Euchre Tournament random seating algorithm

In summary, the conversation is about a puzzle involving seating 8 adults into pairings for a game. The person who posed the question initially thought that 10 rounds would cover all possible combinations, but later realizes that it would require more rounds. They mention using the C(n,r) formula, but have difficulties applying it correctly. Another person suggests manually creating a list of pairings for 7 rounds, but it may result in unbalanced play. The conversation also briefly touches on a similar puzzle involving 16 players.
tom_mi
Hi All,
I'm hoping I can find some help to solve a puzzle that came up last night with friends. I thought I could find a solution but have been out of college too long. We had 3 couples over (8 adults), and wanted to play a single round for each possible pairing of the 8 people. After playing with each person as a partner, we' have an individual emerge with the highest overall score.

I thought about 10 rounds would cover each combination, and we simply played until we knew we'd each played with every other person. This got me thinking of my old linear algebra class in college and the 'n choose y' formulas involving factorials.

I've googled and found the combinatorial matrix formula, but can't use it to properly get the number I'm looking for.

Goal: How to apply the C(n,r) formula to properly seat 8 adults into a single pairing with every other member.

My (wrong?) strategy is a 2-pass process:

pass 1: find the number of combinations of all 8 C(8,2) = 28. I know this is correct.
pass 2 (my fail): We must know how many ways to combine each of those 28 pairs into groupings of 4. Isn't this C(28,4)? Obviously not, because that's 20,475. We'd played every combination in about 9 rounds.Many thanks for anyone willing to help me clarify this! For reference, the combinational matrix formula:
C(8,2) = 8! / 2! (8 - 2)! = 28
C(28,4) = 28! / 4! (28 - 4)! = 20475

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
As I think more about it, the second pass might not need the c(n,k) formula.

the 28 pairs just need to be divided by 4 seats without replication e.g the table can't hold persons 1,4 and 3,1 because person #1 can't sit in 2 seats simultaneously. I'm a programmer and can write a script to handle this second pass; maybe the problem doesn't lend itself to a purely mathematical representation.

I actually ran into the same issues years ago in college when we would host 16 person euchre tournaments. We wanted everyone to play against everyone else exactly once. It turned out to be a pretty non-trivial issue to solve, and I spent quite a bit of time figuring it out. When I finally solved it, I made a piece of software to do it automatically and then to make it all into a pretty scoreboard with PDF scoresheets. It is available for free on sourceforge (http://euchretourney.sourceforge.net/).

Sourceforge also gives access to all the code, so you can see in there what the algorithmic solution was if you're interested as well.

jfalter said:
We wanted everyone to play against everyone else exactly once.
That isn't possible. For 8 players there are 7 rounds, so that means 2 opponents per round (the other team). That averages to playing every opponent twice. I don't know if this is possible, the 2nd list below has some player versus player occurring 1 or 3 times. I tried your program with 8 players and unless I missed something, player 1 never plays against player 8.

Back to the OP, it's doesn't seem too difficult to fill in the list manually for 7 rounds (28 combinations done 4 at a time). The first 3 rows are just permutations of 2 groups of 4 people. The left column just follows all the pairings with person 0. 4th and 5th rows permute two sets of 4 people that haven't played with each other yet. 6th and 7th rows do the same thing:

01 23 | 45 67
02 13 | 46 57
03 12 | 47 56
04 25 | 16 37
05 24 | 17 36
06 27 | 14 35
07 26 | 15 34

This list doesn't result in balanced play in terms of opponents. 0 versus 2 occurs 6 times, while 0 versus 7 only occurs 1 time. The next list is a bit better, with most opponent combinations occurring 2 times, and a few occurring 1 or 3 times:

01 23 | 45 67
02 46 | 13 57
03 56 | 12 47
04 37 | 16 25
05 17 | 24 36
06 14 | 27 35
07 26 | 15 34

To get every team versus every team would be 28C2 = 378 combinations, with a best possible case of 189 rounds.

Last edited:

Hi there,

I can understand your confusion with using the combinatorial matrix formula to properly seat 8 adults in a single pairing with every other member. It seems like you are on the right track with using the formula C(n,r) to find the number of combinations, but there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, the formula C(n,r) is used to find the number of combinations without repetition. In this case, we are looking for a seating algorithm where each person will only play with another person once. Therefore, the formula C(n,r) may not be the most appropriate to use.

Secondly, the formula C(n,r) is used to find the number of combinations for a specific group size. In your case, you are looking to seat 8 adults in a single pairing, which would be a group size of 2. So, using C(28,4) would give you the number of combinations for a group size of 4, which is not what you are looking for.

Instead, you can use the formula C(n,r) = n! / (r!(n-r)!) to find the number of combinations for a specific group size. In this case, it would be C(8,2) = 8! / (2!(8-2)!) = 8!/2!6! = 8*7/2 = 28. This means that there are 28 possible pairings for 8 adults.

To properly seat each person with every other member, you can use a round-robin scheduling algorithm. This algorithm ensures that each person will play with every other person once in a specific number of rounds. In your case, you can use a 7-round tournament where each person will play with a different partner in each round.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your Euchre tournament!

1. How does the random seating algorithm work for a Euchre Tournament?

The random seating algorithm for a Euchre Tournament works by assigning players to tables in a completely random order. This ensures that each player has an equal chance of playing with and against different opponents.

2. What factors are considered in the random seating algorithm for a Euchre Tournament?

The main factor considered in the random seating algorithm is fairness. The algorithm aims to create a balanced and unbiased distribution of players across tables, so that each player has an equal chance of winning.

3. Can the random seating algorithm be influenced or manipulated?

No, the random seating algorithm for a Euchre Tournament is designed to be completely unbiased and not influenced by any external factors. It uses a random number generator to determine the seating order, ensuring a fair distribution of players.

4. Are there any alternative seating algorithms for a Euchre Tournament?

Yes, there are multiple seating algorithms used in Euchre Tournaments. Some may use a predetermined seating order, while others may use a combination of random and predetermined seating. However, the random seating algorithm is the most commonly used as it is fair and unbiased.

5. Can the random seating algorithm be adjusted for different tournament formats?

Yes, the random seating algorithm can be adjusted to accommodate different tournament formats, such as round-robin or elimination style. The algorithm can also be modified to ensure that players do not play with or against the same opponents multiple times, depending on the tournament rules.