Equivalence Question between when-then statement and if then statement

In summary: This can cause confusion when reading and writing proofs. In summary, the student is trying to prove a problem where they must assume a proposition statement, but is confused about whether to assume "when p is true, then q is true" or "if p is true, then q is true". They also mention potential confusion due to language and translation issues.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
What is the equivalence between when then and if-then statement
Dear Everybody,

I am working on my homework. I am trying to prove a problem that was written by my professor in an odd way: Prove that when p is true, then q is true. Which proposition statement should I assume? I personally thought that I should assume the first one. But reading my introduction to proof writing it says "Q, when P for implication statement." Now, I am confused on what to assume?

Thanks,
Cbarker1

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Who wrote the book? I'm pretty sure we can assume "if" in those cases, except in case the statement is time-dependent.

I forgot to add that my professor wrote the problem.

I was asking because it might be a language issue. "If" in German is "wenn" so it could be a translation problem. Another, possibly more likely reason could be that "when" is commonly used in the same sense as "if", disregarding the timely connotation of "when". When it happens it does not necessarily require a time scale. It simply means if it happens.

Likes cbarker1
cbarker1 said:
TL;DR Summary: What is the equivalence between when then and if-then statement

Dear Everybody,

I am working on my homework. I am trying to prove a problem that was written by my professor in an odd way: Prove that when p is true, then q is true. Which proposition statement should I assume?
I can't see that "when p is true, then q is true" could possibly mean "if q, then p". Words and phrases like "assuming", "whenever", "when", "in the event that", "under the assumption that" etc. are sometimes used instead of the more formal "if".

1. What is the difference between a "when-then" statement and an "if-then" statement?

A "when-then" statement is used to describe a cause-and-effect relationship, where the "when" part is the condition that triggers the "then" part. On the other hand, an "if-then" statement is used to describe a conditional relationship, where the "if" part is the condition that must be met for the "then" part to occur.

2. Can a "when-then" statement be used interchangeably with an "if-then" statement?

No, a "when-then" statement and an "if-then" statement have different meanings and cannot be used interchangeably. They are used in different contexts and convey different types of relationships.

3. Are "when-then" statements and "if-then" statements used in the same way in logic and programming?

Yes, both "when-then" statements and "if-then" statements are used in logic and programming to represent conditional relationships. However, the syntax and usage may differ depending on the programming language or logic system.

4. How do you convert a "when-then" statement to an "if-then" statement?

To convert a "when-then" statement to an "if-then" statement, you can simply replace the word "when" with "if". For example, the "when-then" statement "When it rains, then the ground gets wet" can be converted to the "if-then" statement "If it rains, then the ground gets wet".

5. In what situations would you use a "when-then" statement over an "if-then" statement?

A "when-then" statement is typically used when describing a natural or expected cause-and-effect relationship. For example, "When the temperature drops, then water freezes". An "if-then" statement, on the other hand, is used when the condition is uncertain or conditional. For instance, "If you study hard, then you will pass the exam".