Equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle

In summary, the conversation discusses an equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle and the desire to prove that MT = TW. Different methods of proof are suggested, including using angles and coordinate geometry. Ultimately, it is determined that MT = TW = r/2, where r is the radius of the circle.
Yankel
Dear all,

In the attached picture there is an equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle.

MW is a radius of the circle, and I wish to prove that MT = TW, i.e., that the triangle cuts the radius into equal parts. I thought perhaps to draw lines AM and AW and to try and prove that I get two identical triangles, but failed to do so.

Can you kindly assist ?

Thank you !

View attachment 7682

Attachments

• triangle circle.PNG
    triangle circle.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 81
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's how I would do it. Call the radius of the circle "r". The three angles, AMB, AMC, and BMC are each 360/3= 120 degrees. The angle AMT is half that, 60 degrees. The right triangle AMT has hypotenuse of length r, angle at M 60 degrees so the length of MT is r cos(60)= r/2.

Is it given that $\overline{MW}$ is perpendicular to $\overline{AB}$?

Greg, yes it is !

By the inscribed angle theorem $\angle{WAB}=\angle{WCB}=30^\circ$. It shouldn't be too difficult to finish up from there. :)

I would use coordinate geometry. Begin by orienting the circle such that its center is at the origin, and WLOG, give it a radius of 1 unit:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=1\)

Now, the inscribed triangle has $\overline{AB}$ in quadrants I and IV as a vertical line. The line segment $\overline{MB}$ lines along:

\(\displaystyle y=\tan\left(60^{\circ}\right)x=\sqrt{3}x\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle x^2+\left(\sqrt{3}x\right)^2=1\)

\(\displaystyle x^2=\frac{1}{4}\)

As $x$ must be positive, there results:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{2}\)

And so we conclude:

\(\displaystyle \overline{MT}=\overline{TW}\)

What is an equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle?

An equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle is a triangle where all three sides are equal in length and the vertices of the triangle lie on the circumference of a circle.

What is the relationship between the sides of an equilateral triangle and the radius of the circumscribed circle?

The radius of the circumscribed circle is equal to the length of any side of the equilateral triangle. This means that the radius is also equal to the distance from the center of the circle to any vertex of the triangle.

How can you find the area of an equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle?

The area of an equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle can be calculated using the formula A = (√3/4) * r^2, where r is the radius of the circumscribed circle.

What is the measure of the angles in an equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle?

The angles in an equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle are all 60 degrees. This is because in an equilateral triangle, all angles are equal and the sum of all angles in a triangle is 180 degrees.

What is the significance of an equilateral triangle within a circumscribed circle in mathematics?

Equilateral triangles within a circumscribed circle have many important properties in mathematics, such as being used in constructions and proofs, and their relationship to other geometric shapes and concepts. They also have applications in fields such as engineering and architecture.