Euler-Lagrange equation: pulley system

In summary, the string's total length is equal to the sum of the lengths of its three straight sections.
bookworm031
Homework Statement
Determine, using Euler-Lagrange's equation, the acceleration for B when the weights are moving vertically.
Relevant Equations
##\frac{d}{dt}\bigg(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{y}}\bigg) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial y}##, ##L = T - V##
atwood.png

##m_{A} = 3 kg##
##m_{B} = 2 kg##

##y_{A} + y_{B} = c \Leftrightarrow y_{A} = c - y_{B}##, where c is a constant.
##\Rightarrow \dot{y_{A}} = -\dot{y_{B}}##

The Lagrangian:
$$L = T - V$$
##T =\frac{1}{2}m_{A}\dot{y_{B}}^{2} + \frac{1}{2}m_{B}\dot{y_{B}}^{2}##
##V = m_{A}g(c - y_{B}) + m_{B}gy_{B}##
##\Leftrightarrow L = \frac{1}{2}m_{A}\dot{y_{B}}^{2} + \frac{1}{2}m_{B}\dot{y_{B}}^{2} - (m_{A}g(c - y_{B}) + m_{B}gy_{B})##

Applying Euler-Lagrange's equation:

##\frac{d}{dt}\bigg(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{y}}\bigg) = \ddot{y_{B}}(m_{B} + m_{A})##
##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y} = g(m_{A} - m_{B})##

Solving for ##\ddot{y_{B}}##:
##\ddot{y_{B}} = \frac{g(m_{A} - m_{B})}{(m_{B} + m_{A})} = 1.9604 \frac{m}{s^{2}}##

The answer is supposed to be ##1.78 \frac{m}{s^{2}}##. What am I doing wrong? I'm completely lost.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bookworm031 said:
##y_{A} + y_{B} = c ##, where c is a constant.
Sure?

haruspex said:
Sure?
No. However, the rationale was that, since one weight moves down as the other moves up, and vice versa, the difference should always be a constant. Do you think this is wrong? If so, what's the relationship between ##y_{A}## and ##y_{B}##?

Edit: Now that I think about it, ##y_{A} + y_{B} = c## doesn't make much sense, though I'm still not sure how to set up a relationship.

Last edited:
bookworm031 said:
No. However, the rationale was that, since one weight moves down as the other moves up, and vice versa, the difference should always be a constant. Do you think this is wrong? If so, what's the relationship between ##y_{A}## and ##y_{B}##?

Edit: Now that I think about it, ##y_{A} + y_{B} = c## doesn't make much sense, though I'm still not sure how to set up a relationship.
Express the total length of the string in terms of the three straight parts. Don't worry about the semicircular arcs since those are constant.

Likes Lnewqban and PhDeezNutz
haruspex said:
Express the total length of the string in terms of the three straight parts. Don't worry about the semicircular arcs since those are constant.
I don't know why I find this so difficult, I feel very stupid right now. I should express the total length only in terms of ##y_{A}## and ##y_{B}##, right? I've been staring myself blind at this figure.

bookworm031 said:
I don't know why I find this so difficult, I feel very stupid right now. I should express the total length only in terms of ##y_{A}## and ##y_{B}##, right? I've been staring myself blind at this figure.
Let the lengths of the string sections, numbered from the left, be L1, L2, L3.
Allow also a constant Lf for the short fixed string supporting the upper pulley.
What equations can you write relating these to ##y_{A}## and ##y_{B}##?
Can you then find L1+L2+L3 in terms of ##y_{A}##, ##y_{B}, L_f##?

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the motion of a system of particles or objects. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the total energy or action.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation applied to pulley systems?

In pulley systems, the Euler-Lagrange equation is used to determine the equations of motion for the system. This allows us to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the objects involved in the system.

3. What are the variables in the Euler-Lagrange equation for a pulley system?

The variables in the Euler-Lagrange equation for a pulley system include the position, velocity, and acceleration of the objects involved, as well as the mass and forces acting on each object.

4. How does the Euler-Lagrange equation account for friction in a pulley system?

The Euler-Lagrange equation can be modified to include friction by adding a term for the frictional force in the equation. This allows us to account for the effects of friction on the motion of the objects in the pulley system.

5. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, including those involving pulley systems. It is a powerful tool in the field of physics and engineering, and has applications in many different areas of science and technology.