Equations of Motion: How Many Independent Equations?

In summary, when considering a system at rest, the number of equations of motion without redundancy depends on the degrees of freedom for linear and rotational acceleration. In 3D, there are 3 degrees of freedom for linear acceleration and 2 for rotational acceleration, resulting in 5 independent equations. However, in 2D, there are other combinations that can result in 5 independent equations, as long as the torque axes are not parallel to the linear force equation. The redundancy of equations also depends on the displacement of the torque axes and the direction used for the linear equation.
Thejas15101998
Say, I have a system at rest. I was wondering - how many equations of motion can the system have (without redundancy)? Well, I thought that equating the forces along 2 or 3 different axes would give 3 independent equations. Also equating torques would give some equations, but how many of them (independent) can I formulate? Kindly help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thejas15101998 said:
Say, I have a system at rest. I was wondering - how many equations of motion can the system have (without redundancy)? Well, I thought that equating the forces along 2 or 3 different axes would give 3 independent equations. Also equating torques would give some equations, but how many of them (independent) can I formulate? Kindly help me.
Assuming you mean a rigid body in equilibrium, count the potential accelerations. In 3D, the mass centre has three degrees of freedom for linear accelerations. That leaves rotational acceleration about the mass centre. In 3D, there are two degrees of freedom for the orientation of the net torque.

But it does not have to be three linear force equations and two torque. There are other ways of getting five independent equations in 3D. E.g. in 2D, instead of two linear and one torque you could have one linear and two torque, provided the two torque axes do not lie on a line parallel to the linear force equation.

Edit: I should have written "... do not lie on a line normal to the linear force equation".

Last edited:
Likes Thejas15101998
haruspex said:
But it does not have to be three linear force equations and two torque. There are other ways of getting five independent equations in 3D. E.g. in 2D, instead of two linear and one torque you could have one linear and two torque, provided the two torque axes do not lie on a line parallel to the linear force equation.

Could you please give me an example? And moreover, If two torque equations (considered from two different points on the plane say in case of 2D) are such that the torques are parallel to each other then does that always imply redundancy or not?
Thank You

Thejas15101998 said:
If two torque equations (considered from two different points on the plane say in case of 2D) are such that the torques are parallel to each other then does that always imply redundancy
It's not whether the torques are parallel. In a 2D set-up, torques are all normal to the plane, so are all parallel. But what I wrote before is not correct either.

The issue is whether the vector displacement of the two axes is normal to the direction used for the linear equation. E.g. suppose you consider force balance in the X direction and torque balance about the origin. For the third equation you can use a force balance equation in any direction except parallel to the X axis, or a torque balance about any point not on the Y axis.
To see this, suppose the system of forces sums to a force FX in the X direction, FY in the Y direction, and a torque τo about the origin. The torque about a point at (0,y) is τo+yFX. So if we write equations for forces in the X direction and torque about the origin, an equation for torque about (0,y) woukd be redundant.

What are equations of motion?

Equations of motion are mathematical equations that describe the motion of objects in space. These equations are used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time.

How many independent equations are there in equations of motion?

There are three independent equations in equations of motion, known as the three laws of motion. These include Newton's first law, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force; Newton's second law, which relates force, mass, and acceleration; and Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Why are equations of motion important?

Equations of motion are important because they allow us to accurately describe and predict the movement of objects in space. They are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, and are used to design and analyze various systems and structures.

Can equations of motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, equations of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. They can also be applied to both macroscopic and microscopic objects, as long as the three laws of motion are followed.

Are the equations of motion always accurate?

The equations of motion are based on the three laws of motion, which are fundamental principles in physics. However, they may not always be accurate in real-world situations due to factors such as air resistance and friction. In these cases, more complex equations may need to be used to account for these external forces.