Establish connection between web app and stand-alone app

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an adapter mechanism to transfer data between a stand-alone application written in C/++/# and a web application written in C#.NET. It is suggested to use a document format, such as XML or JSON, that can be processed by both applications, and to use a tool like ZeroMQ for interprogram communication. An example is given of using NodeJS for the web application and ZeroMQ to transfer data between NodeJS and a C/C++ program.
pairofstrings

Homework Statement

Transfer data from stand-alone application written in C/++/# to web application written in C#.NET.
Transfer data from web application written in C#.NET to stand-alone application written in C/++/#.

Homework Equations

The stand-alone application runs on my PC and the web application is hosted on the server.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I think, I need an adapter mechanism that can form a bridge between web application and stand-alone application.
What I want to know is how to build the adapter mechanism that forms a bridge between web application and stand-alone application.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could define an XML document format or a JSON document format that both applications can process and either stream it or write it to a file for the other program to read.

Checkout ZeroMQ to see if it might meet your needs for interprogram communication.

www.zeromq.org

As an example, I might design a web application using NodeJS. Folks enter data into a web page. The data is sent back to the NodeJS server via a GET or POST operation. Alternatively the data might be transferred via AJAX protocol as a JSON document. The NodeJS application then might use ZeroMQ to transfer the data to another C/C++ program running in the background and might use ZeroMQ to listen for any response from the C/C++ program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_state_transfer

1. How can I establish a connection between my web application and a stand-alone application?

To establish a connection between a web application and a stand-alone application, you can use an API (Application Programming Interface). This allows the two applications to communicate with each other and share data.

2. What is the benefit of connecting a web app and a stand-alone app?

The main benefit of connecting a web application and a stand-alone application is the ability to share and transfer data between the two. This can improve the functionality and user experience of both applications.

3. Are there any security risks associated with establishing a connection between a web app and a stand-alone app?

As with any type of data transfer, there are potential security risks involved. It is important to use secure protocols and authentication methods to prevent unauthorized access to the data being transferred.

4. Can any type of web app be connected to a stand-alone app?

In most cases, yes. As long as the web application and stand-alone application have compatible technologies and protocols, they can be connected. However, it is important to consider the purpose and functionality of both applications before establishing a connection.

5. What are some common methods for establishing a connection between a web app and a stand-alone app?

Some common methods for establishing a connection between a web application and a stand-alone application include using a web service, creating a custom API, or using a third-party middleware service. The best method will depend on the specific needs and technologies of the applications being connected.