Escape velocity earth confusion

In summary, the Earth's escape velocity is relative to the Earth, and the escape velocity from the Earth is not affected by the Earth rotation.
AakashPandita
Namaste
If escape velocity on Earth is 11 km/s and velocity of Earth is 30 km/s how is that the atmosphere doesn't escape the pull of earth.
Is the escape velocity with reference to Earth ? I don't think so because when finding the formula we add kinetic and potential energy and then equate to zero. If it is not then doesn't everything on Earth has velocity greater than escape velocity...
Please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
The escape velocity on Earth is relative to the earth. In the outer fringes of the atmosphere, a very tiny percentage of molecules will randomly end up with >= escape velocity. Escape velocity from the solar system, is relative to the Sun (with some effect from orbiting planets). There are a few satellites that have exceeded escape velocity from the solar system. A list of them from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_objects_escaping_from_the_Solar_System

Likes AakashPandita
If the escape velocity is relative to Earth then why is it that( i read in my book) that projectiles are projected in the direction of rotation of Earth ?

AakashPandita said:
If the escape velocity is relative to Earth then why is it that( i read in my book) that projectiles are projected in the direction of rotation of Earth ?
It's relative to the Earth centered non-rotating frame.

Last edited:
Likes AakashPandita
AakashPandita said:
If escape velocity on Earth is 11 km/s and velocity of Earth is 30 km/s
At the equator, the surface speed of the Earth relative to it's center of mass is about 0.464 km/s. As posted by A.T., the escape velocity from the Earth is not affected by the Earth rotation, but by launching a rocket to the east at the equator the rocket would start with 0.464 km/s speed relative to the center of mass of the earth, reducing the fuel it would need to reach orbital or escape velocity speeds.

Thanks. It makes sense to me now,

What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed that an object needs to reach in order to break free from the gravitational pull of a larger object, such as a planet or moon.

What is the escape velocity of Earth?

The escape velocity of Earth is approximately 11.2 kilometers per second, or 6.96 miles per second.

Why is escape velocity important?

Escape velocity is important for space travel because it determines the amount of energy needed to launch a spacecraft into orbit or beyond. It also helps determine the shape and size of orbits around a planet or moon.

Can escape velocity vary on different planets or moons?

Yes, escape velocity can vary depending on the mass and size of the planet or moon. For example, the escape velocity on the Moon is only 2.38 kilometers per second, while the escape velocity on Jupiter is a much higher 59.5 kilometers per second.

Can objects achieve escape velocity on Earth?

Yes, objects can achieve escape velocity on Earth, but it requires a significant amount of energy and thrust. This is why rockets and other spacecrafts are used to launch into space.