Excel Simulation help - Electron runaway with given frictional force (Bethe)

In summary, the author is trying to use a given energy-loss equation to simulate runaway electrons, but is having difficulty setting up the spreadsheet correctly. The author doubts their physics if they cannot fix the spreadsheet.
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

I'm trying to create a simple excel simulation for runaway electrons using a given energy-loss per unit distance equation (Bethe formula).
I'm stepping through time (pico-seconds) and giving the the electric field some initial value at a distance of 1mm and from there basically using energy and equations from special relativity to calculate other parameters.
I'm having serious issues setting the spreadsheet up correctly I've been trying for a few weeks now and keep having problems with circular references.
I've literally got no idea how to fix it so if someone could please help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

4Kaga8j.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation given above is only correct for kinetic energies greater than the kinetic energy which causes the peak of the graph below, so i had to find a linear fit to approximate the beginning portion of the graph.
26Ji8jW.png

I'm starting to doubt if my physics is correct.

Spreadsheet is attached! please take a look if possible.

Ps:- not sure if this was the correct place to post.

Attachments

• Latest try 08-11-2014.xlsx
    851.5 KB · Views: 241
I really have no idea, I've been struggling with this for over a week now.

At some point, you have to say "okay, I'll use this value for the next time step". It does not matter much where you do it, but it has to be done.

Also, your simulation won't start if you do not use an initial velocity and use the energy as main parameter instead of the velocity. No motion, no distance, no gained kinetic energy.

A picosecond looks like a long step, especially for low energy.

Why do you have a quadratic dependence of your field on distance?

Your calculation of x looks odd. Why do you take the difference between velocities?

Okay so I've played around with the spreadsheet some more, thank you for pointing out my x calculation It was a mistake on my part.
I lowered the step to $$10^{-14}s$$ and fixed the calculation of x.
The electric field is essentially a ratio of the initial field $$E_o$$ and initial distance $$x_o$$ with the field at a distance x, this is because i have to vary the initial field to investigate energy loss against distance, I believe the ratio is correct.
The only thing confusing me now, is the resolution of forces, (if i have fixed the circular reference fine) would the accelerating force be equal to; $$f_a=E$$for an electron when working in eV? or; $$f_a=eE$$.

I was also told to start the simulation at zero velocity, because I initially gave the electron some thermal velocity but I was told to change it.

Attached: Updated version of spreadsheet.

Thank you so much for your help, I've been tearing my hair out for days trying to get assistance.

Attachments

• Attempt 4.xlsx
    2.4 MB · Views: 245
Matt atkinson said:
I was also told to start the simulation at zero velocity
Then you should use position and velocity as main variables. All other parameters are just helping to get the next velocity and position.

Some formulas are still odd.

I think the electric field has some keV <-> eV mixture.
The total energy uses the position instead of the position difference to get updated.

I would start all over again, fixing bugs in this mess is more work.

I'm sorry, but i do not understand what do you mean the electric field has keV <-> mixture?
Okay I'll try to start again thank you!

The electric field is given in eV/m but you use it as keV/m in other columns.

Oh thank you, I did not notice that !

Oh but wait if, its an initial field coming from another point source would it still be in eV/m?

It does not matter which units you use, but you cannot mix them without conversion factors.

okay, so basically if i use the electric field in another column i need to divide it by 1000? to change it to KeV?
also for the resultant force column I am not sure whether i should be multiplying the electric field by e because right now I'm just using E+drag force=resultant force.

If you want to use the electric field given in eV/m as keV/m in another column, then sure you have to divide it by 1000.

If you have a length in kilometers in one column and want to know the length in meters in another formula, then you have to multiply it by 1000 as 1km=1000m. Same concept.

E is not the force. The force is F=qE. And make sure your units match (in eV, this is quite easy).

I know it is quite easy its just It's had me so confused for a while now.
Thanks so much for the help I think I've got it working now !

Related to Excel Simulation help - Electron runaway with given frictional force (Bethe)

What is the purpose of an Excel simulation for electron runaway with given frictional force?

The purpose of an Excel simulation for electron runaway with given frictional force is to model and analyze the behavior of electrons in a given system, taking into account the effects of frictional forces. This can help researchers better understand and predict the behavior of electrons in real-world situations.

What is the Bethe formula in relation to electron runaway?

The Bethe formula is an equation used to calculate the energy loss of a charged particle, such as an electron, as it passes through a material. In the context of electron runaway, the Bethe formula is used to calculate the energy loss due to frictional forces acting on the electrons.

How is frictional force calculated in the Excel simulation?

In the Excel simulation, frictional force is calculated using the Bethe formula, which takes into account the properties of the material the electrons are passing through, as well as the velocity and charge of the electrons.

What are the key factors that affect electron runaway in this simulation?

The key factors that affect electron runaway in this simulation are the initial velocity of the electrons, the material they are passing through, and the strength of the frictional force acting on them. These factors can be adjusted in the simulation to observe their effects on the runaway behavior of the electrons.

How can the Excel simulation results be used in real-world applications?

The results of the Excel simulation can be used to inform and improve the design of electronic devices and systems, as well as aid in the development of new materials for electronic components. The simulation can also be used to study and understand the behavior of electrons in various environments, such as in space or in different types of materials.