Ever wondered who the first person to do some trivial thing was?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various trivial "firsts" in history such as the first person to wear pajamas, high heeled shoes, and drink beer. It also mentions personal connections to being first in certain areas or inventions, and speculates on the origins and reasons for these firsts. There is also a mention of the evolution of high heel shoes from being worn by men for practical purposes to becoming a fashion statement.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Ever wondered who the first person to do some trivial thing was? like who was the first person to wear pajamas or the first person to wear high heeled shoes, or the first person to wear a top hat, and why.
And were you or your ancestors first in any thing in your area, AFAIK my dad was the first to have ITV in our village, he made a two valve converter and erected an antenna on a pole 6 foot above the house roof to get good reception.
My grand dad was the first in the village to offer a battery recharge and rebuild service, nothing to special but the first any way.

Physics news on Phys.org

All the time.

Who was the first person to purposely cut their hair? Do a hand stand? Play catch? Eat an Apple? Ride a horse? Manipulate fire? See a kangaroo? Etc.. ad nauseum.

Totally trivial, but fascinating none the less.

First to send a motorbike across the ocean as a token of PF friendship -Wolly.

What is this about motorcycles and friendship? I want, ha ha.

Who was the first person to drink beer?

and since you know it probably didn't taste so good,

Who was first to drink beer a second time?

It is my understanding the my Great-Great grandfather was Salt Lake City's first death due to a car -pedestrian accident.

wolram said:
Ever wondered who the first person to do some trivial thing was? like who was the first person to wear pajamas or the first person to wear high heeled shoes, or the first person to wear a top hat, and why.
I hadn't given it any thought. No one has asked me that question before.

My girlfriend's grandfather invented the fork. Then again, he was also friends with Gandhi.

When I'm up in the mountains I often stop and wonder if I'm the very first person ever to stand in this exact spot.l

The first high heel wearers, were male.:cool:

The first beer-drinker may have been a Sumarian, though it's likely that the Sumarians learned brewing from someone earlier.

hypatia said:

They were probably the first to wear shoes too.

For high heel shoes, I'd speculate that not only was it a male, but more likely a short male trying to enhance his stature.

hypatia said:

, dare i ask, heck i hope they were not the first to wear mini skirts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_heels

Horse back riders were first, which makes sense, but...

Beginning with the French, heel heights among men crept up, often becoming higher and thinner, until they were no longer useful while riding, but were relegated to "court-only" wear. By the late 1600s men's heels were commonly between three and four inches in height.

1. Who was the first person to invent the lightbulb?

The first person credited with inventing the lightbulb is Thomas Edison. However, there were other inventors who created similar devices before him, such as Humphry Davy and Joseph Swan.

2. Who was the first person to set foot on the moon?

The first person to set foot on the moon was Neil Armstrong, on July 20, 1969, as part of the Apollo 11 mission.

3. Who was the first person to discover gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering gravity in the late 1600s. However, the concept of gravity has been observed and studied by many ancient civilizations, including the Greeks and Egyptians.

4. Who was the first person to climb Mount Everest?

The first successful climb of Mount Everest was completed by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay on May 29, 1953.

5. Who was the first person to invent the telephone?

Alexander Graham Bell is credited with inventing the telephone in 1876. However, there were other inventors who created similar devices around the same time, such as Elisha Gray and Antonio Meucci.