Equipartition theorem and chlorine

• Thread starter PeterPoPS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equipartition theorem to calculate the average centripetal force of a chlorine molecule rotating at a given temperature. The correct answer is 1.6*10^-10 N and the attempt at solving the problem is shown, with the realization that the correct value for Eavg should be 5/2 KbT for diatomic molecules.
PeterPoPS
[SOLVED] Equipartition theorem

Homework Statement

If the chlorine molecule at 290 K were to rotate at the angular frequency predicted by the equipartition theorem what would be the average centripetal force?
(The atmos of Cl are 2*10^-10 m apart and the mass of the chlorine atom 35.45 a.m.u)

(Correct answer is 1.6*10^-10 N)

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy
[tex] E_{kin} = \frac{mv^2}{2} [/tex]

Centripetal force
[tex] F_c = \frac{mv^2}{r} [/tex]

Boltzmann's constant
[tex] k_B = 1.3807*10^{-23} JK^{-1} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi!

I tried to solve it this way.
I think of my Chlorine molecule as two points. One stationary and the other one circulating around it.
From the equipartition theorem i get that the average energy of the molecule is

[tex] E = \frac{7k_BT}{2} [/tex]

I think that this is equal to the kinetic energy

[tex] E = \frac{7k_BT}{2} = \frac{mv^2}{2} [/tex]

so

[tex] mv^2 = 7k_BT [/tex]

Using this in the equation for the centriopetal force I get

[tex] F_c = \frac{7k_BT}{r} = 1.4014^{-10}N [/tex]

which is not the right answer and I havn't used the mass at all in the problem.
What's wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
For diatomic molecules, Eavg = 5/2 KbT.

The equipartition theorem states that in thermal equilibrium, each degree of freedom of a system has an average energy of k_B*T/2, where k_B is Boltzmann's constant and T is the temperature. In the case of a rotating molecule, there are three degrees of freedom - two for translation and one for rotation. Therefore, the average energy of the molecule is 3*k_B*T/2.

To calculate the average centripetal force, we need to consider the kinetic energy of the rotating molecule. This can be calculated using the formula E_kin = 1/2*I*ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular frequency. In this case, the moment of inertia for a diatomic molecule is given by I = m*r^2, where m is the mass of the molecule and r is the distance between the atoms.

Substituting these values into the equation, we get E_kin = 1/2*m*r^2*ω^2. Equating this to the average energy from the equipartition theorem, we get 3*k_B*T/2 = 1/2*m*r^2*ω^2. Solving for ω, we get ω = √(3*k_B*T/m*r^2).

Finally, we can calculate the average centripetal force using the formula F_c = m*ω^2*r. Substituting the value of ω we just calculated, we get F_c = m*3*k_B*T/m*r^2*r = 3*k_B*T/r. Plugging in the values given in the problem (m = 35.45 a.m.u, r = 2*10^-10 m, T = 290 K), we get F_c = 1.6*10^-10 N, which is the correct answer.

It is important to note that the equipartition theorem only gives us the average energy of a system and does not take into account the specific details of the system, such as the mass of the particles. This is why we need to use additional equations and consider the specific system to calculate the average centripetal force accurately.

1. What is the Equipartition theorem?

The Equipartition theorem is a principle in statistical mechanics that states that in thermal equilibrium, the energy of a system is equally distributed among all degrees of freedom. In other words, the average energy of each degree of freedom is equal to kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature.

2. How does the Equipartition theorem apply to chlorine?

In the case of chlorine, the Equipartition theorem states that at thermal equilibrium, the average energy of each degree of freedom of a chlorine molecule is kT/2. This means that in a sample of chlorine gas, the kinetic energy of motion and the potential energy of rotation and vibration are all equally distributed among the molecules.

3. What is the significance of the Equipartition theorem for studying chlorine?

The Equipartition theorem is important for understanding the behavior of chlorine gas at different temperatures. It allows us to predict the amount of energy that will be present in each degree of freedom and how it will change with temperature. This can help in studying the chemical reactions and physical properties of chlorine.

4. Are there any limitations to the Equipartition theorem?

Yes, the Equipartition theorem is only applicable to systems that are in thermal equilibrium. It also assumes that all degrees of freedom are equally important and have the same energy contribution. In reality, this may not always be the case, especially for more complex molecules like chlorine.

5. How does the Equipartition theorem relate to the specific heat capacity of chlorine?

The Equipartition theorem can be used to calculate the specific heat capacity of chlorine gas at different temperatures. By considering the contributions of each degree of freedom, we can determine how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a sample of chlorine gas by a certain amount. This is important in understanding the thermal properties of chlorine and other substances.