Excel Projectile Motion: Predicting Trajectory with Wind Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating an excel worksheet to predict the trajectory of a projectile. The main topic of concern is calculating wind along the Z axis and its effect on the trajectory. The conversation covers various methods for calculating the force of drag and wind, including the use of vectors and differential equations. The importance of considering the velocity of the ball in all three axes is also discussed.
mysticjbyrd
I am attempting to create an excel worksheet that accurately predicts the trajectory of a projectile.

Anyways, I am having some trouble with calculating wind along the Z axis, left or right of the target.
Y axis is up in the air
X axis is towards the target
Z axis is left or right of target

Fd = force of drag
Fw = force of wind
Fb = force applied on golf ball
p = Rho, density of air
Cd = Drag coefficient
V = velocity
A = Area, which for a sphere I am using A = PI(Diameter)^2 /4
m= mass of golf ball
a = acceleration of ball
t = time
z = distance off from z-axis

Force of wind(Fw) ->
<- Force of drag(Fd)I am using,
Fd = 1/2*p*Cd*V^2*A

So,
Fw = 1/2*p*Cd*Vw^2*A
Vw = simply wind speed, Fw is constant

and

Fd = 1/2*p*Cd*Vd^2*A
Vd = Fw / mass * time

then
Fw - Fd = Fb
Fb = force applied on ball

Fb/mass = acceleration of ball

then
z = Vot + 1/2at^2

I am getting an acceleration that is roughly constant since I am dealing with low wind speeds and short time of flight. However, I am getting extremely low #'s for the distance the ball strays off on Z axis. I get the same answer if I use a constant acceleration or time stamps.

Information with just variables is fine with me, but if you want the data for some reason...
mass of golf ball = 0.04593
diameter of golf ball = 0.04267
Wind velocity = .44704 m/s
Rho = 1.1735 kg/m^3
Cd = .3878
time of flight = 1 sec

I am getting 0.0007221 meters off on z-axis.

Not sure where I am going wrong... Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mysticjbyrd said:
Information with just variables is fine with me, but if you want the data for some reason...
mass of golf ball = 0.04593
diameter of golf ball = 0.04267
Wind velocity = .44704 m/s
Rho = 1.1735 kg/m^3
Cd = .3878
time of flight = 1 sec

I am getting 0.0007221 meters off on z-axis.

I'm getting 10 times that when I calculate it.

The way you calculate the drag and the force of the wind is wrong, you can't separate them
You need to add the vectors of the wind speed and the apparent wind because of the velocity of the ball, calculate the magnitude of the result, and calculate the total force from that, and then separate the force again in x, y and z components.
You'll get a much bigger force in the z direction that way. This is the same effect that makes cyclists feel more drag if there is a wind from the side.

Treating the drag force or the wind force as constant will only work if the velocity of the ball
changes little. Even in 1 second you get 10 m/s velocity change in the downward direction. This will have an influence on the windforce too. You really need to compute the solution of a set of differential equations for any realistic golfball trajectory. I suppose it can be done in excel with one row for each timestep.

fatra2 said:
Look here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=351066

I just answered the same question to this dude.

Cheers

You were too late. Also your method won't work if the drag force is proportional to the square of the velocity, because you no longer can compute the x and y components separately.

willem2 said:
You were too late. Also your method won't work if the drag force is proportional to the square of the velocity, because you no longer can compute the x and y components separately.

In the case of a projectile thrown in the air, the drag force is linearly proportional to the velocity. Of course, you must consider that the air is homogenous.

Cheers

fatra2 said:
In the case of a projectile thrown in the air, the drag force is linearly proportional to the velocity. Of course, you must consider that the air is homogenous.

It's only linear for small velocities. While mysticjbyrd doesn't give the ball velocity, he is using quadratic friction. Everything I can find about friction with golfball sized objects uses a
quadratic friction force, as did mysticjbyrd so I have to assume a quadratic friction force here.

willem2 said:
I'm getting 10 times that when I calculate it.

The way you calculate the drag and the force of the wind is wrong, you can't separate them
You need to add the vectors of the wind speed and the apparent wind because of the velocity of the ball, calculate the magnitude of the result, and calculate the total force from that, and then separate the force again in x, y and z components.
You'll get a much bigger force in the z direction that way. This is the same effect that makes cyclists feel more drag if there is a wind from the side.

Treating the drag force or the wind force as constant will only work if the velocity of the ball
changes little. Even in 1 second you get 10 m/s velocity change in the downward direction. This will have an influence on the windforce too. You really need to compute the solution of a set of differential equations for any realistic golfball trajectory. I suppose it can be done in excel with one row for each timestep.

Could you give me an example of what you did? I am still a little confused.

Last edited:
suppose the ball is moving at 10 m/s, and you have 1 m/s wind from the side.
The speed of the ball relative to the air is [tex] v = \sqrt{v_{ball}^2+{v_wind}^2} [/tex] = 10.05 m/s
the friction force is (1/2)*C*A*v^2. The sideways component of this is (1/2)*C*A*v*v_wind
this more than 10 times as big as the force of the wind on a stationary ball

Ok so what you are saying is that you have to consider the velocity of the ball from both the X and Z.

But what about the velocity of the Y axis as the ball falls?

Sorry to be so annoying, I have only had 1 semester of physics thus far, and I appreciate the help.

can anyone else give me some more input? Thanks

willem2 said:
suppose the ball is moving at 10 m/s, and you have 1 m/s wind from the side.
The speed of the ball relative to the air is [tex] v = \sqrt{v_{ball}^2+{v_wind}^2} [/tex] = 10.05 m/s
the friction force is (1/2)*C*A*v^2. The sideways component of this is (1/2)*C*A*v*v_wind
this more than 10 times as big as the force of the wind on a stationary ball

You are using wind relative to the ground and not the ball... The ball won't be traveling anywhere near 1 m/s on z axis

can anyone else give me some more input? Thanks

If you're using small timesteps, the most naive possible algorithm works well; you don't need to use y=v0t+1/2gt^2. In each timestep, calculate:

1) acceleration (in x, y, z)
2) velocity
3) position
4) total drag force (remember to use the speed of the air as the ball sees it, not as the ground sees it)
5) components of drag force (you'll have to do some trigonometry for this one)
6) in the next time step acceleration will be calculated again

Also, golf balls usually have a time of flight much longer than one second.

1. What is "Excel projectile motion"?

"Excel projectile motion" refers to the use of Microsoft Excel to model and analyze the motion of an object launched or thrown into the air. It involves using equations and data to create a visual representation of the object's trajectory.

2. How does Excel help with analyzing projectile motion?

Excel allows for easy input and manipulation of data, as well as the ability to create graphs and charts to visualize the motion of the object. It also has built-in functions that can be used to solve equations and calculate important variables, such as velocity and acceleration.

3. What are the key equations used in Excel projectile motion?

The key equations used in Excel projectile motion are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations involve variables such as time, initial velocity, and acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can Excel be used to predict the trajectory of an object in real life?

Yes, Excel can be used to predict the trajectory of an object in real life, as long as accurate data and equations are used. However, it is important to note that there may be external factors, such as air resistance, that may affect the accuracy of the prediction.

5. Are there any limitations to using Excel for projectile motion analysis?

One limitation of using Excel for projectile motion analysis is that it assumes a perfect environment with no external forces, such as air resistance. Additionally, it relies on accurate input of data and equations, so any human error can affect the accuracy of the results.