Equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory

In summary, solving the Langevin equation yields an equation of the mean-square displacement, which is a function of time.
H Quizzagan
I am trying to understand how one can simulate the trajectory of a Brownian particle as a function of time. I am only able to do it with the assumption that I can simply generate random values of x and then take the cumulative sums of these values to get the trajectory of the Brownian particle.

But, are there different sets of equations that guides or regarding the function x(t) that I can easily use to simulate the trajectory of a Brownian particle? Thank you so much!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of motion for a Brownian particle is called Langevin equation, which is a stochastic differential equation. In the most simple one-dimensional form it reads
$$\dot{p}+\gamma p + \sqrt{2B} \xi(t)=0,$$
where ##B=m \gamma T## (where ##m## is the mass of the Brownian particle, ##T## the temperature of the fluid the particle is moving in), ##\gamma## is the friction coeffcient, and ##\xi## is normalized Gaussian white noise,
$$\langle \xi(t) \xi(t') \rangle=\delta(t-t').$$

Likes H Quizzagan and Delta2
Indeed, the Langevin equation is useful in describing Brownian motion. Correct me if I am wrong, but is it that solving this differential equation yields for an equation of the mean-square displacement. This mean-square displacement which is a function of time is the analytical way to solve for the trajectory/position of the Brownian particle over time?

Yes, you can easily solve the equation analytically in the sense that you can derive the phase-space distribution functions. The point is that adding many Gaussian distributed independent random numbers you get again a Gaussian distribution. Thus both the momentum and the position are Gaussian distributions. Thus you have to evaluate the mean (for given initial conditions) ##(\langle x(t) \rangle, \langle p(t) \rangle)## and the covariance matrices ##\langle x_i(t) x_j(t)##, ##\langle p_i(t) p_j(t)##, and ##\langle x_i(t) p_j(t)##.

The calculation is a bit lengthy for the forum, but the idea is as follows: You calculate the Green's function of the deterministic part of the equation, i.e.,
$$\dot{G}+\gamma G=\delta(t) \; \Rightarrow \; G(t)=\Theta(t) \exp(-\gamma t)$$
Then the solution for the stochastic equation reads
$$p(t)=-\sqrt{2B} \int_0^t \mathrm{d} t' G(t-t') \xi(t')+p_0 \exp(-\gamma t).$$
Because ##\dot{x}=p/m## you need to integrate this only once more for ##x(t)##, and then you can evaluate all the needed averages using
$$\langle \xi(t) \rangle=0, \quad \langle \xi(t) \xi(t') \rangle=\delta(t-t').$$

Likes H Quizzagan

What is the equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory?

The equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory is x(t) = x(0) + ξ(t)*sqrt(t), where x(t) is the position of the particle at time t, x(0) is the initial position of the particle, and ξ(t) is a random variable representing the displacement of the particle at time t.

What does the equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory represent?

The equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory represents the random movement of a particle in a fluid due to collisions with the fluid's molecules. This movement is known as Brownian motion and is a fundamental concept in statistical physics.

How is the equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory derived?

The equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory is derived from the Langevin equation, which describes the motion of a particle in a fluid under the influence of random forces. The Langevin equation is a stochastic differential equation that takes into account the random nature of Brownian motion.

What are the assumptions made in the equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory?

The equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory makes the following assumptions: 1) The particles are small compared to the size of the fluid molecules, 2) The particles do not interact with each other, 3) The particles are in constant motion due to collisions with the fluid molecules, and 4) The collisions are random and follow a Gaussian distribution.

Can the equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory be applied to all types of particles?

The equation for Brownian Motion Trajectory can be applied to particles of any size, as long as the assumptions stated above hold true. However, the equation may need to be modified for particles that do not follow a Gaussian distribution or interact with each other. Additionally, the equation may not accurately describe the motion of particles in non-ideal conditions such as highly viscous fluids or in the presence of external forces.