Excel Question (asking for a friend)

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, a friend on another site reached out to me with a question regarding using Excel. I told him I know nothing about it, but that I could probably find someone who does. I provided a link to a description of how to use Excel's SUMIF function to solve the problem.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Hello All! (Wave)

A friend on another site reached out to me with a question regarding using Excel. I told him I know nothing about it, but that I could probably find someone who does. Here is his question:

Here's the sheet (fantasy basketball nerding with my buddy, we make a killing every year- this is not at all private so don't worry about that):

XdA2yzt.png

So 26B and 26C are what we've personally paid thus far. This information is individually recorded the columns D (the price) and E (the payer) already. I'm positive there's a formula I could plug into cell 26B that would display the sum of all the values in column D that corresponded to "LS" in E, and one I could plug into cell 27B that would display the sum of all the values in column D that corresponded to "JB" in E. You see what I'm getting at? I just don't know how.

Feel free to enjoy the inanity of our team names, which we come up by sending each other random pics we'll use as team logos. We often make team names subtly (or not) indicating that we're the super fan of a particular team (and we're not), just so other owners think we'll have a thing for that team's players.

Full scale psychological warfare, Mark, last year we won like 6k (on top getting our investment back).

Thanks for any help! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MarkFL,

This can be done using Excel's built-in SUMIF function. I was going to type something more detailed out, but I think the link below is pretty good. The one thing worth noting is that the "IF" condition of the function can include character strings to check against.

Here is a link to its description with an example that your friend can apply to his situation. https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2014/11/04/excel-sumif-function-formula-examples/

Hope this helps!

GJA said:
Hi MarkFL,

This can be done using Excel's built-in SUMIF function. I was going to type something more detailed out, but I think the link below is pretty good. The one thing worth noting is that the "IF" condition of the function can include character strings to check against.

Here is a link to its description with an example that your friend can apply to his situation. https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2014/11/04/excel-sumif-function-formula-examples/

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much! My friend said that "worked like a charm." (Yes)

What is Excel and what is it used for?

Excel is a spreadsheet software program developed by Microsoft. It is used for organizing, analyzing, and storing large amounts of data. It also allows for creating charts, graphs, and performing calculations.

How do I add data to an Excel spreadsheet?

To add data to an Excel spreadsheet, you can either type it directly into the cells or copy and paste it from another source. You can also use the "Insert" tab to add new cells, rows, or columns to your spreadsheet.

Can I customize the appearance of my Excel spreadsheet?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your Excel spreadsheet by changing the font, color, and cell formatting. You can also add borders, merge cells, and insert images or shapes for a more visually appealing spreadsheet.

How do I perform calculations in Excel?

To perform calculations in Excel, you can use built-in formulas or create your own. Simply enter the formula into a cell and press enter to get the result. You can also use the "AutoSum" feature to quickly add up a range of cells.

Is there a way to protect my Excel spreadsheet from being edited by others?

Yes, you can protect your Excel spreadsheet by using the "Protect Sheet" feature under the "Review" tab. This allows you to password protect your spreadsheet and restrict certain users from making changes to it.