Estimate average speed of electrons in gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to estimate the average speed of electrons in a heated gas that glows bright orange when in use. The gas is modeled as an ideal gas and the equation Ke = 1/2 m v ^2 is suggested as a possible solution. The color of the gas is important as it is related to the temperature, which can be used to find other useful quantities.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Suppose that a heated gas comprised of electrons glows bright orange when it is in use. Estimate the average speed of the electrons in the gas. Model this gas as an ideal gas.

Homework Equations

None. I have no clue. This is a "review" question on a chapter titled "Current and Resistance."
It's under the section "Microscopic model of charge flow," but I have no clue what equations I can use here.

possibly Ke = 1/2 m v ^2? That's the first one that comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry I know it's not good to do this but I just don't know what to do.

I think the answer may be dependent on the gas glowing bright orange part?

I know:

-the particles in an ideal gas do not interact with one another
-particles are free to move in any direction at any speed

but these facts still don't help me *shrug*

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
I think the answer may be dependent on the gas glowing bright orange part?

You're on the right track. The color is important. Check out the phenomena called incandescence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescence). The idea is that the color is related to the temperature. In other words, you can use the color to get an idea of what the temperature is. Now what is temperature? Based on the definition, what other useful quantities do you think you might be able to find from the temperature? Keep in mind that it's an ideal gas.

1. How can the average speed of electrons in a gas be estimated?

The average speed of electrons in a gas can be estimated by using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which describes the distribution of speeds for particles in a gas at a given temperature. By knowing the temperature and using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, the average speed of electrons can be calculated.

2. What factors affect the average speed of electrons in a gas?

The average speed of electrons in a gas is affected by the temperature, pressure, and composition of the gas. As temperature and pressure increase, the average speed of electrons also increases. Additionally, the average speed can vary depending on the type of gas and the presence of impurities.

3. Can the average speed of electrons in a gas be measured directly?

No, the average speed of electrons in a gas cannot be measured directly. Instead, it is estimated using mathematical models and equations based on the properties of the gas.

4. How does the average speed of electrons in a gas relate to electrical conductivity?

The average speed of electrons in a gas is directly related to its electrical conductivity. As the average speed increases, the number of collisions between electrons and other particles in the gas also increases, resulting in higher conductivity.

5. Is the average speed of electrons in a gas constant?

No, the average speed of electrons in a gas is not constant. It can vary depending on the temperature, pressure, and composition of the gas. It can also change over time as these factors change.