Equations for functions in the complex domain

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a line in the complex domain and the difference between using ##x## and ##y## as real or complex variables. The equation given, ##ax + by = c##, is a less explicit way of specifying a line in the complex plane, where ##y## is the imaginary part. The limitation of this approach is that it cannot specify a vertical line, as that requires ##b=0##. The conversation also clarifies that the equation is an informal way of referring to a line, which is actually a set of points in the complex plane. To solve the problem, one can first work with coordinates in the real plane and then convert to the complex plane for the final formula to make
TheCanadian
When working in the complex domain (##z = x + iy##), how does one write the equation of a line?

I have attached a problem I was working on (and have the solution), but am curious as to why the definition of a line is given by ##ax + by = c##. Are not ##x## and ##y## also variables that take on strictly real values? Should not this equation for this function (upon which an arbitrary point ##z^* = x^* + iy^*## will be reflected) be written: ## y = -i(\frac {a}{b})x + \frac {c}{b} ## since we are discussing the ##z##-plane where the imaginary axis corresponds to the value of ##y##?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 7.23.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 7.23.33 PM.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
A line is a set of points in the Complex plane that can be specified by three real parameters ##a,b,c## as follows:
$$l_{abc}\triangleq \{x+iy\ :\ x,y\in\mathbb R\wedge ax+by=c\}$$
The equation they have given is a slightly less explicit way of saying that.

Your approach uses ##x## and ##y## in different ways. Note that in yours ##y## is complex rather than real, so it would be better to replace ##y## by ##z##. A limitation of your approach is that it cannot specify a vertical line, as that requires ##b=0##.

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
A line is a set of points in the Complex plane that can be specified by three real parameters ##a,b,c## as follows:
$$l_{ab}\triangleq \{x+iy\ :\ x,y\in\mathbb R\wedge ax+by=c\}$$
The equation they have given is a slightly less explicit way of saying that.

Your approach uses ##x## and ##y## in different ways. Note that in yours ##y## is complex rather than real, so it would be better to replace ##y## by ##z##. A limitation of your approach is that it cannot specify a vertical line, as that requires ##b=0##.

Thank you for the response; yes, I see the flaw in my approach as ##y## is imaginary. I guess I'm lacking intuition in this problem of what exactly it means for a point ##z## that is complex being reflected over a line: ##ax + by = c##. Isn't this line purely real (e.g. plotted on such a graph)? It appears based on what you're saying that if we use the form ##ax + by = c##, that this accounts for ##y## being the imaginary part despite not being explicitly imaginary based on this equation. It just feels like solving this problem amounts to solving it over a normal 2-dimensional Cartesian grid with both real axes. I guess the answer really shouldn't be different if ##y## was the imaginary axis or a real axis if ##z## is converted to just an ordered pair ##(x,y)##.

TheCanadian said:
I guess the answer really shouldn't be different if ##y## was the imaginary axis or a real axis if ##z## is converted to just an ordered pair ##(x,y)##.
Correct. Bear in mind that ##ax+by=c## is an equation, not a line. It is a(n understandable) informal, but common, bending of terminology to call it a 'line'. The line is a set of points ##l_{abc}##, defined as in my post #2.

For your problem, you can consider the number plane as being ##\mathbb R^2## for the first part, where you work out the coordinates of the reflected points. None of that uses any properties of complex numbers. Then you need to convert from ##\mathbb R^2## to ##\mathbb C## for the last part, in order for the formula to make sense, as it contains multiplication and division of points in the plane.

Likes TheCanadian

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a function that maps complex numbers (numbers with both real and imaginary parts) to complex numbers. It can be written in the form f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where u and v are real-valued functions of the complex variable z = x + iy.

2. What are the equations for functions in the complex domain?

The equations for functions in the complex domain are similar to those in the real domain, with the main difference being that the variable is now a complex number. Some common examples include polynomial functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

3. How are complex functions graphed?

Complex functions can be graphed in the complex plane, where the x-axis represents the real part and the y-axis represents the imaginary part. The graph can also be visualized as a 3D surface, with the real and imaginary parts as the x and y coordinates, and the output of the function as the z coordinate.

4. What is the difference between a real and complex domain?

The main difference between a real and complex domain is the type of numbers that are used. In the real domain, the numbers are all real numbers, while in the complex domain, the numbers can have both real and imaginary parts. This allows for a wider range of functions to be defined and studied.

5. What are some applications of complex functions?

Complex functions have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model physical phenomena, such as electrical circuits and fluid flow. They are also used in quantum mechanics and signal processing. Additionally, complex functions are essential in the study of complex analysis, a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of a complex variable.