Examples of invariant quantities

In summary: However, the electric and magnetic fields are related by the invariance of the Lorentz force law. In the frame where the charge is at rest, only the electric field is present, but its magnitude is larger due to length contraction. In summary, in SR, we know that ##\vec E \cdot \vec B## and ##E^{2}-B^{2}## are invariant. This means that they have the same values in all frames of reference, even when the values of E and B change. Two examples that demonstrate this invariance are (1) transforming between frames where a static electric field is present, and (2) examining an electromagnetic wave in vacuum. Moving charges also contribute to the fields, and the
BookWei
In SR, we know that ##\vec E \cdot \vec B## and ##E^{2}-B^{2}## are invariant.
Although I can prove those two invariant physical quantities mathematically, I do not know how to find at least
one example to demonstrate that ##\vec E \cdot \vec B## and ##E^{2}-B^{2}## are invariant.
Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BookWei said:
I do not know how to find at least
one example to demonstrate that ##\vec E \cdot \vec B## and ##E^{2}-B^{2}## are invariant.

Here are two that you can try:

(1) In one particular frame, the EM field is a static electric field, say the field due to a point charge at the spatial origin. The values of the two invariants are obvious in this frame. Then transform to another frame and verify that the invariants stay the same.

(2) An electromagnetic wave in vacuum.

Say
[tex]\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{E}=0,[/tex]
B and E are perpendicular in all IFRs.

Say
[tex]\mathbf{E^2}-\mathbf{B^2}=0,[/tex]
|B|=|E| in all IFRs.

Electromagnetic wave in vacuum is a good example that has these properties in any IFR.

As for electrostatic cases where all charges are still and B=0 everywhere, the invariant says that |E|>|E0| where E0 is original electric field and E is one Lorentz transformed. I assume moving charges make more electric field because multiple signals are sent from the past charge positions, or Lorentz contract of distance enlarge Coulomb force. I will appreciate it if someone could show me a precise explanation.

Last edited:
sweet springs said:
I assume moving charges make more electric field

They also make a magnetic field; in any frame other than the rest frame of the charge, B is nonzero.

Likes sweet springs

1. What are some examples of invariant quantities in physics?

Examples of invariant quantities in physics include the speed of light, the charge of an electron, and the gravitational constant. These quantities remain constant regardless of the frame of reference or location in the universe.

2. How are invariant quantities important in scientific research?

Invariant quantities serve as fundamental building blocks for scientific theories and models. They provide a consistent framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems, and allow for comparisons and measurements across different experiments and observations.

3. Can invariant quantities change over time?

No, by definition, invariant quantities remain constant over time. They are considered fundamental and unchanging properties of the universe.

4. Are there any invariant quantities in biology?

While the concept of invariance is more commonly used in physics, there are some examples of invariant quantities in biology. These include the genetic code, which remains constant in all organisms, and certain physiological constants such as body temperature.

5. How do scientists determine if a quantity is invariant?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, experimental observations, and mathematical calculations to determine if a quantity is invariant. If a quantity remains unchanged in all applicable situations, it can be considered invariant.