Event at Aplao, Peru Feb 2nd 2004

• Thread starter Goldfinger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a general paper being written about an event that occurred in Peru in 2004. The link provided leads to information about the event in Spanish. The speaker has no knowledge of astrophysics and asks a question about the mass of the meteorite that caused an explosion with a 3.8 reading on the Richter scale. The responder explains that the exact answer is not possible to determine without more information, but in general, the larger the mass of the meteorite, the greater its potential to produce a high Richter scale reading.
Goldfinger
Hi Everyone:

I'm writing a general paper on an event that happened near Aplao,Peru on Feb 2nd,2004.

Here's the link:http://geocities.com/astroycpa/meteoritoaqp2feb2004.html

It's in Spanish and can be translated using Babelfish or Google text translations.

I have no knowledge of astrophysics whatsoever and would like to ask a few questions. I know there's going to be a lot of variables but I was just hoping some some general responses.

Assuming a density of 3.3 grams per cubic centimeter, how large would the mass have been to create an explosion that produced a 3.8 reading on the Richter scale?

I have other questions but I'll just start with this one first.

Thanks

Steve

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The exact answer to your question is not possible to provide without a lot more information. Generally, the larger the mass of the meteorite, the greater the energy released when it explodes in the atmosphere. The energy released is related to the size of the Richter scale reading, but it cannot be determined exactly without more data. In general, the larger the mass of the meteorite, the greater its potential to produce a large Richter scale reading.

Related to Event at Aplao, Peru Feb 2nd 2004

What happened at the Event at Aplao, Peru on Feb 2nd 2004?

The Event at Aplao, Peru on Feb 2nd 2004 was a magnitude 6.3 earthquake that struck the southern region of Peru. It caused significant damage and casualties in the cities of Aplao and Chivay.

What were the effects of the earthquake at Aplao, Peru on Feb 2nd 2004?

The earthquake resulted in at least 74 deaths, over 1,000 injuries, and thousands of people displaced from their homes. It also caused significant damage to buildings and infrastructure, including roads and bridges.

Was there any warning for the Event at Aplao, Peru on Feb 2nd 2004?

No, there was no warning for the earthquake. It occurred suddenly and without any precursors or foreshocks.

What was the cause of the earthquake at Aplao, Peru on Feb 2nd 2004?

The earthquake was caused by the Nazca and South American tectonic plates converging, resulting in a thrust fault movement. This region is known for its high seismic activity due to the subduction of the Nazca plate beneath the South American plate.

How did the earthquake at Aplao, Peru on Feb 2nd 2004 impact the surrounding area?

The earthquake caused widespread damage and disruption in the surrounding area, including power outages, landslides, and communication disruptions. The affected cities also experienced economic and social impacts as they worked to recover and rebuild after the disaster.