Calorimetry - finding the final temperature of a system of ice and water

In summary: You should have J*K*L on the right.In summary, the water that cools down has a change in temperature of -21.3 kg*4.186 J*(x-346.95 K). This equation shows that the water has a mass of 7.1 kg*334000 J/kg and a temperature of 7.1 kg*4.186 J*(x-273.15 K).
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Q=mL

Q=mc(change T)
So all of the ice melts and I am guessing it then warms some so

Q=mL+mc(change in T)

for the water that cools down

Q=mc(change in T)

Q_cold = -Q_hot so -mc(Tf - Ti) = mL+mc(Tf - Ti)

My issue is that I have 2 unknowns. I don't know the specific heat capacity of water and I don't know the final temperature. I am not sure how I can find another equation to find the specific heat capacity of water either.

Even when I look up the specific heat capacity of water I am left with the wrong answer. specific heat capacity of water from internet is 4.186 J. When I use this I get -19346, which is obviously wrong. So I don't know if I am doing the equations wrong or if I need to find the specific heat capacity somehow.

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 86
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: Q=mL

Q=mc(change T)

specific heat capacity of water from internet is 4.186 J.
What units do you need it into match the other given numbers?

Please tell me you didn’t use the same value for Ti for water and ice.

Chestermiller said:
Please tell me you didn’t use the same value for Ti for water and ice.
I'm pretty sure it's a units conversion issue.

Likes JoeyBob
haruspex said:
What units do you need it into match the other given numbers?
What I was doing was converting Celsius to kelvin then converting it back into Celsius after I was done. Heres the link to the calculator I was using to check my algebra with the numbers plugged in. Probably easier to read but ill also type it out here.

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/algebra-calculator/-21.3\cdot4.186\left(x-346.95\right)=7.1\cdot334000+7.1\cdot4.186\cdot\left(x-273.15\right)

-21.3 kg * 4.186 J * (x-346.95 K) = 7.1 kg * 334000 J/kg + 7.1 kg * 4.186 J * (x-273.15)

The part on the left is of the relatively hot liquid water (mc(Tf-Ti)) where the part on the right is of the ice where it melts (mL+mc(Tf-Ti)).

As you can see I use their different masses and different initial temperatures for each.

JoeyBob said:
What I was doing was converting Celsius to kelvin then converting it back into Celsius after I was done. Heres the link to the calculator I was using to check my algebra with the numbers plugged in. Probably easier to read but ill also type it out here.

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/algebra-calculator/-21.3\cdot4.186\left(x-346.95\right)=7.1\cdot334000+7.1\cdot4.186\cdot\left(x-273.15\right)

-21.3 kg * 4.186 J * (x-346.95 K) = 7.1 kg * 334000 J/kg + 7.1 kg * 4.186 J * (x-273.15)

The part on the left is of the relatively hot liquid water (mc(Tf-Ti)) where the part on the right is of the ice where it melts (mL+mc(Tf-Ti)).

As you can see I use their different masses and different initial temperatures for each.
That 4.18 is per gram, not per kilogram.

Chestermiller said:
That 4.18 is per gram, not per kilogram.
Yeah I think that explains it. When I look up specific heat capacity of water 4.186 joules is in bold. You have to read below to see 4.186 J/g. Idk why the correct units arent displayed initially.

JoeyBob said:
Take a good look at all those units.
On the left you have kg*J*K.
First term on the right is kg*J/kg = J (so that one is right).
Second term on the right you show as kg*J.

Likes JoeyBob

1. What is calorimetry?

Calorimetry is the scientific process of measuring the amount of heat energy exchanged between two substances. It involves using a calorimeter, a device that measures changes in temperature, to determine the heat transfer that occurs during a chemical reaction or physical change.

2. How does calorimetry help in finding the final temperature of a system of ice and water?

In the case of ice and water, calorimetry can help determine the final temperature of the system by measuring the heat transfer that occurs when the ice melts and the water reaches a thermal equilibrium. This heat transfer, known as the heat of fusion, can be used to calculate the final temperature of the system.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calorimetry measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calorimetry measurements, including the type of calorimeter used, the surrounding environment, and any heat loss or gain from the system during the experiment. It is important to control these factors and ensure that the system is well-insulated to obtain accurate results.

4. How can the specific heat capacity of a substance be determined using calorimetry?

The specific heat capacity of a substance can be determined using calorimetry by measuring the heat transfer between two substances with known specific heat capacities. By using the equation Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the heat transfer, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature, the specific heat capacity of the unknown substance can be calculated.

5. Can calorimetry be used to measure the energy content of food?

Yes, calorimetry can be used to measure the energy content of food. This is known as bomb calorimetry, where a sample of food is burned in a sealed container and the heat released is measured. This heat can then be used to calculate the energy content of the food in terms of calories or joules.