Error Analysis: Addition of Quantities with Uncertainty

• Thread starter NachoNovo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about error analysis and how to obtain a quantity given by two values with their respective uncertainties. The uncertainty of a given value must be in the last significant figure, and when calculating a new value experimentally, one should use the raw values rather than the rounded values. It is also important to understand the concept of significant figures.
NachoNovo
Hi there,

I have a pretty basic question on error analysis. say we want to obtain a quantity which is given by u+v.

if u = 8.5452545 and has uncert 0.025454. it would be quoted as 8.55(2) and if v = 3.865898 and has uncert 0.04124343.

it would be quoted as 3.87(4).

but when calculating say u+v...

do i a) use 8.55 and 3.87 and their rounded uncertainties.

or b) use the raw data?

thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The uncertainty of a given value must be in the last significant figure.
So if u is given as 8.5452545 the uncertainty is in the last figure 0f 5.
It means that u lies between 8.5452544 and u = 8.5452546.
This is what is meant by SIGNIFICANT figures.
Hope this helps

no sorry it doesn't help.

I'm not sure when calculating a new value experimentally if I use the rounded values or the raw values of the old data?

I know what sig figs mean.

where did these figures come from?
Are they from a question you have seen?
Were they given to you to test your understanding?
Are they values you have measured?

The values are made up. I am writing up a report and wasn't sure what to do.

Related to Error Analysis: Addition of Quantities with Uncertainty

What is error analysis?

Error analysis is a process used to quantify and understand the uncertainties associated with a measurement or calculation. It involves identifying and evaluating all potential sources of error and determining how they may affect the final result.

Why is error analysis important?

Error analysis is important because it allows us to determine the accuracy and reliability of our measurements and calculations. By identifying and quantifying sources of error, we can improve the precision of our results and make more informed decisions based on the data.

What is meant by "addition of quantities with uncertainty"?

Addition of quantities with uncertainty refers to a mathematical operation in which multiple values with associated uncertainties are combined. This can occur when adding multiple measurements or when performing calculations using values with uncertainties.

How is uncertainty determined in error analysis?

Uncertainty is determined by considering all potential sources of error and estimating their magnitude. This can be done through experimental trials, statistical analysis, or by using known uncertainties of measurement tools or methods. The total uncertainty is then calculated by combining these individual uncertainties through methods such as propagation of error or error budgeting.

What are some common sources of error in addition of quantities with uncertainty?

Some common sources of error that can affect addition of quantities with uncertainty include measurement errors, environmental factors, limitations of equipment, and human error. It is important to identify and account for these sources of error in order to minimize their impact on the final result.