Event Horizon movie, with some interesting concepts (papers cited)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of there being solid physics behind a certain movie clip, which involves concepts such as faster than light travel, dimensional gateways, and the folding of spacetime. The conversation also references some good papers on arxiv about related concepts, including the Casimir energy and its relation to wormholes. However, the other person in the conversation explains that the movie is not meant to be about physics, and the thread is closed.
jaketodd
Gold Member
Please hear me out; I've referenced some good papers below, and I think you'll find the movie clip intriguing.

Is there anything solid to this movie? The faster than light travel. The dimensional gateway. The folding of spacetime, passing through the hole, and then the return of spacetime to normal.

I don't want to be faulted for speculation - I'm just curious. I'm not putting this in the Sci-fi section, because I've heard that there might be solid physics behind it.

And there are some good papers on arxiv about related concepts...

In this paper (https://arxiv.org/abs/2303.04641), the Casimir energy is described in relation to wormholes. But I don't understand how it would lead to the formation of a wormhole. My understanding of Casimir is that the vacuum energy (as very briefly mentioned in this paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2306.05010), can exert a force, pushing together two objects, which are close enough together to not have much energy between them, but enough energy outside of the pair, in order to create a pressure difference, and push them together.

And from a less reputable source, but seems to break it down pretty well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

Thanks,

Jake

• Haha
  • Sad
Likes malawi_glenn and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
jaketodd said:
Is there anything solid to this movie?
No. The sciency-sounding black hole stuff is like the wardrobe in the book “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe”, there because the author needed some magic to set up the story. You wouldn’t expect to learn anything about wardrobe design from Lewis’s classic, and you shouldn’t expect to learn anything about event horizons from this movie.

It’s a fine movie, but it’s not about physics so it’s off-topic here and this thread is closed.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark, PeterDonis and PeroK

1. What is the concept of an "event horizon" in the movie?

The concept of an "event horizon" in the movie refers to the point of no return for a black hole, where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape. This is a real concept in astrophysics, first described by physicist Karl Schwarzschild in 1916. The movie takes this concept and applies it to a spaceship, where the crew must navigate through the event horizon to return to Earth.

2. How does the movie portray the effects of time dilation near the event horizon?

The movie accurately portrays the effects of time dilation near the event horizon, where time appears to slow down for objects approaching the black hole. This is due to the extreme gravitational force near the event horizon, as described by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. As the spaceship gets closer to the event horizon, time on board appears to slow down compared to time on Earth.

3. What is the significance of the "gravity drive" in the movie?

The "gravity drive" in the movie is a fictional device that allows the spaceship to create an artificial black hole and travel through it to reach distant points in space. This concept is based on the theory of wormholes, which are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. While the concept of a "gravity drive" is not currently possible with our current understanding of physics, it is a popular concept in science fiction.

4. How does the movie explore the concept of parallel universes?

The movie briefly touches on the concept of parallel universes, where there are multiple versions of reality existing simultaneously. This idea is based on the theory of the multiverse, which suggests that our universe is just one of many parallel universes that exist. While the movie does not delve deeply into this concept, it does raise interesting questions about the nature of reality and the possibility of multiple universes.

5. What are some of the scientific inaccuracies in the movie?

While the movie does a good job of incorporating real scientific concepts, there are some inaccuracies. For example, the spaceship's gravity drive would not actually create a black hole, but rather a singularity. Additionally, the idea of traveling through a black hole is currently not possible according to our current understanding of physics. The movie also takes some creative liberties with the effects of gravity and time dilation near the event horizon. However, these inaccuracies can be forgiven in the name of entertainment and storytelling.