Equilibrium Problem - Balancing Torques

In summary, the door weighs 330 N and each hinge supports half the weight of the door. The distance between the hinges is √2 and the vertical forces are collinear with the line of action of the forces, so the lever arm length for the vertical forces is zero.
HoodedFreak

Homework Statement

[/B]
A door 1.00 m wide and 2.00 m high weighs 330 N
and is supported by two hinges, one 0.50 m from the top and the
other 0.50 m from the bottom. Each hinge supports half the total
weight of the door. Assuming that the door’s center of gravity is at
its center, find the horizontal components of force exerted on the
door by each hinge.

Homework Equations

[/B]
T = F*l

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This problem is really giving me a hard time, because I know that both the horizontal and vertical components of the force of the hinge are exerting torques

So, I start off with

H1cos(a) + H2cos(b) = 0

H2sin(a) + H2sin(b) - mg = 0

For balancing the torque I choose the top left hinge as a pivot point

Then the torque due to gravity would be mg*l which is just 0.5mg, now I am not quite sure how to find the lever arm for the hinge force. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
HoodedFreak said:
now I am not quite sure how to find the lever arm for the hinge force. Any suggestions?
Have you drawn a diagram?
What is the distance between the hinges?
(You don't need any trig functions to answer the question).

HoodedFreak said:
I know that both the horizontal and vertical components of the force of the hinge are exerting torques
That depends on where the axis is you take moments about. You've chosen to use one of the hinges as the axis, this means the vertical forces at the hinges are irrelevant.

billy_joule said:
Have you drawn a diagram?
What is the distance between the hinges?
(You don't need any trig functions to answer the question).

The distance between the hinges is √2. I've drawn a diagramThat depends on where the axis is you take moments about. You've chosen to use one of the hinges as the axis, this means the vertical forces at the hinges are irrelevant.

Why is it the case that the vertical forces at the hinges are irrelevant. I can see why this is the case for the hinge that you choose as your pivot point, but wouldn't the vertical force at the other hinge still exert a torque since it may have a component that is perpendicular to the distance between the two hinges.

Look at the door in the room you're in; both hinges lie on the same vertical line, correct? And the vertical forces are, of course, collinear with that line, correct?
So if we take moments about any point on that vertical line (including at either hinge) the lever arm length for the vertical forces is zero, as their line of action passes through that point.
If that's not clear, draw a diagram and we can see where you're going wrong.

Likes CWatters
billy_joule said:
Look at the door in the room you're in; both hinges lie on the same vertical line, correct? And the vertical forces are, of course, collinear with that line, correct?
So if we take moments about any point on that vertical line (including at either hinge) the lever arm length for the vertical forces is zero, as their line of action passes through that point.
If that's not clear, draw a diagram and we can see where you're going wrong.

Right, ofcourse, that makes sense. For some weird reason I thought the hinges were on either side of the door

So, now I just have the horizontal force of the bottom hinge, H2cos(b) * 1 = 0.5mg, and plugging that into the first equation gives us H1cos(a) = -0.5mg

Thank you for your help

What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration.

What is the equilibrium problem - balancing torques?

The equilibrium problem - balancing torques refers to the situation in which an object is in rotational equilibrium, meaning that the sum of all torques acting on the object is equal to zero.

How do you determine if an object is in equilibrium?

To determine if an object is in equilibrium, you must first identify all forces acting on the object, including both external forces and internal forces. Then, you must calculate the net force and net torque acting on the object. If the net force is zero and the net torque is also zero, then the object is in equilibrium.

What are the conditions for rotational equilibrium?

The conditions for rotational equilibrium are that the sum of all torques acting on the object must be equal to zero and the object must have a constant angular velocity. This means that the object will not rotate or change its rotational speed.

What are some examples of balancing torques in everyday life?

Some examples of balancing torques in everyday life include a see-saw, a balance scale, a wheelbarrow, and a door on its hinge. In each of these examples, the object is in rotational equilibrium because the torques acting on it are balanced.