Equation to give the lookback time as a function of redshift

happyparticle
Homework Statement
Inverting ##z = H_0(t_0 - t_e) + (1 + \frac{q_0}{2}H_0^2(t_0 - t_e)^2)## to give the lookback time as a function of redshift ##t_0 - t_e = H_0^{-1}[z - (1 + \frac{q_0}{2})z^2]##
Relevant Equations
##H_0## is the Hubble's constant
##q_0## is the deceleration parameter
##z## is the redshift
Hi,
I'm currently reading the introduction to cosmology second edition by Barbara Ryden and at the page 105, the author says we get ##t_0 - t_e = H_0^{-1}[z - (1 + \frac{q_0}{2})z^2]## by inverting ##z = H_0(t_0 - t_e) + (1 + \frac{q_0}{2}H_0^2(t_0 - t_e)^2)##.

However, I can't figure out how she got this result.
Any help will be appreciate.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
happyparticle said:
Homework Statement: Inverting ##z = H_0(t_0 - t_e) + (1 + \frac{q_0}{2}H_0^2(t_0 - t_e)^2)## to give the lookback time as a function of redshift ##t_0 - t_e = H_0^{-1}[z - (1 + \frac{q_0}{2})z^2]##
Relevant Equations: ##H_0## is the Hubble's constant
##q_0## is the deceleration parameter
##z## is the redshift

Hi,
I'm currently reading the introduction to cosmology second edition by Barbara Ryden and at the page 105, the author says we get ##t_0 - t_e = H_0^{-1}[z - (1 + \frac{q_0}{2})z^2]## by inverting ##z = H_0(t_0 - t_e) + (1 + \frac{q_0}{2}H_0^2(t_0 - t_e)^2)##.

However, I can't figure out how she got this result.
Any help will be appreciate.

Thank you
I believe you have some typographical errors. The formula for ##z## should read $$z \approx H_0(t_0-t_e) + \left(\frac{1+q_0}{2} \right)H_0^2(t_0-t_e)^2.$$
This is an approximate expression that assumes ##H_0(t_0-t_e)## is small. So, the equation expresses ##z## to second order in ##H_0(t_0-t_e)##.

For convenience, let ##x = H_0(t_0-t_e)## and ##b = \large \frac{1+q_0}{2}##. So, we may write the relation as $$z \approx x+ bx^2$$ where ##x## is a small first-order term. When inverting this, you only need to get an approximate expression for ##x## in terms of ##z## that is accurate to second order in ##z##.

Can you see a way to do that?

Likes MatinSAR, happyparticle and Delta2
I can't see it. I tried a taylor's series but I don't get the same result.

I made a mistake. I think it works with a Taylor's series around z=0.

Thank you! I would not have seen it without your help.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR

What is the equation to give the lookback time as a function of redshift?

The equation to give the lookback time as a function of redshift is t(z) = ∫(1+z)/H(z) dz, where t(z) is the lookback time, z is the redshift, and H(z) is the Hubble parameter as a function of redshift.

How is the lookback time related to redshift?

The lookback time is related to redshift through the expansion history of the universe. As the universe expands, the light from distant objects is redshifted, and the lookback time is the time it took for that light to reach us.

Why is it important to study the lookback time as a function of redshift?

Studying the lookback time as a function of redshift allows us to understand the evolution of the universe over time. It provides crucial information about the age of the universe, the rate of expansion, and the formation of structures.

Can the equation for lookback time be derived from first principles?

Yes, the equation for lookback time can be derived from the basic principles of cosmology, such as the Friedmann equations and the Hubble parameter. It involves integrating the inverse of the Hubble parameter over redshift.

How does the lookback time vary with redshift?

The lookback time increases as the redshift increases, meaning that we are looking back further in time when observing objects with higher redshifts. This relationship is governed by the expansion history of the universe and the rate of cosmic expansion.