Evaluating the quark neutrino mixing matrix

In summary, the mixing of the 3 generations of fermions is tabulated into the CKM matrix for quarks and neutrinos. The mixing statistics for neutrinos are also tabulated.
James1238765
TL;DR Summary
How to resolve the complex trigonometric exponential ##\exp{i\sigma{cp}}## in the CKM and PMNS matrix parameters?
The mixing of the 3 generations of fermions are tabulated into the CKM matrix for quarks:

$$ \begin{bmatrix}
c_{12}c_{13} & s_{12}c_{13} & s_{13}e^{-i\sigma_{13}} \\
-s_{12}c_{23}-c_{12}s_{23}s_{13}e^{i\sigma_{12}} & c_{12}c_{23}-s_{12}s_{23}s_{13}e^{i\sigma_{13}} & s_{23}c_{13} \\
s_{12}s_{23}-c_{12}c_{23}s_{13}e^{i\sigma_{13}} & -c_{12}s_{23}-s_{12}c_{23}s_{13}e^{i\sigma_{13}} & c_{23}c_{13}
\end{bmatrix} $$

where c12 is shorthand for the ##cos(\sigma_{12})## function, and s is shorthand for the ##sin(\sigma_{12})## function, and with experimentally fitted values as follows:

$$ \begin{bmatrix}
0.97370 & 0.2245 & 0.00382 \\
0.221 & 0.987 & 0.041 \\
0.008 & 0.0388 & 1.013
\end{bmatrix} $$

Similarly the PMNS matrix tabulates the mixing statistics for neutrinos:

$$ \begin{bmatrix}
c_{12}c_{13} & s_{12}c_{13} & s_{13}e^{-i\sigma_{cp}} \\
-s_{12}c_{23}-c_{12}s_{23}s_{13}e^{i\sigma_{cp}} & c_{12}c_{23}-s_{12}s_{23}s_{13}e^{i\sigma_{cp}} & s_{23}c_{13} \\
s_{12}s_{23}-c_{12}c_{23}s_{13}e^{i\sigma_{cp}} & -c_{12}s_{23}-s_{12}c_{23}s_{13}e^{i\sigma_{cp}} & c_{23}c_{13}
\end{bmatrix} $$

with experimentally fitted values as follows:

$$ \begin{bmatrix}
0.801 & 0.513 & 0.143 \\
0.232 & 0.459 & 0.629 \\
0.260 & 0.470 & 0.609
\end{bmatrix} $$

Could anyone explain how the complex trigonometric ##e^{i\sigma_{13}}## and ##e^{i\sigma_{cp}}## having the form

$$e^{i\sigma_{13}} = \cos \sigma_{13} + i \sin \sigma_{13} $$

can morph into real values in the final numerical matrices, please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
@vanhees71 thank you. Very oddly the ##e^{-i\sigma_{13}}## has no constant fixed value throughout.

##\sigma_{13}## is a fixed numerical angle at 68.8 degrees, but even if we set ##e^{-i\sigma_{13}}## to a particular value to correctly match a particular matrix element, the other matrix elements having ##e^{-i\sigma_{13}}## term will still output wrong answers.

So ##e^{-i\sigma_{13}}## changes for every matrix element calculation. It seems never defined what ##e^{-i\sigma_{13}}## means in the above paper, and other papers like [this] , so I guess I will just leave it there for now.

Neutrino flavor oscillations are clock-like precise as a function of distance. For two-neutrinos oscillation:

$$Prob_{switch} = \sin^2{(2\theta})\sin^2{(\frac{\triangle m^2L}{4E})}$$

which is sinusoidal with respect to distance traveled L.

320px-Oscillations_muon_short.svg.png

(source: wiki)

1. What is the quark neutrino mixing matrix?

The quark neutrino mixing matrix is a mathematical representation of the relationship between quarks (fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons) and neutrinos (fundamental particles that have very little mass and interact weakly with other particles). It describes how the different types of quarks and neutrinos can transform into one another.

2. Why is it important to evaluate the quark neutrino mixing matrix?

Evaluating the quark neutrino mixing matrix allows us to better understand the fundamental interactions between particles and the nature of the universe. It also helps us to make predictions about particle behavior and to test the validity of current theories in particle physics.

3. How is the quark neutrino mixing matrix evaluated?

The quark neutrino mixing matrix is evaluated through experiments and observations of particle interactions. Scientists use data from high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to study the behavior of particles and determine the parameters of the mixing matrix.

4. What are the implications of a non-zero quark neutrino mixing matrix?

A non-zero quark neutrino mixing matrix would indicate that there is a mixing or transformation between different types of quarks and neutrinos. This could have significant implications for our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics and the nature of matter.

5. How does the quark neutrino mixing matrix relate to the Higgs mechanism?

The Higgs mechanism is a theoretical concept that explains how particles acquire mass. The quark neutrino mixing matrix is related to the Higgs mechanism because it helps to determine the masses of particles and their interactions, which are affected by the Higgs field. The two concepts work together to provide a more complete understanding of particle behavior.