Equation of slope of a function that passes thru a point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a tangent line given a point and a slope. The point-slope formula is used to find the equation, which can then be rearranged into the two-intercept form. The mid-point formula is also mentioned, which can be used to find the point of tangency. The conversation also touches on the concept of intercepts and how they can be calculated using the given information. Various steps and calculations are provided to help understand the concept better.
Nemo1
Hi Community,

I have this following tutorial question and I am stuck.
View attachment 5516

I understand how to take the derivative and find the tangent line at certain value for \(\displaystyle x\)

Which would say if \(\displaystyle x=2\) and the derivative of \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}\) equals \(\displaystyle \frac{-1}{x^{2}}\) then the slope would be \(\displaystyle y=\frac{-1}{4}x\)

I am unsure of how to work out the answer from \(\displaystyle a,\frac{1}{a}\)

Any help would be appreciated in helping me understand this.

Cheers Nemo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 2.18.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 2.18.48 PM.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 79
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Nemo! :)

a) To get the equation of a line, all we need is a point on the line and it's slope. We know a point on the tangent line is:

\(\displaystyle \left(a,\frac{1}{a}\right)\)

And we know the slope of the tangent line is:

\(\displaystyle f'(a)=-\frac{1}{a^2}\)

Can you now use the point-slope formula to get the equation of the tangent line?

b) Once you have the equation of the tangent line, try expressing this line in the two-intercept form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{u}+\frac{y}{v}=1\)

Since we know the points:

\(\displaystyle (0,v),\,(u,0)\)

are on the line...and these are the intersects.

c) Use the mid-point formula to show the tangent point is the mid-point of the two intercepts.

So if I am interpreting this correctly.

Knowing \(\displaystyle \frac{x}{u}+\frac{y}{v}=1\)

I can plugin in \(\displaystyle \left(a,\frac{1}{a}\right)\)

to get \(\displaystyle \frac{a}{1}+\frac{\frac{1}{a}}{2a}=1\)

Giving me the point-slope formula

Where \(\displaystyle 1\) is the derivative of the constant \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle 2a\) is the derivative of \(\displaystyle {a}^{2}\)

This seems to have confused me more as I feel like I have skipped a concept in there somehow.

The point-slope formula is:

\(\displaystyle y=m(x-x_1)+y_1\)

Where $(x_1,y_1)$ is the point we know, and $m$ is the slope we know.

In our case, we know:

\(\displaystyle (x_1,y_1)=\left(a,\frac{1}{a}\right)\) and \(\displaystyle m=-\frac{1}{a^2}\)

So, plugging in those values, what do you get for the equation of the tangent line?

MarkFL said:
The point-slope formula is:

\(\displaystyle y=m(x-x_1)+y_1\)

Where $(x_1,y_1)$ is the point we know, and $m$ is the slope we know.

In our case, we know:

\(\displaystyle (x_1,y_1)=\left(a,\frac{1}{a}\right)\) and \(\displaystyle m=-\frac{1}{a^2}\)

So, plugging in those values, what do you get for the equation of the tangent line?

Would it be: \(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{a^2}(x-a)+\frac{1}{a}\)

I am so unsure at the moment, sorry Mark, I really appreciate your help!

Nemo said:
Would it be: \(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{a^2}(x-a)+\frac{1}{a}\)

I am so unsure at the moment, sorry Mark, I really appreciate your help!

Yes, that's correct! (Sun)

I would likely simplify this into the slope-intercept form:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{a^2}x+\frac{2}{a}\)

Now, from this you already know the $y$-intercept \(\displaystyle \left(0,\frac{2}{a}\right)\), so you might just want to let $y=0$ and solve for $x$ to get the $x$-intercept, rather than using the two-intercept form.

Can you now list both intercepts?

Just to finish up...

The equation of the tangent line in slope-intercept form is:

\(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{a^2}x+\frac{2}{a}\)

Arranging the equation into the two-intercept form, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{2a}+\frac{y}{\dfrac{2}{a}}=1\)

And so we know our intercepts are:

\(\displaystyle \left(2a,0\right),\,\left(0,\frac{2}{a}\right)\)

Now, using the mid-point formula, we find the point midway between these intercepts is:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{2a+0}{2},\frac{0+\dfrac{2}{a}}{2}\right)=\left(a,\frac{1}{a}\right)\)

And this is the point of tangency, as required. :)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the extra information, I have been revisiting the point-slope and slope-intercept formulas on khan academy.
I was not aware that there was a two-intecerpt form and I am still getting my head around it.

I am wondering now as well that when looking at the graph we can see that one of the intercepts is at $(0,2.5)$ and the other is at $(0,?)$ how does this fit in with the calculated values of \(\displaystyle \left(2a,0\right),\,\left(0,\frac{2}{a}\right)\)?

Should be calculating the actual coordinates of the intercepts with the $x$ $\&$ $y$ $axis$?

I worry that a question like this will be on my exam in 6 weeks time and I'll sit there frozen.

Again, thanks heaps for teaching me these concepts!

Cheers Nemo

Nemo said:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the extra information, I have been revisiting the point-slope and slope-intercept formulas on khan academy.
I was not aware that there was a two-intecerpt form and I am still getting my head around it.

I am wondering now as well that when looking at the graph we can see that one of the intercepts is at $(0,2.5)$ and the other is at $(0,?)$ how does this fit in with the calculated values of \(\displaystyle \left(2a,0\right),\,\left(0,\frac{2}{a}\right)\)?

Should be calculating the actual coordinates of the intercepts with the $x$ $\&$ $y$ $axis$?

I worry that a question like this will be on my exam in 6 weeks time and I'll sit there frozen.

Again, thanks heaps for teaching me these concepts!

Cheers Nemo

If the $y$-intercept is at \(\displaystyle \left(0,\frac{5}{2}\right)\) then we an find $a$ from:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{a}=\frac{5}{2}\implies a=\frac{4}{5}\)

and so the $x$-intercept is at:

\(\displaystyle (2a,0)=\left(\frac{8}{5},0\right)\)

The graph simply shows you one possible value of $a$...we can let $a$ be any non-zero real number (since this is the domain of \(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{1}{x}\)).

Ok, so I have been working thru this last section and have determined the following from Marks help:

First: The slope at the point \(\displaystyle \left(a,\frac{1}{a}\right)\) is the derivative of the $y$ $coordintate$ \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{a}\) = \(\displaystyle f'(a)=-\frac{1}{a^2}\)

Second: Using the Point-Slope Formula \(\displaystyle y=m(x-x_1)+y_1\)

We can plugin our slope from step one to get \(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{a^2}(x-a)+\frac{1}{a}\) simplified to \(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{a^2}x+\frac{2}{a}\)

Third: Converting \(\displaystyle y=-\frac{1}{a^2}x+\frac{2}{a}\) into the two-slope form \(\displaystyle \frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1\) we get \(\displaystyle \frac{x}{2a}+\frac{y}{\frac{2}{a}}=1\)

So we know now our intercepts are \(\displaystyle \left(2a,0\right),\,\left(0,\frac{2}{a}\right)\)

Fourth: Using the mid-point formula \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{x_1+x_2}{2},\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}\right)=(x,y)\)

We get \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{2a+0}{2},\frac{0+\dfrac{2}{a}}{2}\right)=\left(a,\frac{1}{a}\right)\)

Fifth: Looking at the graph we know the $y$ $axis$ intercept is at $2.5$ or \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{2}\) in its fractional form or \(\displaystyle (0,\frac{5}{2})\) we can plug this into \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{a}=\frac{5}{2}\) and solve for $a$ and get \(\displaystyle a=\frac{4}{5}\)

Sixth: Now we know that \(\displaystyle a=\frac{4}{5}\) we can plug this into the original $x$ $intercept$ of \(\displaystyle (2a,0)\) to get \(\displaystyle (\frac{8}{5},0)\)

Seventh: We now have all we need to determine the Mid-point coordinates:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{\frac{8}{5}}{2},\frac{\frac{\frac{2}{4}}{5}}{2}\right)=\frac{4}{5},\frac{5}{4}\)

Graphing this I get the following:
View attachment 5535

Please let me know if I have made an error in my explanation, I find by explaining it back helps me learn and hopefully be able to apply these skills confidently to other new problems.

Cheers Nemo

+ Massive thanks to Mark!

Attachments

• Question 4 graph low.jpg
    Question 4 graph low.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 56
Hello, Nemo! (Wave)

It's a genuine pleasure to help someone who is truly interested in gaining a better understand. (Sun)

The only thing I would add to in your review of the problem is your first point. When you say you are taking the derivative of the $y$-coordinate, it would probably be better to say you are taking the given function:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{1}{x}\)

And differentiating w.r.t $x$ to get:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=-\frac{1}{x^2}\)

and then observing that the slope $m$ of the tangent line passing through \(\displaystyle \left(a,\frac{1}{a}\right)\) would be:

\(\displaystyle m=f'(a)=-\frac{1}{a^2}\)

While what you did works and is technically correct, I think it is more instructive to look at like this instead. But, we all have our own way of seeing things, and so you should feel free to develop your own style as long as it follows the rules of the calculus.

Nice graph, by the way. (Yes)

Hi Mark,

I agree about differentiating w.r.t $x$, I feel that because I am only gaining confidence at the moment and at Uni people throw that sentence around a lot it gives me pause in using it.

Cheers Nemo.

Related to Equation of slope of a function that passes thru a point

1. What is the equation of the slope of a function that passes through a point?

The equation of the slope of a function that passes through a point is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This is known as the slope-intercept form of a linear equation.

2. Can you explain the significance of the slope in this equation?

The slope, represented by the letter m, represents the rate of change of the function. It is a measure of how steep or flat the line is. A positive slope indicates that the line is increasing, while a negative slope indicates a decreasing line. The larger the slope, the steeper the line will be.

3. How is the slope of a function calculated?

The slope of a function can be calculated by determining the change in y-values over the change in x-values between two points on the line. This can be expressed as (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line. This formula is also known as the "rise over run" method.

4. Is it possible to determine the slope of a function if only one point is given?

No, it is not possible to determine the slope of a function with only one point given. This is because the slope is the change in y-values over the change in x-values, and with only one point, there is no change in values to calculate the slope.

5. In what situations is the equation of the slope of a function that passes through a point useful?

The equation of the slope of a function is useful in many situations, including graphing and analyzing linear relationships, calculating rates of change, and predicting future values. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to describe and model real-world phenomena.