Equations of State in Modern Classical Physics (Thorne/Blandford)

In summary: Fermi momentum and energy in a convenient way using hyperbolic functions. It simplifies the equations and allows for a more concise description of the ideal relativistic Fermi gas at ##T=0##. In summary, the parameter ##t## in the equations of state for the hydrogen gas (relativistically degenerate) is introduced for convenience as a way to express the relationship between the Fermi energy and Fermi momentum using hyperbolic functions. It does not have a specific physical or mathematical meaning, but simplifies the equations and allows for a more concise description of the ideal relativistic Fermi gas at ##T=0##. This parameter is denoted as ##t
RobertDSmeets
TL;DR Summary: Questions regarding the book "Modern Classical Physics" by Thorne/Blandford

Hello,
I'm going through this book and on pg. 127, regarding equations of state, there is a parameter, t (explicitly stated: "not to be confused with time"), that uses hyperbolic functions to relate the Fermi energy and the Fermi momentum (when multiplied with mass, in this case, of an electron). The parameter is just given as a parameter (used as t/4) with no information about what it represents. I am trying to understand what exactly this parameter represents. It is then used to describe particle density, mass-energy density, and pressure for hydrogen gas (relativistically degenerate).

I am not sure what this parameter is, both mathematically and physically. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I figured I'd just start a thread where people can ask questions related to the book.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have a much higher chance to get replies if you ask in the physics section, where you type the relevant equation(s) in LaTeX.

Anyway, the parameter ##t## is introduced in equation (3.52a)
##\mathcal{E}_F \equiv m_e \cosh(t/4)## and ##p_F \equiv m_e \sinh(t/4)##

If you want to know what ##t## is in terms of ##\mathcal{E}_F## and ##p_F## just solve for ##t## in the definition above.

Likes RobertDSmeets
RobertDSmeets said:
I am trying to understand what exactly this parameter represents.
It's just there for convenience's sake. Since the Fermi energy and the Fermi momentum are related to each other (they're not independent), one may want to use just one parameter instead. And since they are related in the same way hyperbolic functions are (3.50), it seems very attractive to express them like that.

Likes RobertDSmeets and malawi_glenn
Yes ##\mathcal{E}_F{}^2 - p_F{}^2 = m_e{}^2## and then you use the hyperbolic identity ##\cosh^2(x) - \sinh^2(x) = 1##

Likes RobertDSmeets and vanhees71
malawi_glenn said:
You will have a much higher chance to get replies if you ask in the physics section, where you type the relevant equation(s) in LaTeX.
Thread moved back to the Classical Physics forum (where it started out).

Likes RobertDSmeets
Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with LaTeX formatting.

regarding this:
Dragon27 said:
It's just there for convenience's sake. Since the Fermi energy and the Fermi momentum are related to each other (they're not independent), one may want to use just one parameter instead. And since they are related in the same way hyperbolic functions are (3.50), it seems very attractive to express them like that.
I'm not exactly sure what the Fermi momentum is, exactly. Eqn. 3.52a explains the mathematical relationship of it to the Fermi energy, but I'm not exactly sure what it is conceptually. Is it the momentum of the particle when the particle is at the highest energy state at 0K?

Though, I do think I have a better grasp on what t represents. Thanks!

Last edited:
RobertDSmeets said:
Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with LaTeX formatting.
Please see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. It's a requirement for posting math here at PF. Thanks. :smile:

Likes RobertDSmeets
It's the description of an ideal relativistic Fermi gas at ##T=0##.

Generally one should note that the classical phase-space distribution function ##f(t,\vec{x},\vec{p}## for "on-shell" particles with ##(p^0)^2=E^2=m^2+\vec{p}^2## (using natural units with ##\hbar=c=1##) is a scalar field. The particle-number four-current is
$$J^{\mu}=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 p}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{p^{\mu}}{E} f(t,\vec{x},\vec{p}),$$
which is a four-vector field as it must be. Note that everywhere ##p^0=E=+\sqrt{\vec{p}^2+m^2}##.

Similarly the energy-momentum tensor is given by
$$T^{\mu \nu}= \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 p}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{p^{\mu} p^{\nu}}{E} f(t,\vec{x},\vec{p}).$$
For the ideal Fermi gas at ##T=0## in global thermal equilibrium in the rest frame of the gas
$$f(t,\vec{x},\vec{p})=g \Theta(p_F-|\vec{p}),$$
where ##p_F## is the Fermi momentum, and ##g## is the degeneracy factor (e.g., due to spin, for which ##g=2s+1##). It's determined by the given density of the gas, i.e., using spherical coordinates for the integral over ##\vec{p}##,
$$n=J^0=\frac{4 \pi g}{(2 \pi)^3} \int_0^{p_F} \mathrm{d} p p^2 =\frac{4 \pi g}{3 (2 \pi)^3} p_F^3.$$
The total energy density is
$$\varepsilon=T^{00}=\frac{4 \pi g}{(2 \pi)^3} \int_{0}^{p_F} \mathrm{d} p p^2 \sqrt{p^2+m^2}.$$
Here it becomes clear that it is convenient to parametrize ##p## with hyperbolic functions. For some reason, I'm not clear about, Thorne chooses the convention
$$p=m \sinh(t/4) \; \Rightarrow \; E=\sqrt{m^2+p^2}=m \cosh(t/4).$$
Setting thus ##p_F=m \sinh(t_F/4)## you get
$$n=\frac{4 \pi g}{3} \frac{m^3}{2 \pi^3} \sinh(t_F/4).$$
Note that this is consistent with the textbook since for electrons ##g=2s+1=2## and if using explicitly ##\hbar##, you have to write ##m^3/(2 \pi \hbar)^3=m^3/h^3=1/\lambda_c^3##, where ##\lambda_c## is the Compton wavelength. Also since I use ##t## for the parameter for the ##p## integration, I used ##t_F## for the corresponding value, i.e., ##p_F=m \sinh(t_F/4)##. So where Thorne writes ##t## in my convention I've to write ##t_F##.

For the energy density then you get
$$\varepsilon=\frac{4 \pi g}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{m^4}{4} \int_0^{t_F} \cosh^2(t/4) \sinh^2(t/4).$$
Now
$$\cosh(t/4) \sinh(t/4)=\frac{1}{4} [\exp(t/2)-\exp(-t/2)]$$
and thus
$$[\cosh(t/4) \sinh(t/4)]^2=\frac{1}{16} [\exp(t)+\exp(-t)-2],$$
and the integral gets
$$\varepsilon=\frac{4 \pi g}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{m^4}{32} [\sinh(t_F)-t_F]=\frac{\pi g m}{8 \lambda_c^3}[\sinh(t_F)-t_F].$$
Finally the pressure is
$$P=T^{33}=\frac{2 \pi g}{(2 \pi)^3} \int_0^{p_F} \mathrm{d}p \int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta p^2 \sin \vartheta \frac{p^2 \cos^2 \vartheta}{E}.$$
The ##\vartheta## integral is
$$\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \sin \vartheta \cos^2 \vartheta=-\frac{1}{3} \cos^3 \vartheta|_0^{\pi} = \frac{2}{3}.$$
So we have
$$P=\frac{4 \pi g}{3 (2 \pi)^3} \int_0^{p_F} \mathrm{d} p \frac{p^4}{\sqrt{p^2+m^2}} = \frac{4 \pi g}{3 (2 \pi)^3} \int_0^{t_F} \frac{m^4}{4} \mathrm{d} t \sinh^4(t/4) =\frac{\pi g}{24 \lambda^3} m [3 t_F-8 \sinh(t_F/2) + \sinh(t_F)],$$
which also agrees with the textbook. For the integration I used Mathematica, but of course in principle you can evaluate all these integrals by writing the hyperbolic functions in terms of exponential functions ;-)).

1. What is an equation of state in modern classical physics?

An equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the physical properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. In modern classical physics, these equations are used to model the behavior of matter under different conditions, such as extreme temperatures or high pressures.

2. How are equations of state used in modern classical physics?

Equations of state are used in modern classical physics to predict the behavior of matter in various physical systems, such as stars, planets, and gases. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as high-pressure materials and energy storage systems.

3. What are some examples of equations of state in modern classical physics?

Some common examples of equations of state in modern classical physics include the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas, and the Van der Waals equation, which accounts for the interactions between gas molecules. Other examples include equations for fluids, solids, and plasmas.

4. Who are Thorne and Blandford and what is their contribution to equations of state in modern classical physics?

Kip Thorne and Roger Blandford are both renowned physicists who have made significant contributions to the field of equations of state in modern classical physics. Their work has helped to advance our understanding of the behavior of matter under extreme conditions, such as in black holes and neutron stars.

5. What are the implications of equations of state in modern classical physics for our understanding of the universe?

Equations of state play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, as they allow us to model and predict the behavior of matter in a wide range of physical systems. They have also been instrumental in the development of theories and technologies that have greatly expanded our knowledge of the universe, such as general relativity and nuclear fusion.