Estimating UVA & UVB from UVI index

• I
  • Thread starter simonbour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index
In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the amount of UVA and UVB from the UVI index for practical purposes. Two research papers are referenced, and it is established that for zenith angles less than 70 degrees, the relationship between UVB and UVI is 18.9 UVB[W/m2] = 18.9 UVI with an accuracy of over 90%. For a specific region, the relationship between UVA and UVB for zenith angles less than 50 degrees is UVA = 41 UVB. It is then mentioned that a simple Google search for the weather conditions in Kuwait results in a UVI of 6, which implies a UVB of 113 W/m2 and UVA of 464
simonbour
Hi all,

I am interested in estimating the amount of UVA and UVB from the UVI index for parctical purposes.
I have found 2 research papers that shed some light on the matter (see [1][2]).
Let us define first UVB as the solar irradiance integral in the range 280-315mm
and UVA as the solar irradiance integral in the range 315-400mm

From [1] it is established that for zenith angles < 70deg the following relationship hold with an accuracy > 90%:
UVB[W/m2] = 18.9 UVI

From [2] it is established, for a specific region (Kuwait), that the relationship between UVA and UVB for zenith angles < 50deg is:
UVA = 41 UVB

Here comes the part where I hit the wall. Doing a simple google search on weather condition today in Kuwait, I get and UVI = 6, this would imply (for zenith angle < 50deg):

UVB = 113 W/m2
UVA = 4649 W/m2

This is way to much radiation in the UV band. Even at the Atacama Desert, full-spectrum irradiance values only go as high as ~1300W/m2

So I am left with 3 options (not mutually exclusive):
1. Paper [1] is wrong
2. Paper [2] is wrong
3. I am wrong

Any thoughs?

Thanx in advance!

Simon.

References:
[1] McKenzie et al. Relationship between UVB and erythemally weighted radiation
[2] Kollias et al. The value of the ratio of UVA to UVB in sunlight

Physics news on Phys.org
From Wikipedia "Ultraviolet":

"Sunlight in space at the top of Earth's atmosphere (see solar constant) is composed of about 50% infrared light, 40% visible light, and 10% ultraviolet light, for a total intensity of about 1400 W/m2 in vacuum.[20]

"However, at ground level sunlight is 44% visible light, 3% ultraviolet (with the Sun at its zenith), and the remainder infrared."

This suggests no more than about 40 W/m2 total uv at the surface.

Are you sure those units were W/m2?

Since everything hinges on the calibration of UVI, I'd look there first. A factor of nearly 20 doesn't leave much room for UVI to grow. Could the relations be for example latitude dependent?

Thank you for the answer John. I actually got in touch with the author paper [1] and there was a numeric error that propagated throughout the publication. The correct
relationship is:
UV-B [W/m2] = 0.189 UVI
So for the previous example (UVI = 6) , the correct result would be:
UV-B [W/m2] = 1.3
UV-A [W/m2] = 46.5

I would expect it to be dependant upon several factors but this are rough approximations. In the first case it has an error of 10% (assuming sza<70deg and 250<DU<400), I don't remember the details about the second.

All the best,

Simon.

I assume that second UV-B value should be 1.13 not 1.3?

Glad that things seem to be resolved. And good luck.

1. What is the UVI index and how is it related to UV radiation?

The UV Index (UVI) is a numerical scale that measures the intensity of UV radiation from the sun at a particular location. It takes into account factors such as the angle of the sun and the thickness of the Earth's atmosphere. UVI is directly related to the amount of UV radiation that reaches the Earth's surface.

2. How is UVI used to estimate UVA and UVB radiation?

UVI is used as a proxy for estimating UVA and UVB radiation because it provides a quick and easy way to measure the intensity of UV radiation at a specific location. Since UVI is directly related to UV radiation, a higher UVI indicates higher levels of UVA and UVB radiation.

3. What are the health effects of UVA and UVB radiation?

UVA and UVB radiation can both have harmful effects on the skin, including sunburn, premature aging, and an increased risk of skin cancer. UVA radiation is also linked to eye damage, such as cataracts.

4. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of estimating UVA and UVB from UVI?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of estimating UVA and UVB radiation from UVI. These include the time of day (UV radiation is strongest around midday), cloud cover (clouds can block UV radiation), and altitude (UV radiation is more intense at higher altitudes).

5. How can I protect myself from UVA and UVB radiation?

To protect yourself from UVA and UVB radiation, it is important to limit your exposure to the sun, especially during peak hours (10am-4pm). Wear sunscreen with a high SPF, protective clothing, and seek shade when possible. It is also important to regularly check the UVI and adjust your sun protection measures accordingly.