Example from Bland - Right Artinian but not Left Artinian ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, Bland's book Rings and Their Modules provides an in-depth look at the theory and structure of matrix rings. Example 6 on page 109 is a difficult example to understand, and Bland provides hints to help readers understand the example.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 4.2: Noetherian and Artinian Modules and need some help to fully understand Example 6 on page 109 ... ...

Example 6 reads as follows:View attachment 6122In the above example Bland asserts that the matrix ring \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{Q} & \mathbb{R} \\ 0 & \mathbb{R} \end{pmatrix}
\)

is right Artinian but not left Artinian ...Can someone please help me to prove this assertion ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

This is an interesting question

Peter said:
In the above example Bland asserts that the matrix ring \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} \mathbb{Q} & \mathbb{R} \\ 0 & \mathbb{R} \end{pmatrix}
\)

is right Artinian but not left Artinian ...Can someone please help me to prove this assertion ...

Peter

in that the rich structure of each entry being a field is simultaneously helpful and problematic. Ultimately solving this problem (at least using the approach I found) relies on using the extra structure to your advantage when you need it and finding a way to temper it when you don't. Perhaps the best fact to know is, as I mentioned in your other recent post from Bland, that every nonzero element of a field is a unit (and so every field is Artinian). I played with this example for a bit, so that's the best I can do in terms of giving the intuition since it only became clear from the other side of the looking glass.

The following is an effort to provide a hint or two without simply giving you the answers:

For the right Artinian case try looking at what the multiplication of any right ideal

\(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} A & B \\ 0 & D \end{pmatrix}
\)

($A\subseteq\mathbb{Q},\, B,D\subseteq\mathbb{R}$) by an element of the ring would look like combined with the fact that every nonzero element of a field is a unit and see what you can deduce.

For the non-left-Artinian case since each entry is a field, we need to "de"-field something at some point if there is to be any hope of finding an example of a nonterminating decreasing chain of ideals in $R$. One place to start looking is to things of the form $\mathbb{Q}+\mathbb{Q}\sqrt{n}.$ This object is no longer a field (in some cases). This isn't all that's needed for the final answer to the problem (you will need to modify/play with this to get what you want), but it will hopefully help give you some direction to move in.

Last edited:
GJA said:
Hi Peter,

This is an interesting question
in that the rich structure of each entry being a field is simultaneously helpful and problematic. Ultimately solving this problem (at least using the approach I found) relies on using the extra structure to your advantage when you need it and finding a way to temper it when you don't. Perhaps the best fact to know is, as I mentioned in your other recent post from Bland, that every nonzero element of a field is a unit (and so every field is Artinian). I played with this example for a bit, so that's the best I can do in terms of giving the intuition since it only became clear from the other side of the looking glass.

The following is an effort to provide a hint or two without simply giving you the answers:

For the right Artinian case try looking at what the multiplication of any right ideal

\(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix} A & B \\ 0 & D \end{pmatrix}
\)

($A\subseteq\mathbb{Q},\, B,D\subseteq\mathbb{R}$) by an element of the ring would look like combined with the fact that every nonzero element of a field is a unit and see what you can deduce.

For the non-left-Artinian case since each entry is a field, we need to "de"-field something at some point if there is to be any hope of finding an example of a nonterminating decreasing chain of ideals in $R$. One place to start looking is to things of the form $\mathbb{Q}+\mathbb{Q}\sqrt{n}.$ This object is no longer a field (in some cases). This isn't all that's needed for the final answer to the problem (you will need to modify/play with this to get what you want), but it will hopefully help give you some direction to move in.

Thanks GJA ... appreciate the help ...

Still reflecting on what you have said ...

Peter

Related to Example from Bland - Right Artinian but not Left Artinian ....

1. What is the definition of a right Artinian but not left Artinian ring?

A right Artinian but not left Artinian ring is a non-commutative ring in which every descending chain of right ideals terminates, but there exists a descending chain of left ideals that does not terminate.

2. Can you provide an example of a ring that is right Artinian but not left Artinian?

Yes, an example of such a ring is the ring of upper triangular 2x2 matrices over the real numbers, denoted by R^2x2. This ring is right Artinian because any descending chain of right ideals must terminate, but it is not left Artinian because the chain of left ideals {(0)} ⊃ {(0,0)} ⊃ {(0,0)} ⊃ ... does not terminate.

3. What is the significance of a ring being right Artinian but not left Artinian?

The significance of this property is that it shows the non-commutativity of the ring. In a commutative ring, left and right ideals are equivalent, so a ring cannot be right Artinian without also being left Artinian. However, in a non-commutative ring, this is not the case and the properties of left and right ideals can differ.

4. How is the property of being right Artinian but not left Artinian related to other properties of rings?

This property is related to the concepts of Noetherian and Artinian rings. A ring is Noetherian if every ascending chain of ideals terminates, and it is Artinian if every descending chain of ideals terminates. A right Artinian but not left Artinian ring is neither Noetherian nor Artinian. It is also related to the concept of division rings, as a right Artinian but not left Artinian ring cannot be a division ring.

5. How is the property of being right Artinian but not left Artinian used in mathematics?

This property is used in abstract algebra and ring theory to study and classify different types of rings. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, where it plays a role in the study of non-commutative algebraic varieties. Additionally, this property has applications in coding theory and cryptography, where non-commutative rings are used to create secure coding systems.