Prove logical equivalence

• Thread starter cashflow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary, the conversation discusses a student who received a low score on a quiz and is trying to understand where they went wrong in their proof. The student's professor was unable to provide a clear explanation and suggested seeking help from the department head. The student then asked for assistance in proving the logical equivalence in their proof, to which the professor responded with a vague comment about lacking quality. The student is seeking further clarification and help in understanding their mistake.
cashflow
I took a quiz that I was very confident in and just got the scores back today -- I did terribly (50%). Anyway, I am trying to understand where my mistake is below. I went over this three times and I cannot figure out why it's wrong (it looks right to me).

To Prove: ~(p ∧ r) ∨ ~(q ∨ r) ≡ p ∧ r → ~r ∧ ~q

First, we know that a ≡ b is the same as b ≡ a. So, in my case, I started with b and worked to prove a.

Proof:
Starting with:
p ∧ r → ~r ∧ ~q
≡ ~(p ∧ r) ∨ (~r ∧ ~q) by the '∨' def. of '→'
≡ ~(p ∧ r) ∨ ~(r ∨ q) by De Morgan's Law
≡ ~(p ∧ r) ∨ ~(q ∨ r) by Commutative Law

I asked the professor where, and he said "It doesn't matter where. I looked at it and saw this lacked quality." I don't understand. I proved that the two sides are the logically equivalent in 3 steps. Help please? Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cashflow said:
I asked the professor where, and he said "It doesn't matter where. I looked at it and saw this lacked quality."
His reponse is very vague and unhelpful. I don't see anything wrong with your work. I would advise going to see your professor during office hours and asking him what he means by "lacking quality" and where, specifically, he considers your proof to be incorrect. I

If you don't get a good explanation from him, you could make an appointment with the department head.

cashflow said:
I took a quiz that I was very confident in and just got the scores back today -- I did terribly (50%). Anyway, I am trying to understand where my mistake is below. I went over this three times and I cannot figure out why it's wrong (it looks right to me).

To Prove: ~(p ∧ r) ∨ ~(q ∨ r) ≡ p ∧ r → ~r ∧ ~q

First, we know that a ≡ b is the same as b ≡ a. So, in my case, I started with b and worked to prove a.

Proof:
Starting with:
p ∧ r → ~r ∧ ~q
≡ ~(p ∧ r) ∨ (~r ∧ ~q) by the '∨' def. of '→'
≡ ~(p ∧ r) ∨ ~(r ∨ q) by De Morgan's Law
≡ ~(p ∧ r) ∨ ~(q ∨ r) by Commutative Law

I asked the professor where, and he said "It doesn't matter where. I looked at it and saw this lacked quality." I don't understand. I proved that the two sides are the logically equivalent in 3 steps. Help please? Thank you!
Could you perhaps prove it using a truth table?

What is logical equivalence?

Logical equivalence is a concept in logic where two statements or expressions have the same truth value in all possible scenarios. This means that if one statement is true, then the other statement must also be true, and if one statement is false, then the other statement must also be false.

How is logical equivalence proven?

Logical equivalence can be proven through various methods, such as using truth tables, logical rules and identities, or by using the method of indirect proof. It is important to carefully analyze the structure and components of each statement to determine if they are logically equivalent.

What is the difference between logical equivalence and logical implication?

Logical equivalence means that two statements or expressions have the same truth value, while logical implication means that one statement implies the other. This means that if the first statement is true, then the second statement must also be true, but the reverse may not necessarily be true.

Can logical equivalence be used in everyday life?

Yes, logical equivalence can be applied in everyday life, especially in critical thinking and problem-solving situations. It can help in analyzing and comparing different arguments or statements to determine if they have the same meaning or truth value.

Why is logical equivalence important in science?

In science, logical equivalence is important in developing and evaluating theories and hypotheses. It allows scientists to determine if multiple statements or equations are equivalent and can be used interchangeably, which can help in simplifying complex theories and making accurate predictions.