Eternity of self-aware entities

• Thread starter fcpf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of self-aware entities existing in a vast universe with multiple galaxies. It is suggested that the chance of such an event recurring is inevitable, regardless of the continuity of memory or perception of time. However, the probability could be very small and may decrease as the universe ages. It is also questioned whether all self-aware entities will inevitably experience self-awareness for as long as life exists in the universe. The possibility of this is uncertain, as there is no connection between current and future self-aware entities.
fcpf
For an entity to be born and recognize itself as a self-aware entity ("I exist"), there had to be a non-zero probability that such event occurs. In a universe which is known to host some 100 billions of galaxies - and which possibly is infinite or even just one universe among an infinite number of universes - wouldn't that make sense then to say that the probability of such event occurring again is inevitable?
Obviously, there won't be any relation between the 'I' in the present and the next 'I' in which self-awareness occurs (doesn't have to be human), and no continuity of memory. That means that the new entity won't have a perception of any time lapse between the 2 events, whether it be 5 mn or 1 million Earth years. In that sense, can we say that any self-aware entity like me and you will inevitably experience self-awareness for as long as the universe sustain life?
I wonder if my reasoning on probability makes sense, or whether I fall into some kind of flying teapot fallacy... I'm interested in reading your thoughts on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't that make sense then to say that the probability of such event occurring again is inevitable?
The probability could be tiny, and even decreasing with increasing age of the universe. In a finite universe, the expected number of future self-aware entities can be very small (<<1).
In that sense, can we say that any self-aware entity like me and you will inevitably experience self-awareness for as long as the universe sustain life?
I don't think so, as there is no relation between us and some self-awareness far away in time or space.

Sorry, this thread doesn't meet our posting criteria.

1. What is the concept of "eternity of self-aware entities"?

The concept of "eternity of self-aware entities" refers to the idea that sentient beings, or entities who are self-aware and possess consciousness, continue to exist beyond their physical death. This concept is often associated with beliefs about an afterlife or reincarnation.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of an eternity of self-aware entities?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of an eternity of self-aware entities. The concept of an afterlife or reincarnation is a philosophical and religious belief, rather than a scientifically proven phenomenon.

3. Can self-awareness be preserved after physical death?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that self-awareness can be preserved after physical death. The brain is responsible for consciousness and self-awareness, and when it stops functioning, these abilities cease as well.

4. Are there any theories or hypotheses that attempt to explain the eternity of self-aware entities?

There are various theories and hypotheses from different philosophical and religious perspectives that attempt to explain the concept of an eternity of self-aware entities. However, these are not scientifically proven and are based on personal beliefs and interpretations.

5. How does the concept of eternity of self-aware entities relate to the idea of the soul?

The concept of the soul is often associated with the idea of an eternity of self-aware entities, as it is believed to be the eternal essence of an individual that continues to exist after death. However, whether the soul exists or not is a matter of personal belief and cannot be scientifically proven.