Equation of state of a solid

In summary: You just need to express V as a function of T and p. Note that V0 is a constant so it will drop out of the equation.Then your answer is correct. You just need to express V as a function of T and p. Note that V0 is a constant so it will drop out of the equation.In summary, the problem asks to find the equation of state for a solid with given isobaric and isothermal coefficients. After taking the integral, the volume equation is V = cT^2 - bpT + Vo, but since Vo = 0, the equation simplifies to V = cT^2 - bpT. However, to satisfy the second equation, V should be expressed
hnnhcmmngs

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find the equation of state of a solid that has an isobaric expansion coefficient
dV/dT = 2cT - bp
and an isothermal pressure-volume coefficient
dV/dp = -bT
(Assume the solid has a volume Vo at zero temperature and pressure. Enter a mathematical equation. Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)

Homework Equations

None, just need to find the integral of the first equation

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I took the integral of the first equation to find the volume equation:
V = ∫(2cT - bp)dT = cT^2 - bpT + Vo
but Vo = 0, so:
V = cT^2 - bpT
or
V - cT^2 +bpT = 0
However, when I entered this as the answer, it marked it as wrong. Then I found the answer to this question in my textbook and it says that the correct answer is:
V - bpT + cT^2 = 0
So is the textbook wrong? Or did I do something wrong in my solution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't look like your answer satisfies the 2nd equation in your problem statement.

Chestermiller said:
It doesn't look like your answer satisfies the 2nd equation in your problem statement.
How do I make my answer satisfy the 2nd equation? I'm just a little confused because this isn't something we went over in the lecture.

After the first integration, ##V_0## should be considered a function of p, ##V_0(p)##. So, at constant temperature,
$$\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial p}\right)_T=-bT+\frac{dV_0}{dp}=-bT$$

Wait a minute! You edited the original problem statement. Which is it?

Chestermiller said:
After the first integration, ##V_0## should be considered a function of p, ##V_0(p)##. So, at constant temperature,
$$\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial p}\right)_T=-bT+\frac{dV_0}{dp}=-bT$$

Wait a minute! You edited the original problem statement. Which is it?
The current equations above are the right ones. I originally mistyped the question.

hnnhcmmngs said:
The current equations above are the right ones. I originally mistyped the question.
Then your answer is correct.

Likes hnnhcmmngs

What is the equation of state of a solid?

The equation of state of a solid is a mathematical relationship that describes how the physical properties of a solid, such as volume, pressure, and temperature, are related under different conditions.

What factors influence the equation of state of a solid?

The equation of state of a solid is influenced by the type of solid, its composition, and the external conditions such as temperature and pressure.

Why is the equation of state of a solid important?

The equation of state of a solid is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict how a solid will behave under different conditions. This is crucial for many applications, from material science to engineering and geology.

How is the equation of state of a solid determined?

The equation of state of a solid can be determined experimentally by measuring the physical properties of the solid under different conditions and fitting them to a mathematical model. It can also be calculated theoretically using quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics principles.

What are some common equations of state for solids?

Some common equations of state for solids include the Murnaghan equation, the Birch-Murnaghan equation, and the Vinet equation. These equations are used to describe the behavior of solids under different conditions and are often specific to certain types of solids, such as metals or minerals.