How was the symmetry used here? ("QFT and the SM" by Schwartz)

• A
  • Thread starter Hill
  • Start date
Hill
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In this derivation of energy-momentum conservation, on what step the symmetry of space-time translation was used?
Here are steps.
Consider shift of field ##\phi## by a constant 4-vector ##\xi##:
(1) ##\phi(x) \rightarrow \phi(x+\xi)=\phi(x)+\xi^{\nu} \partial_{\nu} \phi(x) + ... ##
The infinitesimal transformation,
(2) ##\frac {\delta \phi} {\delta \xi^{\nu}} = \partial_{\nu} \phi##
and
(3) ##\frac {\delta \mathcal L} {\delta \xi^{\nu}} = \partial_{\nu} \mathcal L##
Using the E-L equations, the variation of Lagrangian is
(4) ##\frac {\delta \mathcal L[\phi, \partial_{\mu} \phi]} {\delta \xi^{\nu}}=\partial_{\mu} (\frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \frac {\delta \phi} {\delta \xi^{\nu}})##
Using (2) and (3),
(5) ##\partial_{\nu} \mathcal L =\partial_{\mu} (\frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \partial_{\nu} \phi)##
or equivalently
(6) ##\partial_{\mu} (\frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \partial_{\nu} \phi - g_{\mu \nu} \mathcal L) = 0##
The conclusion is,
"The four symmetries have produced four Noether currents, one for each ##\nu##:
##\mathcal T_{\mu \nu} = \frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \partial_{\nu} \phi - g_{\mu \nu} \mathcal L##
all of which are conserved: ##\partial_{\mu} \mathcal T_{\mu \nu}=0##."

My question: where in this derivation the assumption was used that the transformation is a symmetry?

Last edited:
Likes haushofer and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption of symmetry is hidden in the use of EL equation. If you did not use EL equation, that would mean that ##\phi(x)## is treated as a non-dynamical fixed background, the explicit ##x##-dependence of which would violate the symmetry. Indeed, the EL equation can be written as
$$\frac{\delta A}{\delta \phi(x)}=0$$
where ##A## is the action, which can be interpreted as a statement that you only consider such ##\phi(x)## for which the action does "not depend" on ##\phi(x)##. Since the dependence on ##x## arises only from dependence on ##\phi(x)##, this means that EL equation expresses also independence on ##x##, which is nothing but the symmetry.

Last edited:
Likes jbergman
Demystifier said:
The assumption of symmetry is hidden in the use of EL equation. If you did not use EL equation, that would mean that ##\phi(x)## is treated as a non-dynamical fixed background, the explicit ##x##-dependence of which would violate the symmetry. Indeed, the EL equation can be written as
$$\frac{\delta A}{\delta \phi(x)}=0$$
where ##A## is the action, which can be interpreted as a statement that you only consider such ##\phi(x)## for which the action does "not depend" on ##\phi(x)##. Since the dependence on ##x## arises only from dependence on ##\phi(x)##, this means that EL equation expresses also independence on ##x##, which is nothing but the symmetry.
Thank you.
I think also that the symmetry validates the equation (3), because this equation makes the variation of Lagrangian a total derivative, and this makes the variation of action vanish: $$\delta A = \int d^4 x \delta \mathcal L = \delta \xi^{\nu} \int d^4x \partial_{\nu} \mathcal L = 0$$ IOW, without the symmetry, we can't go from (4) to (5).

Likes jbergman
Hill said:
TL;DR Summary: In this derivation of energy-momentum conservation, on what step the symmetry of space-time translation was used?

Here are steps.
Consider shift of field ##\phi## by a constant 4-vector ##\xi##:
(1) ##\phi(x) \rightarrow \phi(x+\xi)=\phi(x)+\xi^{\nu} \partial_{\nu} \phi(x) + ... ##
The infinitesimal transformation,
(2) ##\frac {\delta \phi} {\delta \xi^{\nu}} = \partial_{\nu} \phi##
and
(3) ##\frac {\delta \mathcal L} {\delta \xi^{\nu}} = \partial_{\nu} \mathcal L##
Using the E-L equations, the variation of Lagrangian is
(4) ##\frac {\delta \mathcal L[\phi, \partial_{\mu} \phi]} {\delta \xi^{\nu}}=\partial_{\mu} (\frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \frac {\delta \phi} {\delta \xi^{\nu}})##
Using (2) and (3),
(5) ##\partial_{\nu} \mathcal L =\partial_{\mu} (\frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \partial_{\nu} \phi)##
or equivalently
(6) ##\partial_{\mu} (\frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \partial_{\nu} \phi - g_{\mu \nu} \mathcal L) = 0##
The conclusion is,
"The four symmetries have produced four Noether currents, one for each ##\nu##:
##\mathcal T_{\mu \nu} = \frac {\partial \mathcal L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \partial_{\nu} \phi - g_{\mu \nu} \mathcal L##
all of which are conserved: ##\partial_{\mu} \mathcal T_{\mu \nu}=0##."

My question: where in this derivation the assumption was used that the transformation is a symmetry?
I believe that the symmetry is used in step 3. Under the translation symmetry the Lagrangian change is a total derivative. I think this is essentially what @Demystifier is saying.

Incidentally, i wrote a long blog post on this derivation but omitted this question. Thanks for bringing it up.

Likes Hill
jbergman said:
I believe that the symmetry is used in step 3. Under the translation symmetry the Lagrangian change is a total derivative. I think this is essentially what @Demystifier is saying.

Incidentally, i wrote a long blog post on this derivation but omitted this question. Thanks for bringing it up.
Thank you. That was my understanding also, in the post #3.

jbergman said:

Step 3 is just saying the Lagrangian is a scalar (density) under translations, right?

I also find this stuff treacherous, and many textbooks completely miss these subtleties and make it look easy. My confusion for a long time was that these symmetries are derived "on shell", but then EL=0 for any variation of the field. And I know from experience that you can even confuse post docs working on string theory with this stuff.😋