=x0 + v0 cos(a) t
y(t) = y0 + v0 sin(a) t - (1/2) g t^2

i don't understand what is meant by v_y(t)

Leonof said:
xt=x0 + v0 cos(a) t
y(t) = y0 + v0 sin(a) t - (1/2) g t^2

i don't understand what is meant by v_y(t)

Good start. v_y is shorthand for the velocity in the y direction. Written more clearly in Latex:

[tex]v_y[/tex]

v_y=vsin0-(gx/vcos0)

so 14+4cos45*2=18.2
-> 4sin45-(g*18.2/4cos45)?

Related to Equation for a Basketball Shot

1. What is the equation for a basketball shot?

The equation for a basketball shot is: d = (v0 * t) + (1/2 * a * t2), where d is the distance the ball travels, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time the ball is in the air, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the equation for a basketball shot derived?

The equation for a basketball shot is derived from the basic principles of physics, specifically kinematics. It takes into account the initial velocity of the ball, the time it takes for the ball to travel, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the distance of a basketball shot?

There are several factors that can affect the distance of a basketball shot, including the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which the ball is released, the height of the release point, and air resistance. Additionally, factors such as the player's strength, technique, and accuracy also play a role in the distance of the shot.

4. How can the equation for a basketball shot be used in real life?

The equation for a basketball shot can be used in real life to determine the ideal release angle and velocity for a successful shot. It can also be used to analyze and improve a player's shooting technique, as well as to predict the trajectory of the ball and adjust for any external factors that may affect the shot.

5. Is the equation for a basketball shot accurate for all types of shots?

The equation for a basketball shot is a simplified model that does not take into account certain factors, such as air resistance and the spin of the ball. Therefore, it may not be completely accurate for all types of shots. However, it can still provide a good estimate for the distance of a shot and is a valuable tool for understanding the physics behind shooting a basketball.