Estimating magnetic field from an electrical arc

In summary, the conversation discusses a model for estimating the magnetic field observed from electrical arcing, specifically when unplugging a device from a 120V, 60Hz outlet. The model takes into consideration parameters such as voltage, current, electrical frequency, gap area, gap length, humidity, and observation distance. One approach suggested is using Ampere's Law, which calculates the azimuthal magnetic field at a given distance from the arc based on the current and the permeability of free space.
rasputin243
Hi all,

I'm trying to develop a model of the magnetic field observed from electrical arcing. To start, I want to consider the example of arcing that sometimes occurs when you unplug a device (inductive load, for example) from a 120V, 60Hz outlet.

I searched for a while elsewhere online, and I didn't see any analytical approaches to estimating this magnetic field outside of very high-level equations and rules-of-thumb. My model would ideally take the following parameters into consideration:

-voltage
-current
-electrical frequency
-gap area
-gap length
-humidity (not essential)
-observation distance (and angle, if possible... a single axis is acceptable)

If anyone could provide some guidance as to what my approach should be, I would be grateful.

-rasputin243

Engineering news on Phys.org
The azimuthal magnetic field B (in Tesla) at distance r (meters) from the arc is

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}[/tex]

where μ0 = 4π x 10-7 and I is the current in amps.

This is Ampere's Law.

Bob S

Related to Estimating magnetic field from an electrical arc

1. How is the magnetic field produced by an electrical arc estimated?

The magnetic field produced by an electrical arc is estimated by using the Biot-Savart Law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current flowing through a wire and the distance from the wire.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by an electrical arc?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by an electrical arc can be affected by several factors, including the current flowing through the arc, the distance from the arc, and the shape and size of the arc.

3. How accurate are the estimates of magnetic field from an electrical arc?

The accuracy of the estimates of magnetic field from an electrical arc depends on several factors, such as the precision of the measurements and the complexity of the arc shape. Generally, these estimates have a margin of error of around 10-20%.

4. Can the magnetic field from an electrical arc be measured directly?

Yes, the magnetic field from an electrical arc can be measured directly using a magnetic field sensor or a magnetometer. However, this method may be limited by the distance from the arc and the sensitivity of the equipment.

5. How is estimating the magnetic field from an electrical arc useful in practical applications?

Estimating the magnetic field from an electrical arc can be useful in various practical applications, such as designing and optimizing electrical systems, predicting and preventing electrical failures, and studying the effects of magnetic fields on living organisms.