Estimate the radiation pressure

In summary, the radiation pressure due to a 100 W bulb at a distance of .08 m from the center of the bulb can be estimated using the equation Prad = P / ( (SA)*c ) = 100W/ (4π(.08)2*c) = 4.15*10-6 Pa. By assuming the absorbing case, the force exerted on a fingertip with an area of .0001 m2 placed at this point can be estimated as F = (4.15*10^-6 Pa) * (.0001 m2) = 4.15*10-10 N. However, the reflectivity of the fingertip should also be taken into account.
ooohffff

Homework Statement

a) Estimate the radiation pressure due to a 100 W bulb at a distance of .08 m from the center of the bulb.
b) Estimate the force exerted on your fingertip if you place it at this point. (Assume an area of .0001 m2 for the fingertip.)

Homework Equations

F=PradA

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I'm assuming the radiation is like a sphere. I'm a little confused on what radiation pressure formula to use in this situation. I have formulas for perfectly absorbing and perfectly reflecting?

Power = 100W
r = .08m
SA = 4πr2

b) I know that the Force = Pressure * Area of fingertip, so I would need to get a) right to get b)

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the equation be:

Prad = I / c ?

Plugging stuff in, this is what I get:

c = 1/√(μoεo)
I = P/ (SA)
Prad = P / ( (SA)*c ) = 100W/ (4π(.08)2*c) = 4.15*10-6 Pa

F= (4.15*10^-6 Pa) * (.0001 m2) = 4.15*10-10 N

ooohffff said:
I have formulas for perfectly absorbing and perfectly reflecting?
I would assume the absorbing case here. Please quote it.

ooohffff said:
Would the equation be:

Prad = I / c ?

Plugging stuff in, this is what I get:

c = 1/√(μoεo)
I = P/ (SA)
Prad = P / ( (SA)*c ) = 100W/ (4π(.08)2*c) = 4.15*10-6 Pa

F= (4.15*10^-6 Pa) * (.0001 m2) = 4.15*10-10 N
Looks right, except your fingertip will have some reflectivity.

haruspex said:
Looks right, except your fingertip will have some reflectivity.
Great thanks!

1. What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation on an object. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from photons to the object's surface.

2. How is radiation pressure calculated?

Radiation pressure is calculated using the formula P = E/c, where P is the pressure, E is the energy of the radiation, and c is the speed of light.

3. What are some common applications of radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure has many applications in science and technology, such as solar sails, laser propulsion, and particle accelerators. It also plays a role in atmospheric and astrophysical processes.

4. How does radiation pressure affect objects in space?

In space, radiation pressure can have significant effects on objects, particularly small particles and gases. It can cause them to move or be pushed away from a radiation source, such as the sun.

5. What factors can influence the magnitude of radiation pressure?

The magnitude of radiation pressure is influenced by the intensity and wavelength of the radiation, as well as the size and material of the object being acted upon. Distance from the radiation source also plays a role.