Escape of Hydrogen from the Earth's Atmosphere

In summary, the Earth's atmosphere has been gradually losing hydrogen gas over time. This process is caused by the Earth's gravity, which is unable to hold onto the lightest gas in the atmosphere. Scientists believe that the majority of the Earth's original hydrogen has escaped into outer space, while some may have been absorbed into the crust or lost through chemical reactions. Despite this ongoing escape, the Earth's atmosphere still contains a significant amount of hydrogen and is not in danger of losing it all.
MartinG
Hi ! I ask you two questions:

1- If hydrogen escapes from the Earth's atmosphere as it happens, because if there are anaerobic bacteria that produce hydrogen naturally among some other living beings, because among the thousands and millions of years that life has been on earth, hydrogen was not finished and the existing water in the Earth's crust?

2- The escape velocity of hydrogen is similar to the escape velocity of the Earth but apparently there are certain thermal and non-thermal escape mechanisms that would facilitate the escape of hydrogen from the atmosphere when it is in the upper areas of the Earth's atmosphere, but I wonder, if the force of gravity of the Moon would not help to retain the Hydrogen in the region of space between the Earth and the Moon, so that the Hydrogen does not really escape from the Earth and remains in the space between the Moon and the Earth, and later eventually return to Earth. Can this happen?

I will thank you for your answers because I think this is an interesting topic in the present considering the possible use of hydrogen as an energy vector and its production from the electrolysis and dissociation of water and that if there are losses of hydrogen in handling and in the use of the same would have losses of water from the Earth's crust that would be the most complicated of the use of hydrogen as an energy vector and its sustainable use over time.

I thank you for your responses and send you greetings.

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question doesn't make sense to me. If hydrogen leaks from the power generating apparatus, it is lost for energy production whether or not it stays in the atmosphere or goes off into space. Perhaps you can explain better the reason for your question about space.

My main interest is the loss of hydrogen and consequently of water from the Earth's crust that may occur in the future with the use of hydrogen as fuel in some applications.

Also, my question is whether or not hydrogen is currently escaping from the Earth's atmosphere really.

MartinG said:
My main interest is the loss of hydrogen and consequently of water from the Earth's crust that may occur in the future with the use of hydrogen as fuel in some applications.

Also, my question is whether or not hydrogen is currently escaping from the Earth's atmosphere really.
Perhaps not surprisingly there is a Wikipedia page on loss of the Earth's atmosphere. And lots more online material as well.

Hi Perok !

Yes, I have looked for information on the internet and in Wikipedia on this topic and in general they talk about of that Hydrogen escapes from the Earth's atmosphere, but I have doubts about whether the atmospheric escape of Hydrogen actually occurs, so I asked it here too.

How much hydrogen arrives from the Sun in the solar wind ?

Baluncore said:
I don't know about this. But thank you for your response.

Baluncore said:
Alpha particles ( Hydrogen nucleii) should be deflected by Earth's magnetic field.

Seanskahn said:
Alpha particles ( Hydrogen nucleii)
You mean helium, He, surely.

Likes davenn, vanhees71 and Dale
Baluncore said:
"Analysis Of Stratospheric Air Resolves Enigma Of Hydrogen Balance In Earth's Atmosphere." University Of California - Berkeley. ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 2 September 2003.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/09/030902074301.htm
According to this analysis, although there would be greater amounts of agents that absorb hydrogen from the atmosphere and transform it back into water.
The escape of hydrogen from the Earth's atmosphere would also occur, right?

Seanskahn said:
Alpha particles ( Hydrogen nucleii) should be deflected by Earth's magnetic field.
The majority may be deflected but there is a directional window for some that reach and react with the atmosphere.
Alpa particles = energetic Helium nucleii.
Protons = energetic Hydrogen nucleii.

Bystander said:
Damnation.
Ya. I do.
I mean protons should also be blocked. Lol

Bystander said:
Damnation.
Ya. I do.
I mean protons should also be blocked. Lol

Baluncore said:
The majority may be deflected but there is a directional window for some that reach and react with the atmosphere.
Alpa particles = energetic Helium nucleii.
Protons = energetic Hydrogen nucleii.
Ok. Thank you for pointing that out.
Could you elaborate the direction tho, please.
And yes I made a mistake on alpha particles.

Thank you tho

Maybe too the entry of Protons into the atmosphere in the form of rays or cosmic rain, perhaps later it can form Hydrogen atoms in the Earth's atmosphere. Does it seem correct?

1. What causes hydrogen to escape from the Earth's atmosphere?

Hydrogen is a very light element and has a high velocity in the Earth's upper atmosphere. This, combined with the Earth's gravity, causes hydrogen atoms to reach escape velocity and leave the atmosphere.

2. How much hydrogen is lost from the Earth's atmosphere?

According to current estimates, the Earth's atmosphere loses about 3 kilograms of hydrogen per second. This may seem like a lot, but it is a very small percentage of the total amount of hydrogen in our atmosphere.

3. What effects does the escape of hydrogen have on the Earth's atmosphere?

The escape of hydrogen has a minimal impact on the Earth's atmosphere. Hydrogen is a very small component of our atmosphere, and its loss does not significantly affect the overall composition or functioning of the atmosphere.

4. Is the escape of hydrogen a natural process?

Yes, the escape of hydrogen from the Earth's atmosphere is a natural process that has been occurring since the formation of our planet. It is a result of the Earth's gravity and the high velocity of hydrogen atoms in the upper atmosphere.

5. Are there any potential consequences of the escape of hydrogen?

There are no major consequences of the escape of hydrogen from the Earth's atmosphere. However, it is important for scientists to continue monitoring this process and its potential impact on the Earth's atmosphere in the long term.