Equations with rational degrees

In summary, the equation can be solved by substituting a constant for each of the rational powers in the equation.
mathmaniac1
Is there a way to make these a polynomial?
1)\(\displaystyle \sqrt{A}+\sqrt{B}+\sqrt{C}=D\)
2)A1/3 + B1/3 = C
Or how else can it be solved?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
One can always appropriately arrange, then raise both sides to an exponent that changes exponents to integral values. This may have to be repeated to complete the process. If course, then solutions must be checked, since extraneous solutions may be introduced.

Edit

1)\(\displaystyle \sqrt{A}+\sqrt{B}+\sqrt{C}+\sqrt{D}=E\)

Please show how to solve modified 1) and 2),i.e, make them polynomial

I'll demonstrate the process for 2), and this will give you an idea how to do 1).

2.) \(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{A}+\sqrt[3]{B}=C\)

Cube both sides to get:

\(\displaystyle A+3\sqrt[3]{A^2B}+3\sqrt[3]{AB^2}+B=C^3\)

\(\displaystyle 3\sqrt[3]{AB}\left(\sqrt[3]{A}+\sqrt[3]{B} \right)=C^3-(A+B)\)

The original equation allows us to simplify as:

\(\displaystyle 3C\sqrt[3]{AB}=C^3-(A+B)\)

Cube again:

\(\displaystyle 27ABC^3=C^9-3C^6(A+B)+3C^3(A+B)^2+(A+B)^3\)

Nice
Please give an answer for 1) too
I tried and failed

General Question:Can this be done for any eq with rational powers?

mathmaniac said:
Nice
Please give an answer for 1) too
I tried and failed

General Question:Can this be done for any eq with rational powers?
It should be obvious that the answer is yes.

As for your previous question please show what you tried.

Squaring,we get
\(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{AB}+2\sqrt{AC}+2\sqrt{AD}+2\sqrt{BC}+2\sqrt{BD}+2\sqrt{CD}...\)

I can take common \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{A}\)and sub for \(\displaystyle \sqrt{B}+\sqrt{C}+\sqrt{D}\)

Whatever I tried to do then didn't help...

Whoever's going to reply only needs to show how to reduce the number of rooted terms,make it less than 4...
I think there's some trick or maybe just my problem.

Please help

mathmaniac said:
Squaring,we get
\(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{AB}+2\sqrt{AC}+2\sqrt{AD}+2\sqrt{BC}+2\sqrt{BD}+2\sqrt{CD}...\)

I can take common \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{A}\)and sub for \(\displaystyle \sqrt{B}+\sqrt{C}+\sqrt{D}\)

Whatever I tried to do then didn't help...

Whoever's going to reply only needs to show how to reduce the number of rooted terms,make it less than 4...
I think there's some trick or maybe just my problem.

Please help
Take one term across to the other side before squaring: $\sqrt A + \sqrt B = D - \sqrt C$.

Opalg said:
Take one term across to the other side before squaring: $\sqrt A + \sqrt B = D - \sqrt C$.
I meant the modified 1
See my edit.

mathmaniac said:
I meant the modified 1
See my edit.
[I should have read the whole thread – I didn't see the modification.]

Try an inductive method. Start with the equation $\sqrt{A}+\sqrt{B}+\sqrt{C}=F$. That only has three roots, so you (presumably) know how to remove them to get a polynomial equation in powers of $A$, $B$, $C$ and $F$. Now substitute $F = E - \sqrt D$ into that equation. You will then have an equation in which the only radical is $\sqrt D$. So collect all the terms with $\sqrt D$ onto one side of that equation and square again.

mathmaniac said:
Is there a way to make these a polynomial?
1)\(\displaystyle \sqrt{A}+\sqrt{B}+\sqrt{C}=D\)
2)A1/3 + B1/3 = C
Or how else can it be solved?

Alternatively, substitute $A=x^6, B=y^6, C=z^6$ with $x,y,z \ge 0$.
Then you get:
1) \(\displaystyle x^3+y^3+z^3=D\)
2) \(\displaystyle x^2+ y^2= z^6\)

I like Serena said:
Alternatively, substitute $A=x^6, B=y^6, C=z^6$ with $x,y,z \ge 0$.
Then you get:
1) \(\displaystyle x^3+y^3+z^3=D\)
2) \(\displaystyle x^2+ y^2= z^6\)

No,I was thinking about A,B,C...representing polynomial functions on a variable (say x) but RHS a constant.There you can't do these kind of techniques when your purpose is to solve for x.

But nice (funny?) answer,for my less informative post.

Opalg said:
[I should have read the whole thread – I didn't see the modification.]

Try an inductive method. Start with the equation $\sqrt{A}+\sqrt{B}+\sqrt{C}=F$. That only has three roots, so you (presumably) know how to remove them to get a polynomial equation in powers of $A$, $B$, $C$ and $F$. Now substitute $F = E - \sqrt D$ into that equation. You will then have an equation in which the only radical is $\sqrt D$. So collect all the terms with $\sqrt D$ onto one side of that equation and square again.

Very very nice trick,impressive!

using this,i can make any eq with only degree as 1/2 a polynomial no matter,how many terms there are...

I'll be soon bringing another question about rational degrees(maybe) and I think the general question can also be solved by induction.Right?
Let me see.

Last edited:

Related to Equations with rational degrees

1. What is an equation with rational degrees?

An equation with rational degrees is an equation in which the variable is raised to a fractional power, such as x1/2 or x3/4. This means that the variable is being raised to a power that is a fraction, rather than a whole number.

2. How do you solve equations with rational degrees?

To solve an equation with rational degrees, you must first isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, you must raise both sides of the equation to the reciprocal of the rational power. For example, if the variable is raised to the power of 1/2, you would square both sides of the equation. Repeat this process until the variable is no longer raised to a fractional power, and then solve for the variable as you would in a regular equation.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving equations with rational degrees?

Some common mistakes when solving equations with rational degrees include forgetting to raise both sides of the equation to the reciprocal power, forgetting to simplify the equation after raising both sides, and incorrectly applying the rules of exponents.

4. Can equations with rational degrees have more than one solution?

Yes, equations with rational degrees can have more than one solution. This is because raising a number to a fractional power can result in both a positive and negative solution.

5. How are equations with rational degrees used in real life?

Equations with rational degrees are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to model natural phenomena, such as the rate of radioactive decay or the growth of bacteria, and to solve complex equations that cannot be solved with whole number exponents.