Escape Speed from Planets with Different Radii

In summary, the escape speed from the surface of Earth is 11.2 km/s, but from another planet with the same density, but with a radius 5x that of Earth's, the escape speed would be 5.00879227 km/s.
vrobins1

Homework Statement

The escape speed from the surface of the Earth is 11.2 km/s. What would be the escape speed be from another planet of the same density (mass per unit volume) as Earth but with a radius 5 times that of Earth's?

Homework Equations

I know I have to use v=sqrt2GM/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't really sure how to go about this problem, but I did v1/v2 = 11.2/v2 = sqrt5

So I solved for v2 by doing 11.2/(sqrt5) and I got 5.00879227.
I have tried 5, 5.0, and 5.009 as answer submissions and got them all incorrect. I am not even sure if I am setting the problem up right, so any guidance or hints would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
vrobins1 said:

Homework Equations

I know I have to use v=sqrt2GM/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't really sure how to go about this problem, but I did v1/v2 = 11.2/v2 = sqrt5
Rather than guessing, use the equation you supplied. It is indeed very relevant to the problem, but you didn't use it at all.

To go about using that equation you need to know each term involved in the equation. Which terms do you know, and which don't you know? Can you solve for the ones you don't know?

vrobins1 said:
The escape speed from the surface of the Earth is 11.2 km/s. What would be the escape speed be from another planet of the same density (mass per unit volume) as Earth but with a radius 5 times that of Earth's?

Did you account for the new planet's mass? I think the volume of a sphere is (4/3)(pi)(r^3). A planet with 5x the radius is 125x as heavy. I don't actually know how to solve this problem, but this is probably important.

Yes, it is, Shawn. This however, is homework and you shouldn't have given so much info, at least at the onset.

Related to Escape Speed from Planets with Different Radii

1. What is escape speed from the Earth?

Escape speed from the Earth refers to the minimum speed that an object needs to achieve in order to break free from the gravitational pull of the Earth and enter into space.

2. How is escape speed from the Earth calculated?

The escape speed from the Earth can be calculated using the formula: v = √2GM/r, where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance from the center of the Earth to the object.

3. What is the escape speed from the Earth?

The escape speed from the Earth is approximately 11.2 kilometers per second, or 6.96 miles per second. This means that an object needs to be traveling at this speed in order to overcome the Earth's gravitational pull and escape into space.

4. Can escape speed from the Earth vary?

Yes, the escape speed from the Earth can vary depending on the altitude and location of the object. This is because the Earth's gravity is slightly weaker at higher altitudes and stronger closer to the surface. However, these variations are very small and do not significantly impact the overall escape velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of objects achieving escape speed from the Earth?

Some real-life examples of objects achieving escape speed from the Earth include rockets, satellites, and spacecraft. For example, the Apollo 11 spacecraft reached a speed of approximately 11.2 kilometers per second in order to escape the Earth's gravitational pull and travel to the moon.