Euler Representation of complex numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the Euler representation of complex numbers and the mathematical meaning of e^{i\pi}. The derivation of e^{i\theta} is also mentioned and a mistake in applying the absolute value is pointed out. The conversation also touches upon the concept of representing complex numbers in a complex plane and the numerical value of e^{i\theta}. The question of whether this value is a 'complex attribute' or a property intrinsic to real numbers is also raised.
Hijaz Aslam
I am bit confused with the Eueler representation of Complex Numbers.

For instance, we say that [tex]e^{i\pi}=cos(\pi)+isin(\pi)=-1+i0=-1[/tex].
The derivation of [tex]e^{i\theta}=cos(\theta)+isin(\theta)[/tex] is carried out using the Taylor series. I quite understand how ##e^{i\pi}## turns out to be ##-1## using taylor series. But what is the mathematical meaning of ##e^{i\pi}##? How can a constant (##e##) be raised to an 'entity' like ##i=\sqrt{-1}##?

This problem started to concern me when I tried the following out.
A theorem states that : [tex]|z_1+z_2|^2=|z_1|^2+|z_2|^2+2Re(z_1\bar{z_2})=|z_1|^2+|z_2|^2+2|z_1||z_2|cos(\theta_1-\theta_2)[/tex]

But I tried solving this out using the Euler number like: [tex]|z_1+z_2|^2=|(z_1+z_2)^2|=|(r_1e^{i\theta_1}+r_2e^{i\theta_2})^2|= |r_1e^{i\theta_1}|^2+|r_2e^{i\theta_2}|^2+|2r_1r_2e^{i(\theta_1+\theta_2)}|=r_1+r_2+2r_1r_2=|z_1|^2+|z_2|^2+2|z_1||z_2|[/tex]

I know that am seriously wrong somewhere. Can I follow out the "complex" algebra of 'complex numbers' by using Euler's form in simple algebra?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, I think I've made a 'grand' mistake by stating: [tex]|(r_1e^{i\theta_1}+r_2e^{i\theta_2})^2|= |r_1e^{i\theta_1}|^2+|r_2e^{i\theta_2}|^2+|2r_1r_2e^{i(\theta_1+\theta_2)}|[/tex].

Of course [tex]|(r_1e^{i\theta_1}+r_2e^{i\theta_2})^2|= (r_1e^{i\theta_1})^2+(r_2e^{i\theta_2})^2+2r_1r_2e^{i(\theta_1+\theta_2)}|\neq|r_1e^{i\theta_1}|^2+|r_2e^{i\theta_2}|^2+|2r_1r_2e^{i(\theta_1+\theta_2)}|[/tex].

So, how do I get along using the Euler Form?

Hijaz Aslam said:
Alright, I think I've made a 'grand' mistake by stating: [tex]|(r_1e^{i\theta_1}+r_2e^{i\theta_2})^2|= |r_1e^{i\theta_1}|^2+|r_2e^{i\theta_2}|^2+|2r_1r_2e^{i(\theta_1+\theta_2)}|[/tex].
Indeed, your mistake is on the first line. Remember that ##Re(z)=|z|\cos\theta##. Then we have
[tex]|r_1e^{i\theta_1}+r_2e^{i\theta_2}|^2=|r_1e^{i\theta_1}|^2+|r_2e^{i\theta_2}|^2+2r_1r_2\cos(\theta_1-\theta_2)[/tex]

suremarc said:
Indeed, your mistake is on the first line. Remember that ##Re(z)=|z|\cos\theta##. Then we have
[tex]|r_1e^{i\theta_1}+r_2e^{i\theta_2}|^2=|r_1e^{i\theta_1}|^2+|r_2e^{i\theta_2}|^2+2r_1r_2\cos(\theta_1-\theta_2)[/tex]

Now I want to know how that angle ##\theta_1-\theta_2## crept into the equation? Can you elaborate?

Hijaz Aslam said:
Now I want to know how that angle ##\theta_1-\theta_2## crept into the equation? Can you elaborate?
Sorry, I was hasty in answering. I'll backtrack a bit.

Your mistake is in misapplying the absolute value. Recall that ##|z|=\sqrt{z\bar{z}}##, so that ##|z|^2=z\bar{z}##. This turns ##|z+w|^2## into the product ##(z+w)(\bar{z}+\bar{w})##, which can be expanded by distributivity.

As for your earlier question--imagine that ##e^{it}## is the position of a point mass, where the real and imaginary axes replace the x- and y-axes, respectively. Then compare the tangent vector with the complex derivative. What do you see?

Oh yes! Thanks a lot suremac. I've missed out that point. So, I presume there isn't much to do by taking
[tex]|(r_1e^{i\theta_1}+r_2e^{i\theta_2})^2|=|(r_1e^{i\theta_1})^2+(r_2e^{i\theta_2})^2+2r_1r_2e^{i(\theta_1+\theta_2})|[/tex] rather than getting confused.

Am afraid that I don't understand the question you have posed. We represent a complex number in a complex plane by a vector whose magnitude is ##|z|##. I understand that ##e^{i\theta}## a sort of function defined by : [tex]f(x)=e^{i\theta}=cos\theta+isin\theta[/tex] and by plugging in the value ##\theta=\pi## yields an outcome of ##-1##, i.e ##f(\pi)=-1##. Just like we represent any other function.
But I am little confused with the "non-functional" value of ##e^{i\theta}## that is, the numerical value of ##2.17^{i\pi}## (like ##2^3=8##) etc. Am I confusing a property intrinsic to real numbers alone with a 'complex attribute'? I think I am indirectly questioning the 'concievable' numerical value of ##i##. Sorry if I am being irrational.

1. What is the Euler representation of complex numbers?

The Euler representation of complex numbers is a way of representing a complex number in the form of r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude or modulus of the complex number, and θ is the angle or argument of the complex number.

2. How is the Euler representation related to the rectangular representation of complex numbers?

The Euler representation and the rectangular representation of complex numbers are related by the following formula: e = cosθ + isinθ. This is known as Euler's formula and it shows that every complex number can be expressed as a combination of trigonometric functions.

3. What are the advantages of using the Euler representation of complex numbers?

One advantage of using the Euler representation is that it makes it easier to perform operations on complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Another advantage is that it can help simplify complex calculations and make them more intuitive.

4. How does the Euler representation help in understanding the behavior of complex numbers?

The Euler representation provides a geometric interpretation of complex numbers. The magnitude, r, represents the distance from the origin to the complex number on the complex plane, while the angle, θ, represents the direction or orientation of the complex number. This can help in understanding the behavior of complex numbers in mathematical operations and in real-world applications.

5. Can the Euler representation be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Euler representation can be extended to higher dimensions. In three-dimensional space, complex numbers can be represented using a combination of three trigonometric functions. In general, complex numbers can be represented in n-dimensional space using n trigonometric functions.