Prove Area of Equilateral Triangle

In summary: Thanks for pointing that out!In summary, the area of an equilateral triangle of side s can be solved by drawing an altitude and using the Pythagorean theorem. The altitude bisects the base and is perpendicular to it, making the base of the right triangle s. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the length of the altitude can be found to be (sqrt{3}s)/2, and using the formula for the area of a triangle, the area of the equilateral triangle is (sqrt{3}s^2)/4.
mathdad
In chapter 6, section 6.1 of David Cohen's Precalculus textbook Third Edition, page 368, I found an interesting geometry problem.

Show that the area of an equilateral triangle of side s is given as shown in the picture.

The hint given is this:

Draw an altitude and use the Pythagorean theorem.

I drew an equilateral triangle and labelled each side s. I then drew an altitude from B to AC.

I don't know, however, where the sqrt{3} and 4 come from as shown in the picture. This is where I'm stuck. Can someone take me to the next step without completing the prove?

View attachment 7898

Attachments

• sDraw_2018-03-03_03-09-14.png
    sDraw_2018-03-03_03-09-14.png
    14 KB · Views: 71
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the right triangle you've labeled with the right angle, what is the length of the shorter leg?

MarkFL said:
In the right triangle you've labeled with the right angle, what is the length of the shorter leg?

You are talking about a 30°- 60° - 90° triangle with a short distance opposite 30 degrees, and it just so happens to be 1.

No, not the way you've shown this. You have an equilateral triangle with each side of length "S". The altitude of an equilateral triangle is (1) perpendicular to the opposite side, (2) bisects the angle, and (3) bisects the opposite side. So if each side of the equilateral triangle has length "S" and the altitude bisects a side, what is the length of the short side of the triangle? Then use the Pythagorean theorem to determine the length of the altitude.

The length of the shortest side is s/2.

- - - Updated - - -

Let A = altitude

A^2 + (s/2)^2 = s^2

Is this the correct set up?

When I solve A^2 + (s/2)^2 = s^2 for A, I get [s•sqrt{3}]/2. This is not right.

$$\triangle{ABC}=\frac{s}{2}\cdot s\sin60^\circ=\frac{s}{2}\cdot\frac{s\sqrt3}{2}=\frac{\sqrt3s^2}{4}$$

Using the Pythagorean theorem and $\triangle{ABC}=\frac{b\cdot h}{2}$, where $b$ is the length of the base of the triangle and $h$ is the height,

$$\triangle{ABC}=\sqrt{s^2-\frac{s^2}{4}}\cdot\frac s2=\sqrt{\frac{3s^2}{4}}\cdot\frac s2=\frac{\sqrt3s}{2}\cdot\frac s2=\frac{\sqrt3s^2}{4}$$

greg1313 said:
$$\triangle{ABC}=\frac{s}{2}\cdot s\sin60^\circ=\frac{s}{2}\cdot\frac{s\sqrt3}{2}=\frac{\sqrt3s^2}{4}$$

Using the Pythagorean theorem and $\triangle{ABC}=\frac{b\cdot h}{2}$, where $b$ is the length of the base of the triangle and $h$ is the height,

$$\triangle{ABC}=\sqrt{s^2-\frac{s^2}{4}}\cdot\frac s2=\sqrt{\frac{3s^2}{4}}\cdot\frac s2=\frac{\sqrt3s}{2}\cdot\frac s2=\frac{\sqrt3s^2}{4}$$

You guys are truly amazing mathematicians. I thought the shortest side is s/2. I was wrong. Solving A^2 + (s/2)^2 = s^2 for A is wrong. I wonder what I did wrong in my computation.

When you divide the equilateral triangle into two right triangles to use the Pythagorean theorem to get the height, the base of each right triangle is s/2. But the base of the original equilateral triangle is twice that- s.

Country Boy said:
When you divide the equilateral triangle into two right triangles to use the Pythagorean theorem to get the height, the base of each right triangle is s/2. But the base of the original equilateral triangle is twice that- s.

Yes, I forgot. The base of the original triangle is (s/2) + (s/2) = s.

1. How do you prove the area of an equilateral triangle?

The area of an equilateral triangle can be proven using the formula A = √3/4 * s^2, where A is the area and s is the length of one side of the triangle. This formula can be derived by dividing the triangle into two congruent right triangles and using the Pythagorean theorem.

2. Why is the formula for the area of an equilateral triangle √3/4 * s^2?

The √3/4 * s^2 formula for the area of an equilateral triangle is derived using the altitude of the triangle. The altitude divides the equilateral triangle into two congruent 30-60-90 right triangles, where the hypotenuse is s and the shorter leg is s/2. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the longer leg to be √3/2 * s. Multiply the two legs and divide by 2 to find the area of one of the right triangles, and then multiply by 2 to find the area of the whole equilateral triangle.

3. Can the area of an equilateral triangle be found using trigonometry?

Yes, the area of an equilateral triangle can also be found using trigonometry. By drawing a perpendicular line from one vertex to the opposite side, we can create two right triangles. The length of the altitude can then be found using trigonometric ratios, and the area can be calculated as 1/2 * base * height.

4. What is the relationship between the area and perimeter of an equilateral triangle?

The area and perimeter of an equilateral triangle are directly proportional. This means that as the length of the sides increase, both the area and perimeter will also increase. The ratio between the area and perimeter of an equilateral triangle is √3/4 * s.

5. Can the area of an equilateral triangle be found if only the perimeter is given?

Yes, the area of an equilateral triangle can be found if only the perimeter is given. Using the perimeter formula P = 3s, we can rearrange to find the length of one side, s = P/3. This value can then be plugged into the area formula A = √3/4 * s^2 to find the area of the equilateral triangle.