Equation of Continuity - Flow rate through an artery

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving calculating flow speed in an artery with different radii. The student is unsure if their answer is correct and would like confirmation. A solution is provided, with a suggestion to use more digits when using numerical values for constants to avoid rounding errors.
Kate L
I'm really confused by this question, as it is different than the examples we did in class. I've compared my answer with a few classmates and I'm getting a different one, so I'm not sure if I've done it wrong or if they have. I'd really just like to know if I am on the right track! Thank you :)

1. Homework Statement

Blood flows at 0.465 cm/sec through an artery with an inside radius of 2.85 mm. What is the flow speed in another section where the artery radius increases to 4.35 mm? Round final answer to 3 significant figures.

Givens:
v1= 0.465 cm/sec
r1 = 2.85 mm
r2 = 4.35 mm

Homework Equations

A1v1=A2v2
A=3.14(r)2

The Attempt at a Solution

Convert v1 = 0.465 cm/sec to 0.00465 m/sec
Convert r1 = 2.85 mm to 0.00285 m
Convert r2 = 4.35 mm to 0.00435 m
Find A1→ A1=3.14(0.00285)2 = 2.550465x10-5
Find A2→ A2=3.14(0.00435)2 = 5.941665x10-5

A1v1 = A2v2
v2 = (A1v1) ÷ A2
= [2.550465x10-5(0.00465)] ÷ 5.941665x10-5
= 1.996016647x10-3
= 2.00x10-3 m/sec

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kate L, Welcome to Physics Forums.

You've done all right, the result looks good.

One thing you might keep in mind when using numerical values for constants like ##\pi## is to use more digits than the required number of significant figures. Otherwise rounding errors can creep into your results. The value of ##\pi## that you've used: 3.14, is already rounded (or truncated) to three significant figures. A better choice would be to use something like 3.1416. For this problem it doesn't make a difference because its influence cancels out when you divide one area by the other.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind!

1. What is the Equation of Continuity?

The Equation of Continuity is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states that the mass flow rate of a fluid through a pipe or conduit must remain constant, as long as the pipe is not changing in size or shape.

2. How is the Equation of Continuity used in the context of flow rate through an artery?

In the context of flow rate through an artery, the Equation of Continuity is used to calculate the velocity of blood flow in the artery, based on the cross-sectional area of the artery and the blood flow rate. This information is important in understanding the health and functionality of the cardiovascular system.

3. What factors can affect the flow rate through an artery?

The flow rate through an artery can be affected by several factors, including the diameter of the artery, the viscosity of the blood, and any blockages or constrictions in the artery. Changes in blood pressure and heart rate can also impact the flow rate.

4. How is the Equation of Continuity related to Bernoulli's Principle?

The Equation of Continuity is derived from Bernoulli's Principle, which states that the sum of kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy in a fluid must remain constant along a streamline. The Equation of Continuity is a specific application of this principle to the conservation of mass in a fluid flow.

5. Can the Equation of Continuity be applied to other systems besides fluid flow through an artery?

Yes, the Equation of Continuity can be applied to any system where there is a continuous flow of a substance or entity. For example, it can be used to calculate the flow of electricity in a circuit or the flow of traffic on a road. The principle of conservation of mass is a fundamental concept in many fields of science and engineering.