Estimate the Resistance of a Gold Wedding Ring

In summary, the problem is to estimate the resistance of a gold wedding-type ring, making certain assumptions. These assumptions include considering the ring to be pure gold, having a circular or semi-circular cross section, and using a radius of 1.5mm for the cross section. The length of the ring can be determined using the radius and circumference, and the resistance can be calculated using the resistance equation R = ρL/A. The value of R may not be precise due to difficulties in measuring resistance using circuits.
Dhooy7

Homework Statement

Estimate the resistance of a gold (wedding-type) ring. State clearly all assumptions, and introduce any equations you use. your solution should also include a brief summary of how you approached and solved the problem. Helpful tip:

You will have to make certain assumptions. My professor is not looking for one particular numerical answer. Any reasonable approximations will be acceptable.

Homework Equations

I have the Resistance equation.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxbMjcZxKYxA-7OganCoOweUie1EfwUoqpIvj5jAZ0lBWBXSN9vv8VKGQ.png

upload_2015-3-24_9-41-10.jpeg

The Attempt at a Solution

We have to make assumptions. I would need to lookup the resistivity of gold.

Not sure though how to do it though if it is 50% copper as well. If it was 100% gold, you would lookup the resistivity of gold, the length of gold ring (L), and figure out the area.

I would make an assumption for the radius. This would be a cross-sectional area I believe. I'm not really sure what some reasonable L, and R values are.

Also, what would you say about being 100% gold vs 50% copper and 50% gold?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing wrong with assuming that the ring is pure gold.
The radius of cross section is important.

if r is the radius of cross section, then ##\pi r^2## is A.
Then you can find L when radius of ring is R.
You can then find R using the expression ##R=\rho L/A##

So if you find R using the above method,the assumptions you would be making are:
1)the cross section of ring is circular
2)the ring is pure gold

What are some reasonable assumptions and values for a cross-sectional radius of a ring?

Is 0.1cm for r and what is the L for?

The problem is, it is difficult to measure its resistance using circuits. For example, if you use a battery of 3V and an ammeter, then you have to connect the ring like this -()-. Now the equvivalent resistance depends on the arc length between the connecting wires. Once you know the equvivalent resistance in terms of R, use ammeter and baterry to find equivalent resistance from circuit and then equate the two. The value of R will not be precise.

Here is a better assumption. After going through the dimensions of some wedding rings, I found that they almost have a semi circular cross section. 1.5mm radius is good.
so take radius of cross section as 1.5mm and assume semicircular cross section. The diameter can be taken from 15mm to 20mm.

1. What is the Resistance of a Wedding Ring?

The resistance of a wedding ring refers to its ability to withstand damage or wear and tear over time. This can include factors such as scratches, dents, and overall durability.

2. Why is Resistance Important in a Wedding Ring?

Resistance is important in a wedding ring because it determines how long the ring will last and maintain its appearance. A ring with low resistance may become damaged and lose its beauty quickly, while a ring with high resistance will remain intact for longer.

3. How is Resistance Measured in a Wedding Ring?

Resistance in a wedding ring is measured using a scale known as the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. This scale ranges from 1-10, with 10 being the most resistant. Most wedding rings are made of materials with a hardness between 2-9 on the Mohs scale.

4. What Factors Affect the Resistance of a Wedding Ring?

There are several factors that can affect the resistance of a wedding ring. These include the type of material the ring is made of, the design and structure of the ring, and the amount of wear and tear the ring experiences on a daily basis.

5. How Can I Increase the Resistance of My Wedding Ring?

To increase the resistance of your wedding ring, you can choose a material with a higher hardness on the Mohs scale, such as platinum or titanium. You can also opt for a more durable design, such as a thicker band or a ring with fewer intricate details. Proper maintenance and care can also help to increase the resistance of a wedding ring.