Examining the Validity of Planck Distance: A Geneticist's Perspective

In summary, the Planck distance has not yet been proven to have a real physical existence, and any attempts to prove it may result in a waste of time. While there are theories that use it as a lower limit cut-off for distance, there is no concrete evidence to suggest that it holds any real meaning. However, further experimentation and discussion on the topic is encouraged, as it may lead to new discoveries and insights.
Xira
Has the Planck distance been proven to exist and be real? I thought up a way to mabey prove it. Just don't want to beat a dead horse and spend 2 weeks of my vacation working on something that's been done.

-Disclaimer. I am not onto something here. I am a geneticist, not a quantum physicist, on vacation. There was some sleep-dep and a lot of coffee and some computer gameing involved in me thinking this up. Don't get your hopes up:P

Physics news on Phys.org
Xira said:
Has the Planck distance been proven to exist and be real? I thought up a way to maybe prove it.

NO.

Just don't want to beat a dead horse and spend 2 weeks of my vacation working on something that's been done.
You would still be killing a dead horse.

Theres nothing to prove really, its an order of magnitude quantity based on purely classical dimensional analysis in 'god given' units where c=G=hbar=1, eg the spot where gravity and everything else start to be comparable in magnitude. Various theories of quantum gravity can move that around somewhat based on more serious calculations.

All it is really is a regime, not a precise number, where we expect quantum mechanics to start to be important for a proper theory of gravity.

Xira said:
Has the Planck distance been proven to exist and be real? I thought up a way to mabey prove it. Just don't want to beat a dead horse and spend 2 weeks of my vacation working on something that's been done.

-Disclaimer. I am not onto something here. I am a geneticist, not a quantum physicist, on vacation. There was some sleep-dep and a lot of coffee and some computer gameing involved in me thinking this up. Don't get your hopes up:P

The only way to prove the Planck distance exists would be to measure it somehow. I don't think the experimentalists are up to measuring something that small yet. As far as theory is concerned, I know the string theorists, at least, use it as a lower limit cut-off for distance. This helps them avoid certain infinities in their calculations. However, there is no real reason I know of to suspect that the Planck distance (mass or time) even mean anything real. At this point it's just numbers games.

-Dan

Xira said:

I cannot realisticially offer you any encouragement since you run the risk of wasting your time on this project, but the direct answer to your question is NO
the Planck length has NOT yet been proven to have a real physical existence

so if you spent 2 weeks writing up your idea or doing experiments, then you might fail but at least you would NOT be duplicating already existing scientific results

You might fail to produce anything that you could publish in a scientific journal---and your attempt might be misguided---but I do not think that is necessarily a reason not to spend the time. If you spend 2 weeks thinking about the Planck length and trying to devise some theory or experiment to show that it is built into nature, then you would at least LEARN SOMETHING.

If you have ideas of how to experimentally detect some new behavior at the Planck scale that would show that this scale has a real physical meaning, you are welcome to post them at this thread and tell us about them.

then people will hopefully criticize you and try to find mistakes. this is often very helpful.. if you are a geneticist, then you know that having a critical audience to explain things to helps to get ideas in order

I know of one experiment that has been planned to test for a kind of Planck-scale behavior. But it has not yet been done. The experiment will be done at the earliest in 2007. If the Bush administration cuts the science budget too much then the space mission planned for 2007 that could test this will not be done even then

marcus said:
I cannot realisticially offer you any encouragement since you run the risk of wasting your time on this project, but the direct answer to your question is NO
the Planck length has NOT yet been proven to have a real physical existence

so if you spent 2 weeks writing up your idea or doing experiments, then you might fail but at least you would NOT be duplicating already existing scientific results

You might fail to produce anything that you could publish in a scientific journal---and your attempt might be misguided---but I do not think that is necessarily a reason not to spend the time. If you spend 2 weeks thinking about the Planck length and trying to devise some theory or experiment to show that it is built into nature, then you would at least LEARN SOMETHING.

If you have ideas of how to experimentally detect some new behavior at the Planck scale that would show that this scale has a real physical meaning, you are welcome to post them at this thread and tell us about them.

then people will hopefully criticize you and try to find mistakes. this is often very helpful.. if you are a geneticist, then you know that having a critical audience to explain things to helps to get ideas in order

I know of one experiment that has been planned to test for a kind of Planck-scale behavior. But it has not yet been done. The experiment will be done at the earliest in 2007. If the Bush administration cuts the science budget too much then the space mission planned for 2007 that could test this will not be done even then

Ok yes:) Thank you this is what I was looking for:)

Yes, I fully agree I am a bit off the normal rocker, and probably will just be wateing my time, but mabey I'll enjoy myself and learn something interesting:)

Thanks, i'll bring it back to you after I do some math and ask a few people I know IRL weather I added 2 + 2 and got 5:)

(edit: This was a rectifying response to a post which had a totally wrong
value for Planck's length plus a reference to a **** site, :^) Hans)

Planck's length is 1.61624 10-35 meter.

Some background is here:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/planck/node2.htmlRegards, Hans

Planck mass _________ 2.17645(16) 10-8 kg
Planck temperature ___ 1.41679(11) 1032 K
Planck length_________ 1.61624(12) 10-35 m
Planck time __________ 5.39121(40) 10-44 s

Last edited:

Related to Examining the Validity of Planck Distance: A Geneticist's Perspective

1. What is Planck Distance and why is it important?

Planck Distance is a unit of length that is derived from the fundamental constants of nature, such as the speed of light, the gravitational constant, and Planck's constant. It is considered the smallest measurable length in the universe and is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics at a very small scale, such as quantum mechanics.

2. How is Planck Distance related to genetics?

Planck Distance is not directly related to genetics, as it is a concept in physics. However, it can indirectly impact genetics by influencing the behavior of subatomic particles, which are essential for the functioning of cells and the passing on of genetic information.

3. How is the validity of Planck Distance examined?

The validity of Planck Distance is examined through various experiments and theoretical calculations. Scientists use high-energy particle accelerators and other advanced technologies to study the behavior of particles at extremely small scales and see if the results align with the predictions of Planck Distance. Theoretical models and equations are also used to test the validity of this concept.

4. What are some potential implications of Planck Distance for genetics?

The implications of Planck Distance for genetics are still being studied and are not fully understood. However, it is believed that understanding the fundamental laws and constants of the universe, such as Planck Distance, can provide insights into the behavior of particles and their impact on genetic processes. It may also help us understand the origins of life and how different organisms have evolved over time.

5. How does Planck Distance impact our understanding of the universe?

Planck Distance is a crucial concept in physics that helps us understand the fundamental laws of the universe, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. By studying Planck Distance, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the workings of the universe and how it came to be. It also helps in developing theories and models that can explain the behavior of particles and the evolution of the universe.