Equilibrium Force on Floating Object

In summary: The angle between the force and the lever arm. This is easy, you just use the Pythagorean Theorem. In summary, the student tried to solve for equilibrium using Newton's Third Law and the Principle of Virtual Work, but got lost. They then redrew the equilibrium situation at a single location without any bearing to the drawing and found that the angle between the force and the lever arm was the equation needed.
Louns

Homework Statement

This problem is found in The Exercises for the Feynman Lectures on Physics:
A flat steel plate floating on mercury is acted upon by three forces at three corners of a square of side 0.100 m. Find a single fourth force which will hold the plate in equilibrium. Give the magnitude, direction, and point of application along the line AB.
upload_2017-4-10_5-13-18.png

Homework Equations

Trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did to find the force vector was to imagine the forces at a centralized location then add them together. Breaking FO down into its components, I found the following:

Fx=50N-35.6N=14.4N
Fy=50N-35.6N=14.4N

Meaning there is a net force of 20.1N at 45° from the X axis. To counteract this, the fourth force must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. So F4=20.1N at 225°.

However, I have no idea how to figure out the point of application. I think this is related to the translation of the forces but I also had the idea of finding the moments about the center of the square due to the forces at P and Q. This yielded nothing fruitful, unfortunately. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Louns said:
had the idea of finding the moments about the center of the square due to the forces at P and Q. This yielded nothing fruitful
How so ?

Louns said:

Homework Equations

Trig.
More than just "Trig" is relevant when you have static equilibrium situations. What are the appropriate equations?
Louns said:
... at a centralized location then add them together.
How exactly did you pick this centralized location?

BvU said:
How so ?
Well, I found the torque of these two forces:

τP=rxF or τ=r*Fsinθ, where r=0.71, F=50N, and θ=135°
τP=25.1Nm so τtotal=50.2Nm clockwise

However, this is where I get lost. Isn't the angle of F4 and the lever arm 0? And if it isn't, the equation has two variables, the distance and the angle. Is this the correct approach with botched analysis or is there another way that I haven't thought of?

kuruman said:
What are the appropriate equations?
I guess I'm not entirely sure of the relevant equations in this case. Perhaps the torque equation? Could the Principle of Virtual Work come into play?
kuruman said:
How exactly did you pick this centralized location?
Again, I wasn't sure if it mattered so I redrew them all at a single location without any bearing to the drawing. After working on the application point for a while, I thought maybe there is some way to properly translate forces, but I was unable to find any reading material on the subject. If there is, then I would only move the force at P to Q, and work from there.

The relevant equations are
1. Sum of all the forces = zero. You already implemented that.
2. Sum of all the torques = zero. To implement this, remember that it matters where a force are applied; you just can't pick any place. So put F4 at x on line AB, then find x.

1. What is equilibrium force on a floating object?

The equilibrium force on a floating object is the sum of all the forces acting on the object that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. This allows the object to remain in a stable position without sinking or rising.

2. What factors affect the equilibrium force on a floating object?

The equilibrium force on a floating object is affected by several factors, including the density of the object, the density of the fluid it is floating in, and the shape and size of the object. These factors determine the amount of force needed to balance the weight of the object and keep it afloat.

3. How is the equilibrium force on a floating object calculated?

The equilibrium force on a floating object can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged in the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the equilibrium force on a floating object change with depth?

The equilibrium force on a floating object changes with depth due to the change in pressure. As the depth increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid also increases, resulting in a larger buoyant force. This means that the equilibrium force on a floating object will also increase as it goes deeper into the fluid.

5. Can the equilibrium force on a floating object ever be greater than the weight of the object?

No, according to Archimedes' principle, the buoyant force acting on an object can never be greater than the weight of the fluid it displaces. Therefore, the equilibrium force on a floating object can never be greater than its weight. If the equilibrium force is greater than the weight, the object will sink.