Equations with dependent variable missing

• Thread starter Joseph1739
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the equation can be written as 2t^2v'-2tv=-v^3 and can be solved for v- 3 if and only if v- 3 is a solution of the equation.
Joseph1739
Information from the book:
Use
1. v = y'
2. v' = y''
3. dy/dt = v
to solve the differential equation.

Question: 2t2y'' + (y')3 = 2ty'
I'm stuck at finding the integrating factor (which my book tells me is v-3 in the solutions.)

Using the information above:
2t2v' + (v^3) - 2tv = 0
M(t,v) = v3 - 2tv
N(t,v) = 2t2
Mv = 3v2 - 2t
Nt = 4t
Since these two are not equal, I have to find an integrating factor, but using both:
(1) dμ/dt = [(Mv-Nt)/(N)] * μ
(2) dμ/dv = [(Nt-Mv)/(M)] * μ
both result in a unsolvable equation because I end up with both t's and v's in the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with this M, N, notation, so I cannot follow your method.
I would start by considering it dimensionally. If v is dimensionally some power n of t, what value of n makes the equation dimensionally consistent? That should suggest a change of variable that simplifies it a bit.
See how you go from there.

The equation ##2t^2v'-2tv=-v^3## can be written as ##v'-\frac{v}{t}=-\frac{v^3}{2t^2}## , that is a Bernoulli equation of type:

## y'(x) + f(x)y=g(x)y^{n} ##

here ##n=3, x=t, y=v, f=-\frac{1}{t}, g=-\frac{1}{2t^2}##. To solve it see the link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli_differential_equation

The equation [itex]2t^2v'= 2tv- v^3[/itex] can e written [itex]2t^2 dv= (2tv- v^3)dt[/itex] and then [itex]2t^2dv+ (v^3- 2tv)dt[/itex]. Many textbooks write the "generic" first order differential equation [itex]M(x,y)dy+ N(x,y) dx= 0[/itex] or, with variables v and t rather than y and x, [itex]M(v,t)dv+ N(v,t)dt[/itex].
Further, such an equation is "exact" (and so particularly easy to solve) if and only if [itex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial N}{\partial y}[/itex] or, in terms of v and t, [itex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial N}{\partial v}[/itex]. That is where Joseph1739 got "[itex]M= 2t^2[/itex]" and "[itex]N= 2tv- v^3[/itex]. Of course, as he pointed out, [itex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial t}= 4t\ne 2t- 3v^2= \frac{\partial N}{\partial v}[/itex] so this is not an exact equation.

Related to Equations with dependent variable missing

What is an equation with a dependent variable missing?

An equation with a dependent variable missing is an algebraic expression or equation that does not contain a variable that depends on other variables for its value. This means that the variable in question is not explicitly stated in the equation, but it is implied by the other variables present.

Why is it important to identify the dependent variable in an equation?

Identifying the dependent variable in an equation is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the variables and how they affect each other. It also allows us to solve for the unknown variable and make predictions about the behavior of the system.

How do you solve equations with a dependent variable missing?

To solve equations with a dependent variable missing, you need to rearrange the equation to isolate the dependent variable on one side. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Once the dependent variable is isolated, you can then solve for its value.

What are some real-life applications of equations with a dependent variable missing?

Equations with a dependent variable missing are commonly used in physics, chemistry, and economics to model various systems and make predictions. For example, in physics, equations such as Newton's second law and Ohm's law involve a dependent variable that is missing from the equation.

Can an equation with a dependent variable missing have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation with a dependent variable missing can have more than one solution. This is because the dependent variable is not explicitly stated in the equation, so there may be multiple values that satisfy the equation. This is especially common in systems with multiple variables and complex relationships between them.