How Does Projectile Angle Affect Range in Physics Calculations?

• Thread starter CrankFan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the example problem in section 13.4 of Stewart's Calculus: Early Transcendentals deals with finding the position function of a projectile fired with an angle of elevation and initial velocity, where air resistance is negligible and the only external force is due to gravity. The solution involves setting up axes, using the force of gravity and its acceleration, integrating to find the velocity and position functions, and finally representing the initial velocity vector in terms of initial angle and speed using trigonometry.
CrankFan
In section 13.4 of Stewart's Calculus: Early Transcendentals, an example problem is worked out. I always seem to have problems grasping the physics stuff. In the example below I'll point out the spot where I can no longer follow.

(LaTeX codes don't seem to be working for me at the moment so I'll do this in ascii and revise with LaTeX when/if possible.)

A projectile is fired with an angle of elevation alpha and initial velocity v_0. Assuming that the air resistance is negligible and the only external force is due to gravity, find the possition function r(t) of the projectile. What value of alpha maximizes the range?

Solution: We set up the axes so that the projectile starts at the origin. Since the force due to gravity acts downward , we have

F = ma = -mgj

Where g = |a| ~= 9.8 m/s^2. Thus

a = -gj

Since v'(t) = a, we have

v(t) = -gtj + C

Where C = v(0) = v_0. Therefore

r'(t) = v(t) = -gtj + v_0

Integrating again, we obtain

r(t) = -1/2 gt^2 j + tv_0 + D

But D = r(0) = 0, so the position vector of the projectile is given by

[3] r(t) = -1/2 gt^2j + tv_0

***** I follow everything up to here fine, but the next step is where I get lost. *****

If we write |v_0| = v_0 (the initial speed of the projectile), then

v_0 = v_0 cos(alpha)i + v_0 sin(alpha)j

Physics news on Phys.org
CrankFan said:
In section 13.4 of Stewart's Calculus: Early Transcendentals, an example problem is worked out. I always seem to have problems grasping the physics stuff. In the example below I'll point out the spot where I can no longer follow.

(LaTeX codes don't seem to be working for me at the moment so I'll do this in ascii and revise with LaTeX when/if possible.)

A projectile is fired with an angle of elevation alpha and initial velocity v_0. Assuming that the air resistance is negligible and the only external force is due to gravity, find the possition function r(t) of the projectile. What value of alpha maximizes the range?

Solution: We set up the axes so that the projectile starts at the origin. Since the force due to gravity acts downward , we have

F = ma = -mgj

Where g = |a| ~= 9.8 m/s^2. Thus

a = -gj

Since v'(t) = a, we have

v(t) = -gtj + C

Where C = v(0) = v_0. Therefore

r'(t) = v(t) = -gtj + v_0

Integrating again, we obtain

r(t) = -1/2 gt^2 j + tv_0 + D

But D = r(0) = 0, so the position vector of the projectile is given by

[3] r(t) = -1/2 gt^2j + tv_0

***** I follow everything up to here fine, but the next step is where I get lost. *****

If we write |v_0| = v_0 (the initial speed of the projectile), then

v_0 = v_0 cos(alpha)i + v_0 sin(alpha)j
It is just the process of taking a speed and representing it as a velocity, provided there is enough information. The magnitude of the velocity (speed) times the cosine of the angle will give you the speed in the x direction while multiplying it by the sine will give you the speed in the y direction. Writing these in vector form, you now have a velocity vector.

Alex

Ok, I think I get it. v_0 / |v_0| is the unit tangent vector and when the object has traveled one unit we know that x = cos(alpha) and y = sin(alpha), so

v_0 / |v_0| = cos(alpha)i + sin(alpha)j

and

v_0 = |v_0| cos(alpha)i + |v_0| sin(alpha)j

and in general we can represent the initial velocity vector in terms of initial angle and initial speed, as above.

Thanks, I'm slow to absorb this stuff.

Last edited:
Or just think of it as trigonometry: represent the initial velocity vector as a line of length v_0 at angle alpha to the x-axis. Drawing in the x and y components, you have a right triangle with hypotenuse v_0 and angle alpha. sin(alpha)= "opposite side over hypotenuse"= v_y/v_0 so v_y= v_0 sin(alpha)
cos(alpha)= "near side over hypotenuse"= v_x/v_0 so v_x= v_0 cos(alpha).

Related to How Does Projectile Angle Affect Range in Physics Calculations?

1. What is the significance of "Example from 13.4, Stewart" in scientific research?

The example from 13.4, Stewart is a reference to a specific example or case study found in section 13.4 of a scientific textbook written by author Stewart. It may be used as a reference or source of information in research or experiments.

2. Is the example from 13.4, Stewart a reliable source of information?

The reliability of the example from 13.4, Stewart depends on the credibility and reputation of the author, Stewart. It is important to evaluate the source of information and consider other sources before drawing conclusions in scientific research.

3. Can the example from 13.4, Stewart be replicated in experiments?

It is possible to replicate the example from 13.4, Stewart in experiments, but it may require specific equipment, materials, and methods as described in the original source. Replication is important in scientific research to validate findings and ensure accuracy.

4. How can the example from 13.4, Stewart be applied in real-world situations?

The example from 13.4, Stewart may provide insight or understanding into a specific scientific concept or phenomenon. This can be applied in real-world situations by using the knowledge gained from the example to develop solutions or make informed decisions.

5. Is the example from 13.4, Stewart relevant to current scientific research?

The relevance of the example from 13.4, Stewart to current scientific research depends on the subject matter and the date of publication. Newer sources may provide more up-to-date information, but older sources can still be relevant if the information is still accurate and applicable.