Is It Better to Like or Reply with Thank You on Forums?

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
In summary, both "like" and "informative" are good reactions to getting a useful answer to a question.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
If you get a useful answer to a question, would it be considered ok to just click "Like" or "Informative", versus a brief "thank you" reply? On one hand, just clicking "like" may not be noticed, and may then seem lacking in appreciation. On the other hand, some forums (eg stackexchange) prefer that users don't create non-functional responses like mere "thank you" posts.

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
Both, as an alternative over doing the other, are in my opinion good.

Likes Swamp Thing
Thank you! :wink:

Swamp Thing said:
If you get a useful answer to a question, would it be considered ok to just click "Like" or "Informative", versus a brief "thank you" reply? On one hand, just clicking "like" may not be noticed, and may then seem lacking in appreciation. On the other hand, some forums (eg stackexchange) prefer that users don't create non-functional responses like mere "thank you" posts.
The original poster's choice. Picking a reaction instead of making a post expressing gratitude IS noticed. Member who received reaction sees a notification count number on the bell icon.

symbolipoint said:
Member who received reaction sees a notification count number on the bell icon.
Unless they've got that turned off - it's an option in settings. I do use "like" as an acknowledgment, but you don't actually know that the other person has received it.

Likes mfb
OP gets notification that their post was liked, so it is not like the appreciation is lost.

Not sure if they can't switch notifications off, but if - it is their choice (and not my problem :wink: )

Likes Bystander
Borek said:
Not sure if they can't switch notifications off, but if - it is their choice (and not my problem :wink: )
Screenshot_20221026-082237_Firefox.jpg

In fact, it looks like you can turn off all alerts, for a peaceful browsing experience. 😁

Swamp Thing said:
We used to have a "thanks" icon as an option but it was taken away. I argued strenuously against changing "thanks" to "like" for the very reason expressed in your post. I lost the argument.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...like-count-say-about-you.897245/#post-5645840

So now if you want to thank someone you have to do a "thank you" post since the "like" icon MAY mean "thanks" but it may not and you can't tell. "Informative" is good in many cases but not the same as "thanks".

• Informative
Likes TeethWhitener and Bystander
Swamp Thing said:
SO and other sites in the SE network are Q/A sites, and they consider "Thanks", "Any advice is appreciated" and similar stuff as fluff, which they encourage to remove by editing. PF is a discussion site, OTOH.

My approach to thank is mixed. If it's for example, a technology question where something wasn't working, and I had asked for help, then I would do a "Like" as well as quote reply to hat post stating that it has solved my issue. This would be a clear indication of what worked in my case for future visitors. This should also be used for HW questions.

For suggestion-type posts, with all the suggestions on equal footing, I would just give a "Like" or "Informative" reaction rather than write a post just to thank.

Likes vela and berkeman
Swamp Thing said:
If I have made an effort to give info to a poster, I appreciate an acknowledgment of it. Whatever that may be.
I do the same when I ask questions and get responses back.
It is polite AFAIC.
I think "thanks" would be a good alert, I suppose 'like' does that job to an extent.

I think either method is fine. I especially like to see when a relatively new poster here takes the time at the end of a thread to thank folks for their help -- I usually "Like" such replies to show the OP that it is appreciated.

Note however that "Thank you" or similar short replies at the end of threads by other than the OP (or any others involved in asking the questions) is often used by prospective spammers trying to increase their post count so that they can post a link to their client's website. The Mentors usually handle those replies differently... :wink:

What is the appropriate response after someone answers a question?

After someone answers a question, it is polite to thank them for their response. You can also show your appreciation by nodding or making a positive comment about their answer.

Should I ask follow-up questions after someone answers a question?

It is generally acceptable to ask follow-up questions after someone answers a question. However, be mindful of the person's time and make sure your follow-up questions are relevant and respectful.

Is it rude to correct someone's answer to a question?

It is considered impolite to publicly correct someone's answer to a question. If you believe their answer is incorrect, you can politely offer your own perspective or ask for clarification.

What should I do if I don't understand the answer to a question?

If you don't understand the answer to a question, it is appropriate to politely ask for clarification. You can also ask the person to explain the answer in a different way or provide more context.

Is it necessary to say "excuse me" before asking a question?

It is considered polite to say "excuse me" before asking a question, especially if the person is in the middle of a conversation or task. This shows that you respect their time and attention.