Estimating the energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay

In summary, after emitting a gamma ray photon, the energy of the photon is approximately given by Eγ≈ΔE−(ΔE)^2/(2mc^2)
dungonyu

Homework Statement

Consider a nucleus which is initially at rest and in an excited state with energy Ei. It then
decays to a lower energy state with energy Ef by emitting a gamma-ray photon.
Show that the energy of the photon is approximately given by

Eγ≈ΔE−(ΔE)^2/(2mc^2)

where ΔE = Ei - Ef and m is the mass of the nucleus.Note that ΔE is of the order MeV and
hence ΔE << mc^2

Homework Equations

Relativistic energy-momemtum formula:
E^2=(mc^2)^2+( pc)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If I consider Ei=m*c^2 and Ef=m'*c^2, where m' is the mass of the nucleus after the emission,

After some calculations with the formula by applying conservation of energy and momentum,

1. momentum of the photon equals to momentum of the nucleus in magnitude, Eγ=pc,

2. mc^2= "square root of (m'c^2)^2+( pc)^2" + Eγ

I get Eγ= ΔE−(ΔE)^2/(2mc^2), which does not have any approximation

Am I wrong in the very first step by assuming

Ei=m*c^2 and Ef=m'*c^2 ? and applying the formula but forgetting some important approximation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eγ= ΔE−(ΔE)^2/(2mc^2) gets negative for large ΔE, it has to be an approximation with limited validity.

You don't need the mass of the initial nucleus - it is at rest, it has zero momentum anyway.

mfb said:
Eγ= ΔE−(ΔE)^2/(2mc^2) gets negative for large ΔE, it has to be an approximation with limited validity.

You don't need the mass of the initial nucleus - it is at rest, it has zero momentum anyway.

I don't understand. Shouldn't I approximate the energy of the emitted photon with the mass of the nucleus? And after the emission, both the photon and the nucleus carry non zero momentum.

I have enriched my steps in attempt. And I just wonder whether my first assumptions on Ei and Ef are correct

dungonyu said:
Shouldn't I approximate the energy of the emitted photon with the mass of the nucleus?
With the energy difference for the nucleus.
And after the emission, both the photon and the nucleus carry non zero momentum.
Sure, but you don't have the initial nucleus after the emission.

As ΔE << mc^2, you can use the nonrelativistic momentum of the nucleus.

I have enriched my steps in attempt. And I just wonder whether my first assumptions on Ei and Ef are correct
There is still something missing, I think.

$$mc^2=\sqrt{(m'c^2)^2+(pc)^2} + Eγ$$
And what did you do afterwards?

mfb said:
With the energy difference for the nucleus.
Sure, but you don't have the initial nucleus after the emission.

As ΔE << mc^2, you can use the nonrelativistic momentum of the nucleus.

There is still something missing, I think.

$$mc^2=\sqrt{(m'c^2)^2+(pc)^2} + Eγ$$
And what did you do afterwards?

pc= Eγ. So (mc^2-Eγ)^2=(m'c^2)^2+(Eγ)^2

then
(mc^2)^2-2mc^2*(Eγ)+(Eγ)^2=(m'c^2)^2+(Eγ)^2
rearranging terms and cancelling (Eγ)^2 we get
2mc^2*(Eγ)= (mc^2)^2- (m'c^2)^2

if we assert Ei = mc^2 and Ef = m'c^2,
2mc^2*(Eγ)= (Ei)^2-(Ef)^2= (Ei-Ef)(Ei+Ef)=ΔE(2Ei-ΔE)

so by dividing 2mc^2, which is equal to 2Ei, the desired result follows. However is it awkward to assume that Ei = mc^2 because Ei is an excited energy level of the nucleus?

I think m should be the mass of the nucleus afterwards. Here you can use the assumption ΔE << mc^2 to fix that ;).

1. How is the energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay estimated?

The energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay is estimated using the equation E=hf, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the photon. This equation is based on the relationship between energy and frequency in the electromagnetic spectrum.

2. What factors affect the energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay?

The energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay is primarily affected by the energy levels of the nucleus undergoing decay. Other factors that can influence the energy include the type of decay (alpha, beta, gamma), the mass of the nucleus, and the energy conservation laws.

3. Can the energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay be predicted?

Yes, the energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay can be predicted using nuclear models and experimental data. However, there is always a degree of uncertainty due to the probabilistic nature of radioactive decay.

4. How is the energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay measured?

The energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay can be measured using a gamma ray spectrometer. This instrument uses a scintillator material to detect gamma rays and a photomultiplier tube to convert the signal into an electrical pulse. The amplitude of the pulse is proportional to the energy of the detected photon.

5. Why is it important to estimate the energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay?

Estimating the energy of an emitted photon in gamma decay is important for understanding the properties of the nucleus undergoing decay and for studying the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of matter. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear medicine and radiation therapy.