Evaluate Case of Fresnel Integral

In summary, Wolfram Mathworld has a different definition for the Fresnel C integral, and so the limit of the integral given in the question does not match the definition given there. However, by using the taylor series on the remaining 1/2+cos(2x^2) and using the half angle identity, we can prove the limit is 1/2.
Deanmark
Evaluate $\lim\limits_{{n}\to{\infty}} \int_{n}^{n+1} \cos^2(x^2) \,dx$
I've tried using the half angle identity and the taylor series on the remaining $1/2 + \cos(2x^2)$ to prove the value is $1/2$, but I am out of ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Deanmark said:
I've tried using the half angle identity and the taylor series on the remaining $1/2 + \cos(2x^2)$ to prove the value is $1/2$, but I am out of ideas.

Hi Deanmark! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

Can't we use that $C(x)= \int_0^x \cos(t^2)dt \to \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{8}} $ when $x\to \infty$?
See wiki.So $\int_{n}^{n+1} \cos(x^2)dx = C(n+1)-C(n) \to \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{8}} - \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{8}} = 0$ when $n\to \infty$.

According to the wiki article, we can prove it with a contour integral of the function $e^{-t^2}$.

It seems Wolfram Alpha uses a different version of the Fresnel C integral. The limit, as given there, is $\frac12$.

greg1313 said:
It seems Wolfram Alpha uses a different version of the Fresnel C integral. The limit, as given there, is $\frac12$.

Indeed, Wiki and Wolfram Mathworld list slightly different definitions.
To be fair, that's not uncommon with such special integral functions. We see the same thing with for instance Fourier transforms, where different sources specify different normalization constants.

Either way, the way I mentioned C(x) above, effectively includes which definition I'm using, eliminating the ambiguity.

greg1313 said:
The $\frac12$ comes from the fact that you want the integral of $\cos^2(x^2)$. As mentioned in the OP, $\cos^2(x^2) = \frac12(1 + \cos(2x^2))$. The integral of the constant $\frac12$ from $n$ to $n+1$ gives the $\frac12$ in the answer.

The question is, how can we prove $\lim_{{n}\to{n+1}}\int_{n}^{n+1}cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx = 0$? The best I have been able to come up with is the fact that $\lim_{{n}\to{n+1}}\ \int_{0}^{n+1}cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx - \int_{0}^{n}cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx$ = $\int_{n}^{n+1}cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx$ and each function is periodic and even so there must be cancelation, but it feels like I am making leaps.

Opalg said:
The $\frac12$ comes from the fact that you want the integral of $\cos^2(x^2)$. As mentioned in the OP, $\cos^2(x^2) = \frac12(1 + \cos(2x^2))$. The integral of the constant $\frac12$ from $n$ to $n+1$ gives the $\frac12$ in the answer.

That's a different constant of $\frac 12$.
This one comes from Wolfram Mathworld that defines $C(u)=\int_0^u \cos\frac 12\pi x^2\, dx$ which approaches to the normalized $\frac 12$ instead of $\sqrt{\frac \pi 8}$.

The other $\frac 12$ comes indeed from the $\cos^2$ in the problem statement.

Deanmark said:
The question is, how can we prove $\lim_{{n}\to{n+1}}\int_{n}^{n+1}cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx = 0$? The best I have been able to come up with is the fact that $\lim_{{n}\to{n+1}}\ \int_{0}^{n+1}cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx - \int_{0}^{n}cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx$ = $\int_{n}^{n+1}cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx$ and each function is periodic and even so there must be cancelation, but it feels like I am making leaps.
How about:
\begin{aligned}
\lim_{{n}\to\infty} \int_{n}^{n+1}\cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx
&= \lim_{{n}\to\infty} \int_{0}^{n+1}\cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx - \int_{0}^{n}\cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx \\
&= \lim_{{n}\to\infty} \tilde C(n+1) - \tilde C(n) \\
&= D - D \\
&= 0
\end{aligned}
where $\tilde C$(n) is the variant of the Fresnel C function we have, since we have a couple of extra constants in there, and where $D$ is whatever it converges to at infinity.

I like Serena said:
That's a different constant of $\frac 12$.
This one comes from Wolfram Mathworld that defines $C(u)=\int_0^u \cos^2\frac 12\pi x^2\, dx$ which approaches to the normalized $\frac 12$ instead of $\sqrt{\frac \pi 8}$.

The other $\frac 12$ comes indeed from the $\cos^2$ in the problem statement.How about:
\begin{aligned}
\lim_{{n}\to\infty} \int_{n}^{n+1}\cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx
&= \lim_{{n}\to\infty} \int_{0}^{n+1}\cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx - \int_{0}^{n}\cos(2x^2)/2 \,dx \\
&= \lim_{{n}\to\infty} \tilde C(n+1) - \tilde C(n) \\
&= D - D \\
&= 0
\end{aligned}
where $\tilde C$(n) is the variant of the Fresnel C function we have, since we have a couple of extra constants in there, and where $D$ is whatever it converges to at infinity.
I think that is the best way to go. If we (I) can show it converges to the same constant, then the problem is done.

Deanmark said:
I think that is the best way to go. If we (I) can show it converges to the same constant, then the problem is done.

What we need is that $\tilde C(n)$ converges, and the Fresnel C integral $C(n)$ does.
If it does, both $\tilde C(n+1)$ and $\tilde C(n)$ converge to the same constant. (Nerd)

Hmm...

W|A

Deanmark said:

Using the u-substitution $u = x^2$, write the integral as $\displaystyle \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{\cos^2 u}{2\sqrt{u}}\, du$. By the trig identity $\cos^2 u = \dfrac{1 + \cos 2u}{2}$, $$\int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{\cos^2 u}{2\sqrt{u}}\, du = \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{1 + \cos 2u}{4\sqrt{u}}\, du$$ Now $\displaystyle \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{1}{4\sqrt{u}}\, du = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{(n+1)^2} - \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{n^2} = \frac{1}{2}$ and $$\int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{\cos 2u}{4\sqrt{u}}\, du = \frac{\sin 2u}{8\sqrt{u}}\bigg|_{u\, =\, n^2}^{(n+1)^2} + \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2}\frac{\sin 2u}{16u^{3/2}}\, du\tag{*}\label{eq1}$$ by integration by parts. Since $\lvert \sin 2u\rvert \le 1$, it follows that the right-hand side of \eqref{eq1} is bounded by $\dfrac{C}{n}$ where $C$ is some constant. Thus $\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{\cos 2u}{4\sqrt{u}}\, du = 0$; consequently $\displaystyle \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{1 + \cos 2u}{4\sqrt{u}}\, du \to \frac{1}{2}$ as $n\to \infty$, i.e., $\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty}\int_{n}^{n+1} \cos^2(x^2)\, dx = \frac{1}{2}$.

Hi Euge

Euge said:
Using the u-substitution $u = x^2$, write the integral as $\displaystyle \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{\cos^2 u}{2\sqrt{u}}\, du$. By the trig identity $\cos^2 u = \dfrac{1 + \cos 2u}{2}$, $$\int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{\cos^2 u}{2\sqrt{u}}\, du = \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{1 + \cos 2u}{4\sqrt{u}}\, du$$

This much I understand.

Euge said:
Now $\displaystyle \int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{1}{4\sqrt{u}}\, du= \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{(n+1)^2} - \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{n^2} = \frac{1}{2}$

I don't understand how the result of $\frac12$ is achieved. Can you clarify, please?

greg1313 said:
I don't understand how the result of $\frac12$ is achieved. Can you clarify, please?

An antiderivative for $\dfrac{1}{4\sqrt{u}}$ is $\dfrac{1}{2}\sqrt{u}$, so $$\int_{n^2}^{(n+1)^2} \frac{du}{4\sqrt{u}}\, du = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{u}\bigg|_{u\, =\, n^2}^{(n+1)^2} = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{(n+1)^2} - \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{n^2} = \frac{1}{2}(n+1) - \frac{1}{2}n = \frac{1}{2}$$

Ooops. :eek: Thanks!

What is the Fresnel Integral?

The Fresnel Integral is a mathematical function that is used to describe the diffraction of light as it passes through a small aperture. It was first introduced by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the early 19th century.

Why is the Fresnel Integral important?

The Fresnel Integral is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict the diffraction patterns of light passing through small apertures. This has applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications.

How is the Fresnel Integral calculated?

The Fresnel Integral is calculated using a complex mathematical formula that involves the integration of a sine or cosine function over a certain range. It can be solved using numerical methods or approximated using simpler functions.

What are the limitations of the Fresnel Integral?

One limitation of the Fresnel Integral is that it assumes the light passing through the aperture is monochromatic, meaning it has a single wavelength. In reality, light is composed of a range of wavelengths, which can affect the diffraction pattern. Additionally, the Fresnel Integral is only accurate for small apertures and low diffraction angles.

How is the Fresnel Integral used in practical applications?

The Fresnel Integral is used in a variety of practical applications, including designing optical systems, analyzing diffraction patterns in telescopes, and calculating radio wave propagation in telecommunications. It is also used in the field of Fourier optics, which studies the behavior of light as it passes through different optical components.