Noetherian Rings and the Free R-module R^(n) .... Bland, Corollary 4.2.8 .... ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules" defines right Noetherian rings and the free module R^{ (n) } on page 52. In Section 4.2, Bland focuses on Noetherian and Artinian Modules and states but does not prove Corollary 4.2.8. After some discussion, it is established that the proof of Corollary 4.2.8 can be done using Proposition 4.2.7, considering $R$ as a right $R$-module, and the definition of $R^{ (n) }$. It is then concluded that $R$ is Noetherian if and only if $R^{ (n)
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am focused on Section 4.2: Noetherian and Artinian Modules and need some help to understand the proof of Corollary 4.2.8

Proposition 4.2.7 and its Corollary 4.2.8 read as follows:View attachment 8210Bland states but does not prove Corollary 4.2.8 ...

Can someone please help me to establish a proof for Corollary 4.2.8 ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter=================================================================================The above text by Bland refers to right Noetherian rings and to \(\displaystyle R^{ (n) }\) ... Bland's definitions for these entities follow ...Bland defines right Noetherian rings in Definition 4.2.1 which reads as follows:View attachment 8211Bland defines the free module \(\displaystyle R^{ (n) }\) on page 52 as follows:View attachment 8212
Hope the text above helps ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the "Notation" on p.51, cor.2.2.4. and prop.4.2.7.

steenis said:
Use the "Notation" on p.51, cor.2.2.4. and prop.4.2.7.
By definition (Notation page 51) ... where \(\displaystyle \{ M_\alpha \}_{ i = 1 }^n\) is a family of modules such that \(\displaystyle M_\alpha = M \) ...

... we have that \(\displaystyle M^{ (n) } = M \times M \times \ ... \ ... \ \times M\) ... (n factors)

... in other words \(\displaystyle R^{ (n) } = R \times R \times \ ... \ ... \ \times R\) ... (n factors) ... ... ... ... ... (1)

... and ...

... since we are dealing with a finite direct product we have ...

\(\displaystyle R^{ (n) } \cong \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^n R_\alpha\) where \(\displaystyle R_\alpha = R\) ... ... ... ... ... (2)But ... problem ... formulae (1) and (2) are dealing with rings not modules ... is this a problem ...?

Can you clarify ... ?
Note:

I know a ring can be considered as a "module over itself" ... but does this mean that for the proof we simply consider the rings as modules .. ... ? ... ... or does it have other effects ...

If we just simply consider the rings as modules then it seems to me we can just apply Proposition 4.2.7 with \(\displaystyle M_i = R_i\) ... but then we are not using Corollary 2.2.4 that you suggested was necessary ...

Can you help ...

Peter

Yes, consider $R$ as a right $R$-module, see definition 4.2.1
prop. 4.2.7 will do, cor.2.2.4 is not really necessary

Last edited:
steenis said:
Thanks for the help, Steenis ...

Peter

steenis said:
Thanks again Steenis ...

Proof of Corollary 4.2.8 should then be as follows:

A ring \(\displaystyle R\) is Noetherian (and hence a Noetherian module)

\(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow \bigoplus_{ i = 1 }^n R_i\) is a Noetherian module by Proposition 4.2.7

\(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow R^{ (n) }\) is a Noetherian module by definition of \(\displaystyle R^{ (n) }\) ... Is that correct?

Peter

Yes, that is correct

(mention that $R_i = R$)

1. What is a Noetherian Ring?

A Noetherian ring is a commutative ring in which every ideal can be generated by a finite number of elements. This means that the ring satisfies the ascending chain condition for ideals, where every increasing chain of ideals eventually stabilizes.

2. What is the significance of Bland, Corollary 4.2.8 in relation to Noetherian Rings?

Bland, Corollary 4.2.8 states that if a ring is Noetherian, then every submodule of a finitely generated free module is also finitely generated. This is significant because it shows that Noetherian rings have a strong structure, as even their submodules have finite generation properties.

3. How is an R-module related to a Noetherian Ring?

An R-module is a generalization of a vector space, where instead of working over a field, we work over a ring. A Noetherian ring is important in this context because it ensures that every submodule of a finitely generated R-module is also finitely generated, allowing for more efficient computations and proofs.

4. How does R^(n) relate to Noetherian Rings?

R^(n) is a free module over a ring R, meaning it has a basis of n elements. Noetherian rings are important in this context because they guarantee that every submodule of R^(n) is finitely generated, making computations and proofs easier.

5. Can you provide an example of a Noetherian Ring?

One example of a Noetherian ring is the ring of polynomials over a field, denoted as K[x]. This ring satisfies the ascending chain condition for ideals, as every ideal can be generated by a finite number of polynomials.