Equation of states for a gas that forms dimers

In summary: So the pressure is:$$P=\frac{nRT}{V_T}=n_0\frac{RT}{V_T}\left(1-\frac{K_C}{V}\right)=n_0\frac{RT}{V_T}\left(1-\frac{K_C}{V_T/n_0}\right)$$$$=PV_0\left(1-\frac{K_C}{V_0}\right)$$In summary, the equation of state of a gas that dimerizes to a small extent is given by:##\dfrac{PV}{RT} = 1 - \dfrac{K_c}{V}##, where ##K_c## is the equilibrium constant for the
Buffu

Homework Statement

Show that to a first approximation the equation of state of a gas that dimerizes to a small extent is given by,

##\dfrac{PV}{RT} = 1 - \dfrac{K_c}{V}##

Where ##K_c## is equilibrium constant for ##A + A \iff A_2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using virial expansion, I get

##\dfrac{PV}{RT} = 1 + \dfrac{B}{V} + \cdots##

Neglecting higher order terms,

I need to prove ##B = -\dfrac{[A]^2}{[A_2]} = - K_c##,

I know how to compute ##B## from already known equation of states but I don't know any relation between ##B## and ##K_c##.

Any hints please :).

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:

Homework Statement

Show that to a first approximation the equation of state of a gas that dimerizes to a small extent is given by,

##\dfrac{PV}{RT} = 1 - \dfrac{K_c}{V}##

Where ##K_c## is equilibrium constant for ##A + A \iff A_2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using virial expansion, I get

##\dfrac{PV}{RT} = 1 + \dfrac{B}{V} + \cdots##

Neglecting higher order terms,

I need to prove ##B = -\dfrac{[A]^2}{[A_2]} = - K_c##,

I know how to compute ##B## from already known equation of states but I don't know any relation between ##B## and ##K_c##.

Any hints please :).
Treat the gas as ideal, but with the number of moles changing.

Chestermiller said:
Treat the gas as ideal, but with the number of moles changing.

Let the amount of gas in moles be ##x## and intial amount be ##n## moles.

Then ##[A] = x/V## and ##[A_2] = (n -x)/V##

So, ##K_c = \dfrac{x^2}{V(n -x)}## --- (1)

also ##\dfrac{PV}{RT} = x## --- (2)

Should I solve for ##x## in ##(1)## and susbtitute it in ##(2)## ?

This does not feel correct.

What is Kc supposed to be? Is it supposed to be based on concentrations or partial pressures? The Kc as you have written it is based on $$A_2---> 2A_1$$. Is that what it is supposed to be?

Chestermiller said:
What is Kc supposed to be? Is it supposed to be based on concentrations or partial pressures? The Kc as you have written it is based on $$A_2---> 2A_1$$. Is that what it is supposed to be?
Concentrations.

OK. Here goes. At very large specific volumes, the contents of the tank will be all A, but, as the specific volume is decreased, some A2 will be formed at the expense of A. Let ##V_T## be the current volume of the tank, and let ##n_0## be the number of moles of A that would be present in the tank if ##V_T## became very large. At volume ##V_T##, suppose that there are now x moles of ##A_2##. Then the moles of A will be ##n_0-2x##, and the total number of moles will be ##n=n_0-x##. So, the concentrations of A and ##A_2## when the volume is ##V_T## will be:

$$[A]=\frac{(n_0-2x)}{V_T}$$
$$[A_2]=\frac{x}{V_T}$$

These concentrations are related by the equilibrium constant for the reaction:
$$\frac{[A_2]}{[A]^2}=\frac{xV_T}{(n_0-2x)^2}=K_C$$If we neglect 2x in comparison to ##n_0##, we can solve this equation for x, and obtain:
$$x=n_0^2\frac{K_C}{V_T}$$So the total number of moles at volume ##V_T## is given by:
$$n=n_0-n_0^2\frac{K_C}{V_T}=n_0\left(1-\frac{K_C}{(V_T/n_0)}\right)=n_0\left(1-\frac{K_C}{V}\right)$$where V is the apparent specific volume ##V_T/n_0##

Likes Buffu

1. What is an equation of state for a gas that forms dimers?

An equation of state for a gas that forms dimers is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between the physical properties of the gas, such as pressure, volume, and temperature, and the behavior of the gas molecules, which can form pairs or dimers. This equation takes into account the interactions between the gas molecules and the formation of dimers.

2. How is the equation of state for a gas that forms dimers different from a regular gas equation of state?

The equation of state for a gas that forms dimers is different from a regular gas equation of state because it considers the additional interactions between gas molecules that can form dimers. These interactions can affect the overall behavior of the gas, making it more complex than a regular gas.

3. What factors influence the equation of state for a gas that forms dimers?

The equation of state for a gas that forms dimers is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the interactions between gas molecules, the concentration of dimers in the gas, and the temperature and pressure of the gas. These factors can affect the formation and stability of dimers, which in turn affects the overall behavior of the gas.

4. Can the equation of state for a gas that forms dimers be applied to all gases?

No, the equation of state for a gas that forms dimers is specific to gases that have the ability to form dimers. This includes gases such as hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen, which can form diatomic molecules. Other gases that do not have this ability will require different equations of state to accurately describe their behavior.

5. How is the equation of state for a gas that forms dimers derived?

The equation of state for a gas that forms dimers is derived using statistical mechanics, which involves analyzing the behavior of a large number of gas molecules. This approach takes into account the interactions between gas molecules and the formation of dimers, and uses mathematical models to describe their behavior at different temperatures and pressures.